Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Build-WIP

• 97 Replies

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: First Armor Build-WIP
« Reply #50 on: Mar 21, 2019, 12:20 PM »
You seem to have most of the improvements needed covered. One additional suggestion from me is tighten up the bandolier, and maybe add a few discreet magnets or patches of velcro to get the pouches sitting evenly. Oh, and I recommend either dyeing (or painting) the bandolier black to match the belt and holster, or those two brown to match the bandolier. It's not necessarily an approvability thing, but it always looks tighter, better when your 'strappy bits' match, more or less. If you're concerned about dyeing, you can also pick up acrylic leather paint and get the same effect. I think changing the others to brown would be better than the bando to black, as it'll make the holster pop more in comparison to the black soft parts. Otherwise, make those other fixes and you'll be in awesome shape.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #51 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Sweet! I did have a small piece of Velcro on my shoulder but it also fell off, so I will look into magnets instead of Velcro and have it in multiple places so it does not sag. Ill look into the paint, the holster is not real leather would that effect the finish of the paint?

« Reply #52 on: Apr 30, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but I do have some things in the works I got a larger codpiece cut out and have also brain storming Ideas for the gauntlets because right now it has nothing on it. Here is the concept for the right one the two buttons will keyboard keys that will be painted up the three dots will be LED lights and the multicolored rectangles will be wired and then the screen in the middle will be a printout of something. What do you all think?

As for the right one I am not sure how add to it any suggestions?

Both will have these planning on using styrene to create the illusion of an opening

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #53 on: Apr 30, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Sorry I missed your last question, I was in full Celebration prep at that point and barely checked the boards :P. Leather paint works pretty well on vinyl as well; I have a few friends that do superhero cosplay that have painted all manner of faux leathers with it.

Your vambrace concept looks just fine and will be a good addition to gussy up that plain shell you have going on :). Not really sure if additions are warranted for the other one, as right now it looks like it'll go well with your plans for the right, keeping both streamlined. The faux-opening will add detail to the blank side of the left vambrace, so you won't have that blank space any more; I think they'll look good!

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Your kit is looking really good so far and it looks like you're almost ready for pre-app.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Sorry I missed your last question, I was in full Celebration prep at that point and barely checked the boards :P. Leather paint works pretty well on vinyl as well; I have a few friends that do superhero cosplay that have painted all manner of faux leathers with it.

No worries, hope you had fun!

Your kit is looking really good so far and it looks like you're almost ready for pre-app.

Yup at the five yard line planning on changing out the vest, forming the plates a little more and painting the holster and modding the gauntlet 

Here is  my progress on the holster I am using angelus light brown leather paint and here is a comparison the original and painted

Here is the progress of the gauntlet the LEDs will be on the lower one once its all said and done. Just had them there because that one is a practice one

« Reply #56 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Been a while since I posted here, but here’s what has happened. I realized I forgot to add the knee darts to the knees, so I grabbed them to find this. Upon looking I saw that the gloves somehow took off the paint, so I have to repaint the knee. As for the gloves the silver it took off knee gave me an idea which was to paint the rubber part sliver with enamel which was a bad idea because after a day is was still super tacky and didn’t work so I was about to throw them out when I had an idea which was to use WD-40 because I used prior to get silly putty of a silicone band and it worked like a worked like a charm but still need to some touch up on them. Currently the it the process of repainting the stripe.

How they look now

As for the holster its painted and looks much better than before and added the mythosuar to front buckle

As for the gauntlet I added the fake opening and some other detail to it, then added some primer to it see what needs to be touched up

Question: My back plate is made of ABS how will react to being cut with tin snips is it brittle and will shatter or softer like styrene?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #57 on: Jul 18, 2019, 07:44 PM »
ABS would be better to cut with something like a Dremel.  Just beware of sharp, and VERY hot plastic.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #58 on: Jan 07, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Hello all, I have not posted in quite a while, but now I have a few things in the works such as I am going to add styrene strips to my grenade to give more detail and most likely paint them silver. I have also made progress on my right gauntlet the “viewing screen” has a little slot on the bottom where a small piece of clear styrene can go in. My plan is to make that have interchangeable screens. The three holes to the right of the screen are going to have red, blue, and green LEDS as for the rest of the empty space I am going to place old keyboard keys on it. Then also add the false opening like I did to the other gauntlet.  The keys will be painted black but would they still look to earthy? If so what are some alternatives?

This is what I mean

The fake opening on the left gauntlet

As for the armor plates, I still need to form the ab plate, also will forming it cause paint to crack or mess up some other way? And the back plate I have traced lines on it (A compass works wonders for this) but I need to attach it to the new flak vest first so I can make sure I don’t cut too much off.       

« Reply #59 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:27 PM »
Small update: I got the part on the gauntlet and the holes filled in and sanded also the fake seam line glued on planning on cutting the squares and placing them on soon the gauntlet soon. then paint them up  Still need to do the armor, planning doing it soon just been short on time, aiming for the 3-day weekend coming up to do that. My goal is to start pre-apps end of January to early February

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #60 on: Jan 16, 2020, 11:23 PM »
Good work, Ghost. Let me know if you need anything. I'm excited to see this come together.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Good work, Ghost. Let me know if you need anything. I'm excited to see this come together.
Thanks and will do!
A few more small updates: I got the ab plate formed up and will get the plates on the vest this weekend
I also found this cool USB card that I can make into a small datapad I have some greebles lying around that could do the trick 

With that being said heres is my to do list
Place plates on the vest
Trim vest
Finish up the gauntlets
Finish up the grenade
Trim back plate
Attach magnets to bandolier
Touch up various bits and bobs
Go through the application process
Archive OM status
Do happy dance  :porg2:

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 06:58 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged
« Reply #62 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Hello again more progress has been made I have placed the back plate on to the vest so can get an idea on where to cut. So where would be the best place to?

