Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Kor'le Concept! (Aka Ryi's concept thread)

• 15 Replies

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
The Kor'le Concept! (Aka Ryi's concept thread)
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Okay so, while Kyria is off making line art, which she'll be helping me with hopefully tonight (...hopefully... I'm not the greatest artist), I figured it would be a good idea to start writing up some of the concepts I have for my kit.

I'll still be keeping the same name I had before, since I realized it's actually technically gender neutral (surprised me, that's for sure). And I've discovered (because let's be honest who doesn't have arguments with their characters on the subject of WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU!?) that he's specifically a sniper with obvious extra weapons/gear to help him out in case of cqc or a up close and personal firefight.

I haven't decided on a specific rifle yet for my sniper rifle, and I'm still toying with the idea of doing something custom if it's okay for me to do a custom blaster rifle. Unfortunately I'm being a bit picky, and by a bit...I mean a lot. However I do have some pretty solid ideas for other weapons he'd have on him/what he'd be packing at any given time besides his rifle.

(Other) Weapons:

• 2 Electro Batons - Story wise I have them being made from two slightly busted lightsabers he found lying about
  • Sidearm - So far the best blaster I've seen that'll work for him is the V-211 Rampage Interceptor
  • Vibro Knife - Possibly, I'm not sure if he'd carry one or not. (Logically he would since he's a sniper that winds up out in the wilderness or in weird places a lot)

Extra Gear/Soft Stuff:

• "Ammo" Pouches - Lots of them, I've noticed from the other sniper builds I've seen while doing research for him that everyone seems to have a ton of ammo pouches similar to the ones that Jango has on his armor
  • Kama - His might be slightly armored, I'm not entirely sure on that yet but he will have one
  • Scouting/Binocular Visor - Still not sure what the actual term for this one is, but that's going to be instead of the small range finder on the side
  • Cloak - His is going to probably have a hood
  • "Shemagh" - If it's allowed, a shemagh style face wrap for when he's in more arid places/extra neck protection

For his actual armor, since I want him to (eventually) be a Special Ops Brigade sniper, I was planning on sticking with Light Armor, just adding on some shin plates so he doesn't kill his legs while stuck in trees or weird spots all day (I've had shin splints before, it's not fun). Hopefully my understanding of the armor classes (from reading through the Armor Class thread) is correct in the fact that he'll still be considered wearing Light Armor with shin plates since that's the only thing he's borrowing from the Medium Armor class.

For his bucket I was planning on going without the range finder (see above scouting/binocular visor) and possibly doing the Sabine style visor (I don't remember the actual term for it) instead of the regular T-Visor but I'm not sure if I want to do that or not. We'll see. For my Mk I I might just stick with a regular T-Visor and see how that looks and if I don't like it I can always change it later. 

The only thing I wasn't entirely sure about was the neck guard, my thought was to just do the simple dog collar with plating on it so some jetti doesn't come and lop my head off. Let me know if that's okay/not okay for Light Armor since that's the one thing I couldn't find a definite answer on.

I am having some trouble figuring out his color scheme/pallet, I want him to blend in in literally almost any environment without him being overly "camo" because I don't want him to look like a Mando fell out of their ship and crash landed into an Army/Navy store.

Here's my one inspiration/reference picture, it's just some artwork I found while looking around on google for Mandalorian Snipers (Not mine, and unfortunately I don't know the artist, but if someone knows I will be happy to put in a link to credit them properly). I'll be working on my own line art with some help from my lovely Kyria (she's the one with the art degree not me). So hopefully that'll be posted soon.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2019, 04:55 PM by Ryi Korle » Logged
Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade!

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Adol dha ca bal munit akaanir,
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.
~ Poem I wrote. (words changed a bit in translation.)

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: The Kor'le Concept! (Aka Ryi's concept thread)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:24 PM »
looks like you have a solid grasp on your backstory.

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:17 AM »
A shemaugh and a hooded cloak might be a bit of fabric overkill.   That said, I do like this concept! :like: :like:

A custom rifle is perfectly fine, as long as it looks like it belongs in Star Wars.  Check out the Approved Weapons Gallery for inspiration.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:16 AM »
A shemaugh and a hooded cloak might be a bit of fabric overkill.   That said, I do like this concept! :like: :like:

A custom rifle is perfectly fine, as long as it looks like it belongs in Star Wars.  Check out the Approved Weapons Gallery for inspiration.

