Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Build-WIP

• 97 Replies
Re: First Armor Build-WIP
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:56 PM »
That should work.  I'm not an expert, though.

Ok guess ill have to try it to see. 

Updates on the armor, I got the coat of silver on the armor then hit with clear coat and I also got my stickers! One is going on the left shoulder bell sorta like shown below and it also looks good on my computer.  :D

« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:57 PM »
It's been a little while since I posted here but I have yet to put the Velcro on the vest or the plates hopefully doing it tomorrow but here is my idea for the placement on my armor, but the places on the armor the are diagonal (Upper chest plates and collar) the Velcro will be parallel to it. Also since my armor has a curved edge, I was thinking of gluing down foam layers behind the Velcro so it would sit flush with the armor. Would this work?

« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:48 PM »
Finally got the Velcro on the vest and I noticed this. Does the collar and the back piece have to be aligned so it looks like one piece that was cut off or it this good? I also trimmed up the Codpiece now just need to form it a little.

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Looks like you are on the right track.

You'll want to make sure that the velcro is not visable. Currently we can see it under the edge of your collar plate.

Additionally, you'll want to make sure that all of the edges of your armor are in contact with the flak vest.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Looks like you are on the right track.

You'll want to make sure that the velcro is not visable. Currently we can see it under the edge of your collar plate.

Additionally, you'll want to make sure that all of the edges of your armor are in contact with the flak vest.

Phew, and will get more Velcro on the plates soon

More updates on the armor Since the Velcro on the vest I finally start on my bandolier here is how it sorta looks like. Where the masking tape is there will be these greeblies there. One slight problem with the bandolier, I does not really want to stay like that in the photo any recommendations to fix this?  and I also got the codpiece formed.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Maybe try a method of attaching the bandolier to the vest just behind the collar? Everything looks great so far, plate spacing is spot on. As for the back, see if you can get a picture with the backplate on, it may need some trimming to make it slimmer on the sides.

Glad to see things are moving along!  :mcq1:

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:56 PM »
Sweet!! and I will get that up soon and slight update I deiced to paint the spacers in the greeblies here is how they turned out

EDIT I forgot, I may change out my vest  to this material which is pleather the other material which is called "Cosplay by Yaya Han Hex Fabric -Black" just because it may not last for as long as this it is also rather stretchy so it may also move spacing around after a few wearings

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2019, 11:16 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Yeah, I would go with the pleather over that "professional cosplayer's" fabrics.  Heard too many horror stories about people getting chemical burns from it.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #33 on: Mar 05, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Yeah, I would go with the pleather over that "professional cosplayer's" fabrics.  Heard too many horror stories about people getting chemical burns from it.

Yikes! :o Definitely swapping out the vest then 

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Check around to see if there are places that do wholesale of leather. Personally I've always dug a good duck cloth vest!  ;D  :mcq1:

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:48 AM »
My original vest was made from a leather jacket.  But, yes, duck cloth is a good choice.  It breathes.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Thank you both for the advice, but that one is the new vest I am going to use, this is the one that is made out of the Cosplay fabric material (shown below) which I will no longer use, looking to at that the post I see that I worded that post very weirdly, sorry for the confusion.

« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Here is the back piece on me, it is not on the new vest I am going to use, but I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. If it does, Ill get it on the new vest tomorrow

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2019, 11:20 PM »
Thanks backplate could use a bit of a trim. Probably up to half an inch on either side. Left and right.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #39 on: Mar 09, 2019, 12:25 AM »
Thanks backplate could use a bit of a trim. Probably up to half an inch on either side. Left and right.

Is it necessary because there a curved edge all along the back piece and i think it could be noticeable if i do trim it.  also quick question, when say left and right, do you mean something along the lines of this? and if so what would be the best way of doing that? Dremel?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2019, 10:29 AM »
It isnt necessary, but it will help the plate not to be too big for you.

Yes that is almost exactly what I mean. With this being a DHPFX plate, dremel would work or you can use tin snips. ABS tends to heat up and cause problems with dremels so it will take a bit of time and patience.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #41 on: Mar 09, 2019, 02:01 PM »
It isnt necessary, but it will help the plate not to be too big for you.

Yes that is almost exactly what I mean. With this being a DHPFX plate, dremel would work or you can use tin snips. ABS tends to heat up and cause problems with dremels so it will take a bit of time and patience.
Ok ill think about doing it.