I just noticed that there is an extra line, it measures about 6in and the highest point

As for the gauntlet I got the three squares on then filled in the gaps with glue if you do this i'd recommend using a spray that helps the glue dry quick so it does not run. I also hit it with a coat of primer so I can see what needs to be done in terms of sanding excess glue

Here is a rough concept of what I have in mind for the little datapad what to you all think?

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #63 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:56 PM »
The arc you cut on your backplate is going to be a matter of personal preference in this case. Could be based on your mobility needs.

I definitely like your datapad. Very clever construction.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP
« Reply #64 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:33 PM »
The arc you cut on your backplate is going to be a matter of personal preference in this case. Could be based on your mobility needs.

I definitely like your datapad. Very clever construction.

Oh good to know and thanks!

So I got the backplate cut plate cut out and hit it with the first coat paint

As for the gauntlets, there is some slight orange peeling on some of the squares so I have sand the paint off and repaint them

For the grenade I got the strips of styrene on it and just to have to paint them up. There a bit hard to see but they are there. 

So this upcoming weekend I plan to finish up the gauntlets, and the other things needing to be done and hopefully get some pre app pics submitted  :boba:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #65 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Excellent progress! Shame on the orange peel, but it happens to the best of us. Could be any of a myriad of problems, unfortunately, and often all you can do is exactly as you did and sand it and repaint. Even if you don't get to quite pre-app level this weekend, I'm sure the others will agree that we look forward to seeing it on you however far you get. Every step forward is worth documenting!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #66 on: Feb 15, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Orange peeling is a total bummer no matter what stage you're at (especially sucks when you're near done  ??? ) Honestly I try to keep my stuff in front of a fan after spraying, and I always have an eye on the humidity. If it's a little more gross than normal (I live in Florida) then I'll let it dry overnight. If it's something that happens immediately, you may have to look at the paints you're using. Are you using similar brand spray paints?

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Thank you both for the tips, I did use the same brand, krylon, but they could have changed up the formula a bit causing the peeling to happen because it seemed more runnier than my old cans of primer. So I sanded it down and reapplied the paint, Ill post pics soon.   

UPDATE:
Here are the pics: they look alot better

I also finished up my grenade

« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 08:34 PM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #68 on: Feb 22, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Last year or the year before (I think) Krylon picked up Valspar and merged their production. As I understand it, they're going with the old Krylon formula, as it was determined to be as good or superior to Valspar's, but a difference in production or even some kind of formula tweaking could easily have happened.

Second round definitely looks better, and that grenade came out pretty good. You keeping it those colors, or looking to paint it still?

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #69 on: Feb 22, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Really love that grenade!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #70 on: Feb 24, 2020, 12:04 AM »
Last year or the year before (I think) Krylon picked up Valspar and merged their production. As I understand it, they're going with the old Krylon formula, as it was determined to be as good or superior to Valspar's, but a difference in production or even some kind of formula tweaking could easily have happened.

Good to know, I'll have to keep an eye out for my local guys!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #71 on: Feb 25, 2020, 04:55 PM »

Second round definitely looks better, and that grenade came out pretty good. You keeping it those colors, or looking to paint it still?
Interesting just a thing of note I thought I said this, but apparently it stayed in my brain, I used an older can of aluminum and a new can of primer so I think if someone uses new can and a new can it will be fine, just be weary of old and new. As for the grenade, i'm not sure if I will, I think for now its fine.   

Also, don’t leave the tape on for too long…..

Not to worry, I lightly sanded it, hit it with a new coat so it should be good to go

On an another note, my armor in on the vest! I'll post pics soon :)

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #72 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:35 PM »
I agree with that!  I exclusively used Krylon on my whole kit and loved the way I can work with it.  I did have a problem last year... possibly with an old can of clear that messed up some spots over white.  But all in all... even in my  Ohio garage this winter I’ve had good success.

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Kol Varek

« Reply #73 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:07 PM »
This happens from time to time, and can be really frustrating. I'd recommend bringing the drying pieces inside under a floor or desk fan, and giving them plenty of time to dry and cure. You may also want to look into Frog Tape, which is great for painting and is more forgiving when it comes to masking.

« Reply #74 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:51 PM »
This happens from time to time, and can be really frustrating. I'd recommend bringing the drying pieces inside under a floor or desk fan, and giving them plenty of time to dry and cure. You may also want to look into Frog Tape, which is great for painting and is more forgiving when it comes to masking.
Good to know but I had on for about the week.
As for updates: the gauntlets are almost ready for a clear coat

More importantly the armor is on! Feels good to have the ol’ beskar on
Here it is without the bandolier, I need to place some Velcro on the chest plates so they don’t sag forward

With the bandolier Its pushing the chest plate down abit  I am planning to but some magnets on where the red dots are, thoughts?

Ill trim the vest soon just want to finalize the spacing

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!