Yeeeeaaahh I realized that like yesterday once I decided I might be doing a ghillie cloak lol. The last thing I want to do is smother myself with fabric!

I do however have some helmet concepts that Kyria drew for me! And my WIP thread is going steady over in the Clan Mav Oya'la sub-forum. (I might do a Weapons WIP thread since that's what I'm working on right now, not sure).

I also finally picked my color pallet!

Since Kyria works in the Paint Department at Home Depot we kind of tackled the colors board the one night while I was there waiting to pick her up from work. So we have: Knighthood, Very Navy, Sterling, and Black. (Since Behr has literally it's own color coding system that doesn't really translate to Hex or RGB, I did my best with a couple free programs online to figure out what the colors are so I can color my mando template from mando maker. Still haven't done that yet lol I need to).

Here's the helmet concepts though!

I'm thinking I might just stick with a normal t-visor when I do my bucket though.

Speaking of buckets...

Is this the right size? I tried asking earlier but nobody said anything!  :laugh: I kid I kid! Nobody shoot me with a blaster! XD Kyria and I had to have some fun while trying to figure out the colors and yes that's me all bundled up with a literal bucket on my head. Please note, that's a 2.1 ish gallon bucket and not very much room to breathe or do anything in so I wouldn't recommend it.

I also finally figured out what the blasted technical term is for the "Scouting visor" as I keep calling it. It's actually macro binoculars! Kyria has a couple ideas about how to attach it and make it move properly (again leaving that in her mad scientist hands for now).

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I know you're joking, but a lot of truth is said in jest ;)

Most people who do the bucket from a bucket build go with the 5 gallon bucket. The plastic on the smaller buckets is often thinner, and might be too thin for what we're doing.  If it's the same thickness as the orange 5 gallon, might actually be workable, but you have to keep in mind you're going to lose half an inch to an inch at the top (of your head, bottom of the bucket), and all the plastic where the brim is.   

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:38 AM »
I know you're joking, but a lot of truth is said in jest ;)

Most people who do the bucket from a bucket build go with the 5 gallon bucket. The plastic on the smaller buckets is often thinner, and might be too thin for what we're doing.  If it's the same thickness as the orange 5 gallon, might actually be workable, but you have to keep in mind you're going to lose half an inch to an inch at the top (of your head, bottom of the bucket), and all the plastic where the brim is.

I... had no idea this was actually a thing. I'm officially impressed! (And now I might have to just go and look at the bucket from a bucket tutorials now because I'm curious). I will say that we already have a bucket in mind, we're just gonna order a Jango helmet and mod it from there.

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:49 AM »
IF you do order a helmet, be sure to check our Sales Threads for trusted vendors.

I can recommend Dha Bral (Molon Labe Studios) and Lonewolf1183 (Lonewolf Customs) from personal experience.

But building your own can have it's own benefits, like knowing that it will fit perfectly.  :like: :laugh: :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:27 PM »
(And now I might have to just go and look at the bucket from a bucket tutorials now because I'm curious).

There's a great one in the war college, and the reference photos are from my first build :)

Straka Zulu

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:36 PM »
There's a great one in the war college, and the reference photos are from my first build :)
#shamelessplug
 :laugh: :laugh:

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:07 PM »
IF you do order a helmet, be sure to check our Sales Threads for trusted vendors.

I can recommend Dha Bral (Molon Labe Studios) and Lonewolf1183 (Lonewolf Customs) from personal experience.

But building your own can have it's own benefits, like knowing that it will fit perfectly.  :like: :laugh: :like:

Ooo okay I'll be sure to check them out. Kyria ordered the officially licensed Jango helmet for herself (Yeah the semi crappy one that's gonna need a loooot of modding). But she's been pretty positive about the tutorials she's found for it. (Thankfully it looks like she's going to be the guinea pig for making armor first and modding buckets!  :laugh: )

Shameless plug or not I will definitely check it out! :D

Oh and knowing my luck even if I do build it from scratch myself... It probably will still fit wrong!

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.

Raynos Ge'tal

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:10 PM »
The jango 2 piece rubies mod is a good one to follow. You wont go wrong if you follow the war college for sure.

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:36 PM »
The jango 2 piece rubies mod is a good one to follow. You wont go wrong if you follow the war college for sure.

Awesome! Well I know where I'm going then for when I work on my bucket!

Also I have some great news! (I'll more than likely update the first post so nobody has to scroll too much) I finished coloring in my mando maker template! So I now have color schemes to choose from!

