Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How to best attach armor to suit?

• 13 Replies

Valyn Skirata

• Laughing at your method of travel since 3,997 BBY
How to best attach armor to suit?
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Hi everyone!
I am still in the pre-planning stages of my build (Meaning still thinking, no paper   :D), and I had an idea that didn't show up at all in the CRLs. Would using snap-buttons be approvable? They would, by nature, be invisible underneath the armor and would be relatively simple (I think) to space and to figure out the best layout. They are also very cheap, so it would be doable to use many of them to make sure that the armor's weight doesn't pull at the flight suit weirdly!
Thanks for all your help!

When a Mando messes with the bull, he gets the steak!

Add me on PSN at et99khan!

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
  • Hammersaw
Re: How to best attach armor to suit?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Snaps are completely approvable.  You just need to be absolutely certain you have your spacing right and you're putting them in the right place before you install them, or you'll be filling your vest full of holes as you adjust.

Valyn Skirata

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Okay thanks Sep Ho'ban! I think this would be the way to go for me! I honestly hate messing around with Velcro, and I will probably also use nylon straps for some things as well! Honestly, when everyone was talking about the CRLs they sounded very strict and oppressive, but actually reading them, they were a lot of common sense for keeping quality control! This process will be very fun!

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
  • Hammersaw
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2019, 10:00 AM »
Happy to help! Thanks for the feedback, that's they're real intent :)

Ascalon

• Formerly 'Jedijjs'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:42 PM »
Hey just wanted to give another option. Iím using pins with a safety back. It allows for adjustment of the plates and once they are on they hold pretty securely.

I picked them both up on Amazon:
BronaGrand 100 Pieces Copper Tie Tacks
50 PCS Metal Locking Pin Backs, Pin Keepers Locking Clasp Silver

Sanded down the area where the tack will be and the back of the tack and then used JB Weld to glue them on. They hold pretty well on the back of the plate. And if they pop off itís quick and easy to add a second.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Traícor Clan MMCC1981

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:00 PM »
I used the bolt on method, but just like snaps you need to make sure your spacing is correct before you place the grommets

"Nothing is true, everything is permissive. or as my momma always use to say 'there ain't a dark side or a light side only gray'. You are gonna find many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.'-Zane Ordo on his view of the force.
armor wip
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=133160.0

Valyn Skirata

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Hey just wanted to give another option. Iím using pins with a safety back. It allows for adjustment of the plates and once they are on they hold pretty securely.

I picked them both up on Amazon:
BronaGrand 100 Pieces Copper Tie Tacks
50 PCS Metal Locking Pin Backs, Pin Keepers Locking Clasp Silver

Sanded down the area where the tack will be and the back of the tack and then used JB Weld to glue them on. They hold pretty well on the back of the plate. And if they pop off itís quick and easy to add a second.

That looks interesting, but how do you take them off? Don't you have to reach inside your flight suite hold all of the tabs to remove the pin?
And how to they allow adjustment of the plates?

Ascalon

• Formerly 'Jedijjs'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:33 AM »
That looks interesting, but how do you take them off? Don't you have to reach inside your flight suite hold all of the tabs to remove the pin?
The locking backs are not permenant. The tack goes through your vest and then you put the back on inside your vest. It would be like pinning something on your clothes. If you need to adjust you just pull the backs off of the plate you need to move and reposition it. I have to do a test fitting this weekend of my plates Iíll upload a second photo of the inside of my vest when I do.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Traícor Clan MMCC1981
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:58 PM »
I'm using neodymium magnets for my chest plates. I'm scared to sew.  :laugh: I don't know how they'd hold up for legs and such since they move around more, but I'm going to attempt to use them there, too.

They hold pretty well and given that they're magnets, you can move them around easily until you find right where you want them to go. Use epoxy (or some other glue I guess) to attach one magnet to the back of your torso plates (check where you'd actually need one to tug the plate flush to your body, first!), then just put the plate up to your vest and slip a magnet underneath until it sticks to it. It's fairly easy to move them around until the spacing is right, and then you can use strong duct tape to keep the inside ones where you want, or for a more permanent attachment, cut out little pockets to sew over the magnets so they don't go anywhere.

I think most people use snaps, though. The main downside for the magnets that I see is that they can get expensive if you want really strong ones. I'm using cheapo magnets from amazon that are like $16 for a 20-pack, but they seem to be okay. Worst case scenario, I wasted some money and I'll have to remove all that epoxy.

Ascalon

• Formerly 'Jedijjs'
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2019, 07:16 PM »

Finally got around to test fitting my armor again today. I didnít use every tack I have on each plate just two on each of the chest plates and then a few on the Ab. I donít want to cause anymore trauma to my vest then  necessary during test fittings. But you will get the idea.

And inside the vest you can see the pin backs.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Traícor Clan MMCC1981

Valyn Skirata

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:00 PM »
What about this idea: If I secured the armor to the flight vest very securely so that it doesn't move at all, but instead of having a zipper down the front middle, I could have a discrete zipper going down from an armpit to the bottom of the side of the vest. That way I could put the whole vest/armor on at once? And the armor would only come off for washing/ modification?

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
  • Hammersaw
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2019, 07:14 PM »
The zipper and the pull would need to be covered with a flap, but otherwise good to go

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:44 PM »
These are some cool ideas! I have been looking for alternate attachment methods besides velcro for a little while now. I like velcro, but I do not think it is working out too well for my armor. I have some ideas now though!

Valyn Skirata

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:55 AM »
What about this idea: I could attach the armor to nylon straps via snaps, and then buckle the nylon straps by using those clips like are in walmart grocery carts except very small (idk what those are called)? This would be much easier to measure for the snaps, it wold be tight and solid, and easy to modify the armor! The only problem is if it's allowable to have the nylon straps showing between armor pieces, even if it looks like it's supposed to be there.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!