Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Niccolio's WIP SOS

• 4 Replies
Niccolio's WIP SOS
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Hey all,

I've been at this for quite awhile, I started my construction around Jan 2016 but school, military and work drawn out the process this long.

I've had my clan helping me out but would like to call on anyone to give me some pointers. My main problem includes the blackplate, proper spacing and weathering.

Since I already have most of my stuff assembled, so Ill spare everyone some construction pics.
My armor is made from 3mm Sintra, i have soft parts made from Aria and a helmet from Droodles. Im probably going to commission some gauntlets from someone too.

Here is my initial full kit:

Problem with this was definitely the backplate being way too big, and my attachment for armor was velcro, which started out great, but problems started to arise later on

This was the next update with a new backplate, sash, and some better armor plates

The spacing problem is really visible in these pics, as well as the knee caps and shoes. Ill need to redo the knee caps and find some black boots and spats to made it more well done.

After a year long hiatus, Im starting to pick up the pace again, i replaced the velcro with some very nice neodynium magnets which definitely helped with the spacing, although the pick doesnt really show that much (just take my word for it)

Really REALLY want your guys' help on this issue. I could use some soft part weathering tips, better kneecap ideas, spacing suggestions, and backplate ideas.
Im also open to suggestions for anything you guys see. Dont sugsr coat anything, lay it on me.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
Re: Niccolio's WIP SOS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:52 AM »
I'm not necessarily the person to talk to about spacing just yet, but black soft parts are notoriously difficult to weather. I've seen folks recommend techniques like misting spray paint over the areas of high friction (joints, places things might rub, etc). I also like to wear my flight suit while I work on other things. For example, when you're sanding, little bits of dust get stuck in the fabric of your clothing. So use natural processes such as that to really accentuate natural wear and tear. Heck, you can even take that sandpaper right to your flight suit if you want! I'm rocking a navy blue flight suit myself, so I feel you on the difficulty.

As for your armor weathering, I'm a fan of a beat-up kit that feels lived-in and used. That said, your armor is so shiny! I see spots where you've masked off damage, but I'd love to see the whole thing hit with a black wash and a brown wash (get a crappy cup and some acrylic paint, and mix about 25/75 paint and water and stir). That wash will stick to the natural low and high points of your armor. Your helmet brow, the crevices in the cheeks, the spots where the paint layers meet, etc. The other thing you can really do to bring the shine down is hit it with steel wool or high grit (I'm talking like 1000-grit) sandpaper for about 20 seconds. Think of it as foliage or branches hitting your armor walking through a forest, or bumping into a corner in an urban environment, for instance. Natural wear and tear makes small dings on all of our everyday items, and you want your armor to simulate this.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:05 PM »
I'm not necessarily the person to talk to about spacing just yet, but black soft parts are notoriously difficult to weather. I've seen folks recommend techniques like misting spray paint over the areas of high friction (joints, places things might rub, etc). ...

Thanks for the tips! Ill start weathering the soft parts when all the armor is said and done. As for the shiny armor, i totally agree, however I actually did use acrullic paint on it. In photos, however, it barely shows. In person its visible. Im going to do it again with more exaggeration

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:17 PM »
as stated above a light buffing with wire wool not only will it tone down the sheen of the paint it also promotes adhesion of the colour wash you put on top.... when you have the desired result you can hit it with a layer of matte clearcoat this will seal it and dull down the sheen even further making it look more naturally aged.  ;)

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:23 PM »
Update Time

I fixed up the back plate and made form better to my back, Once it was to my liking I spray painted it, along with the knee and thigh plates and gauntlets because they needed to be redone. Again, I apologize for the low quality photography.

A new addition to my kit is some cheap black boots I picked up from walmart. With the leg wraps, I think they're pretty good. They look kinda thick in the photo, but its pretty tight to my leg.

Despite they new exiting changes I encountered a new problem. The collar plate now looks like its not spaced properly and needs to be re-cut. This wasn't a problem before so Im now (metaphorically) furious that it is now. Can anyone tell me if this absolutely needs to be fixed? Its a subtle spacing issue but id rather not redo everything again.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!