Please note, I did my best to get the colors as close as possible to their irl/behr counterparts (I really wish Behr would have some kind of hex code converter but nooooo we can't have people stealing our colors now can we?!)

I did two different versions, not sure which one I like better, and I might mix and match. Also there's going to be a base coat of steel/metal/silver obviously for weathering purposes. I'm also toying with the idea for a possible "tiger stripe camo" esque/inspired pattern. (I was mainly inspired by another sniper mando build by Elan Klachenko and his striping)

Here's version 1

Annndd version 2

The cape is that weird tan/greenish color just as a place holder for now. My plan is to make a ghillie cloak to go with all this, but if that doesn't work I can always do like an OD green type color cloak

I will say that no matter which color scheme I go for I'm keeping the flight suit and vest black and the loincloth that nice blue. (There's also going to be a mythosaur skull on at least one shoulder bell it just got covered up when I was coloring).

I do have one quick question though if anybody happens to know, for an armored loincloth, is chain mail allowed? Kyria does chain mail and we were talking about possibly doing an armor panel of it on our loin cloths (or at least hers I have to see how much noise it makes on mine, though I know I'm not actually trying to be stealthy stealthy but it helps sell the sniper thing if I don't jingle when I walk).

I think that's it for this update, questions, suggestions, jokes, you know where I'll be lol

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Concept looks solid. When it comes to weathering the dark soft parts, you will feel like you are going overboard, its just really hard to get the dirt and stuff to show in pictures.

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Concept looks solid. When it comes to weathering the dark soft parts, you will feel like you are going overboard, its just really hard to get the dirt and stuff to show in pictures.

Thanks Vod! I'll remember that when I get to weathering. I've never actually had to weather leather and soft stuff before so here's hoping I don't screw up too much.

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.

Raynos Ge'tal

« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:03 PM »
You got this. Spend some time looking at real world examples of weathered uniforms and gear. With leather, beating it up with tools (literally) hitting it with a hammer lightly sanding it. When you get that far there are plenty of good tutorials for washes/techniques to help you.

Ryi Korle

• Cin vhetin
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:00 PM »
You got this. Spend some time looking at real world examples of weathered uniforms and gear. With leather, beating it up with tools (literally) hitting it with a hammer lightly sanding it. When you get that far there are plenty of good tutorials for washes/techniques to help you.

:like: Hammers I have! And in different sizes too! (Being a blacksmith in training helps). Once I weather everything to where I want it though, I'll make sure to use my leather conditioner and sealer to keep it where it is. This stuff is worth it's weight in gold, literally. We got it at the state Farm Show last year. I've got to use it on my old gun strap I have that's going on my sniper rifle still, but we use this on literally everything. Leather, Synthetic Leather, Wood, you name it. (It even works for cracked puppy paws too cause it's beeswax based!)  I'll probably do a little video and take some pictures for when I do my gun strap to show how well it works because it's awesome. And it waterproofs it too. (Which is a must in case of bad weather)

But I do have a quick update for you guys!

I'm changing up my weapons a bit. I'm forgoing the electro batons and going for a machete/sword/blade, I realized I needed something more survival inclined for my sniper kit, especially since I want to get into Spec Ops Brigade for Sniper once I get my kit finished. I'm also going to have to do a cod plate as well :( but it's okay I'll just deal with it. Even though it's completely impractical for a sniper to have a cod plate especially if they're going to be in prone position for hours on end

ANYWAYS! So the other switching up/additions, because of Sniper Brigade things, I'm going to be making are thusly:

• Survival Kit:

(Gotta figure out all that's going in it besides the usual, I'll probably also use this to carry things I might need around con, like bandaids and painkillers, etc.)

• Possibly entrenchment tool:

I actually wanted to do this instead of the survival kit but there's not really a swarzy version of this it's a shovel with a weird edge, literally the real thing looks swarzy enough but I'm not sure if that'll pass BRLs or if it'll be accepted in cons (even with dulling and rounding everything so I might just play it safe
and do the survival kit instead)

• Comm Device:

For this I'll probably just do a handheld comm device, something small so maybe the commlink from Ep. 1 or even the one that C-3PO uses in Ep. 4, there's a whole slew of them on wookieepedia and they look mostly pretty simple to make so I'll do one of those and throw it in my belt.

Vode mhi, Vode an.
Mhi oyacyir ti kot.
Vode mhi, Vode an.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!