Update: I got the armor on the new vest spacing is a bit off, I feel like the ab is a little tight wise spacing wise but that is the beauty of Velcro, it's adjustable. I am also going to shorten the bandolier so it doesn't fall down as much or move around me as much. I will also add small bit of Velcro between the collar and back piece to help with that as well like what Kol Var'Das suggested.  Also I just realized for this picture I put it on the right shoulder but once done it's complete it will go on the left shoulder

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2019, 02:05 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:58 PM »
I'm personally concerned about your velcro layout if it's as depicted in the mockup picture, but I also arguably over-velcro my plates. I practically cover in the inside, but  my plates never shift :P. In previous pics your plates were just fine, so with more velcro you shouldn't have it shift with the bandolier. Another suggestion in that vein, if you're going to keep the bandolier, it might behoove you to put two or three small velcro points on the plates and bando so that it doesn't shift and possibly move your plates out of alignment. 

The Solo belt should be just fine; especially as with the Solo movie it's been established as simply a holster and belt type that Han happens to wear, what with Beckett using the same style (albeit with double holster).

I've also heard of the Yaya Han fabric causing chemical burns to people, but as I understand it that was one particular batch of fabric. Either way, it's kind of sub-optimal for armor mounting from what I've seen handling it in-store, so moving on to duck cloth is definitely a good move. Pleather is also nice in that, as a more rigid material, it helps with keeping the plates from moving around much, but it is definitely less breathable, and you'll end up swimming in your own sweat. I sweat at room temperature, but with the layers of plastic and fabric pretty much everyone sweats in mando armor :P.

Coming along well, though! Trimming the back plate certainly won't hurt, too, both for sizing purposes and comfort.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #43 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:02 PM »
I did change up the up velcro placement so and it does shift around as much.  Instead of Velco on the plates I may just have some magnets in the pockets that way if i decide not to wear the bandolier the velcro is not shown when its off but ill have to experiment  and see it that works or not.  and good point about the holster did even think of that.. but will still do some minor mods just to make it mine and not solo's.

Side note I have been looking around for a container to store my armor in. what do you all use?  I have been looking at these two they seem a bit big but i could be wrong. 

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #44 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:29 AM »
I personally like the husky. While it is bigger than what you may need, it does allow for expansion of your kit.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

JEStucker

• Come and Take it
« Reply #45 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:05 AM »
No matter what you choose to transport your kit in, it will never be big enough.
Always go bigger than what you think you might need.  It allows for layers of fabric between components so you don't scratch or damage things, as well as packing material so things don't shift in transit to and from events.  You'll be amazed at how much room you really need for the whole kit to be stored nicely for any period of time.

I've barely started a kit, but from other cosplay things in the past, the space disappears faster than you ever realize.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #46 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:50 AM »
I'd go with the husky bin. I have the sterilite, and while it's big enough for me to fit two kits in if I pack it properly, the handle is a pain in the shebs to deal with.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #47 on: Mar 14, 2019, 12:09 AM »
thank yall Ill get the husky then,

Any ways here's my armor progress

The vest will be trimmed up ( It makes look like I am shrugging but I am not) and the installing the knees and codpice will be done tomorrow as well as finishing the bandolier as well. Let know if you seen anything off, but it will be ready enough for ECCC! ;D

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:32 AM »
Good follow through on the concept to application!

One tip when taking pictures, try to stand more erect so it doesn't pull your head forward. Makes you look more confident  :)

Plates are very close to fitting you perfect , I would recommend shaping the corners of your ab plate a bit more. Granted at ECCC you will have tons of help from the other MMCC members eyes.

Best of luck at your first event in kit! You always learn a lot about things you want to do better after trooping for a while.  :cookie:

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval
« Reply #49 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Will do and ECCC was a blast! And I found some mercs there, I got a lot of feedback on my kit. I was over all comfy and in the costume 
What's good:
Boots
Helmet
Waist items
Flight Suit

What needs improvement:
The ab plate needs some trimming and forming so its above the belly button
 The collar piece was wonky, but I think what happened was the one of the Velcro pieces came off made it look weird (see below)
The codpiece is too small, I need to make a larger sized one 
The chest plates need to be rotated a little and the “Fangs” needs the formed inward to fit me better
Backpiece needs to be trimmed 

Other Recommendations:
Gauntlets could be greebled up a little more
The vest is good, but they highly recommend changing for comfort which I will to because I was a tad sweaty afterwards. While I was relatively cool the convention center, it could be a problem that's worse in the summer and I don’t want to feel like a rotisserie cooked porg while walking around.  :porg2: 
Otherwise, I am really close!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!