Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kath Gra'tuur's Mark II: WIP -- New Kit! (Pic heavy)

• 51 Replies

Kath Gra'tuur

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
Re: Kath Gra'tuur's Mark II: WIP -- New Kit! (Pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Good afternoon!  I wanted to give a quick update.  I've got some pics of the collar and chest plates on the vest I am working on.  Here's the pics and info:

Vest:

I'll add this in my soft parts WIP when I start it as well.  But the quick information is the vest is canvas that I have double layered.  I'll be adding in shoulder bells and will be closing it with straps and buckles on the sides. 

Collar and Chest plates

Here are the pics with the collar and chest plates.  I have them temporaily atached with magnets.  I plan on using magnets as my permanent attachment as well.  They are 20  mm by 3 mm (a little bit bigger than a nickel).  I thought about screws and posts, but I don't want to put holes through the canvas.  It likes to fray. 

I also have some pics with the paper template of the ab piece for sizing.  Let me know what you think about sizing and shaping.  I know that spacing is  a little wonky . I'm only using two magnets per plate for these pics. 

And one quick pic of the new bucket.  First coat of metallic. 

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Soft Part WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=165633.0

Armor WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=163155.0

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Looks to my eye that your collar will need a bit more love.  Photo from the right shows some gaps below, probably want that to sit a bit flatter.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
M.A.C.K#51 O.O.P.S#48 G.O.M.O.L#34 O.S.B.A. #08
P.W.S.#007 Mando Wraps#04 B.O.B.B#32

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Yeah, the right side of the collar needs a little tweak.
Size looks good, but you'll need to bring them in towards the middle a bit more.  Around the diamond doesn't need to be the full thumb-width between it and the chest plates.

You are definitely on the right track.  Keep it up! :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Thanks vode! I will work on the collar piece.  I'm wondering if it might be a combination of the way my arm was in the pic and the temporary attachment method?

But when I look at the pic from the front, it looks like maybe the bottom corner on my right side might be a little floating (?). 

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Soft Part WIP:

Armor WIP:

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:07 AM »
I want to start work on my new  backplate.  I have the template cut out for the standard Jango back plate, but am thinking about doing a segmented backplate.  I saw this backplate design from Raestin Ke'Varek on the forums.  Is this acceptable for a modern era kit? 

Also, I made a duct tape cast of my torso yesterday to help with backplate, armor fitting, etc.  Additionally, I cut out my ab plate and molded it.  I don't have a picture of it on me yet though. 

Also, I have an updated mock up of my helmet color design.

As always, your feedback is much appreciated!

Soft Part WIP:

Armor WIP:

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2019, 12:18 PM »
Segmented back plates are fine for modern kits.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:42 PM »
I have cut out the paper templates and taped them to my in-progress flak vest.  How does the sizing look of the plates/  (Also, I will be sewing on pieces for the shoulder, so there will be more "vest" extending from the shoulder area. 

Also, any tips on keeping those edges from fraying on the neck line of the vest?  I had seen a mixture of water and white glue, but was not sure if that would work or would be washable (hand washable) later. 

Soft Part WIP:

Armor WIP:

Torolf Goran

• Awards Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:02 AM »
Sizing looks good to me. Most craft or fabric stores sell fabric tape or special fabric glue to stop fraying. I think it's usually called liquid stitch or stitch free.

M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:38 AM »
Your choice of colours work really well together. Backplate looks good too, size looks good from the ducttape dummy

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Arkham

• Awards Special Weapons 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Looking good!

Keep in mid you may need to trim the lower panel of your backplate. They have a tendency to overlap or catch on your waist item. Thinking about that now will not make it as big of a surprise when you do your test fits.

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC #1852 // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:39 AM »
I read through and it looks really good! The back plate looks cool I like it a lot. I don't have much to add beyond what others have said except that having used a duct tape dummy you will want to check the fit on your actual body before getting too far. Carve out a chunk of time with a buddy or at an armor party to fit it to make sure all the plates fit on you before getting deep into the paint job.  :D

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:26 AM »
Sizing looks good to me. Most craft or fabric stores sell fabric tape or special fabric glue to stop fraying. I think it's usually called liquid stitch or stitch free.

Thank you sir!  I will go look for the liquid stitch! 

Your choice of colours work really well together. Backplate looks good too, size looks good from the ducttape dummy

Thank you sir!  I always come back to using blue.  Blue was in my original kit, so adding the green and earthy colors will be new for me. 

Looking good!

Keep in mid you may need to trim the lower panel of your backplate. They have a tendency to overlap or catch on your waist item. Thinking about that now will not make it as big of a surprise when you do your test fits.

Yea.  Iím thinking Iíll probably make that lowest plate a little shorter.  I did not take into account enough the spacing that would be in between the plates.

Do you guys see an issue with the lowest plate not being the exact same height as the others?

I read through and it looks really good! The back plate looks cool I like it a lot. I don't have much to add beyond what others have said except that having used a duct tape dummy you will want to check the fit on your actual body before getting too far. Carve out a chunk of time with a buddy or at an armor party to fit it to make sure all the plates fit on you before getting deep into the paint job.  :D

Good point!  I will do that before I get too far.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Soft Part WIP:

Armor WIP:

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2019, 01:41 PM »
Backplate

I have done the initial shaping of the backplate pieces.  It's hard to get a feel for it right now.  I'm going to be finishing up the vest and will do an attachment to the vest later this weekend (or try to). Here are the initial pics:

Shoulder Bells

Here's the new shoulder bells:

Ab Plate

I had to tweak the shape on the outside of the ab plate.  Here's an updated pic:

Soft Part WIP:

Armor WIP:

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Good morning Vode!   Just wanted to post another update.  I have some updated pics of my gauntlets / vambraces.  I still need to fill in the gap under the toppers, and I have some work to do still on the bottom portion of the left gauntlet along the hinge where I had to do some work to the plastic.  I also have some pics of them on the flight suit for reference.  My plan is to put a little bit of velcro under the closures to help keep them in place. 

(Also, the screws sticking out of the left gauntlet are temporary  ;) .)

Left Gauntlet

Right Gauntlet

On the flight suit

Soft Part WIP:

Armor WIP:

Torolf Goran

« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2019, 03:04 PM »
The plates look good so far but the ab has two pretty sharp bends near the wings that could use to be softened. I'd use minimal heat and just smooth that out a bit so it's a more natural curve. The gauntlets look solid.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!