Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

flight suit questions

• 4 Replies
flight suit questions
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:16 PM »
So I just started planning my project, and I was wondering if having a two piece thing would work - it's a lot easier for me to aquire.
I want it to be black, maybe something like a long sleeve work out shirt (you know, the tight, elasticy kind?) and black cargo pants.
I think I'll end up making my flak vest.

Aru'e be ner aru'e ner besbe'trayc. - The enemy of my enemy is my weapon.

Ke'solus ti tracinya. - Be one with the flame

Corvyn Nuhunar

• Cin Vhetin, my dudes
Re: flight suit questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:32 PM »
I don't know what experience other Mercs have had with those shirts, but I have a tight Under Armor shirt I wore for band competitions and I might recommend against it. Unless it's extremely tight on your arms (which could be pretty uncomfortable), the material tends to be really shifty. I'm constantly having to adjust my sleeves because the hems end up twisting around my arms just throughout the course of a normal day. That means the spacing on your armor could get donked up pretty fast, which would be my main concern. A sturdier material that holds its shape better and shifts less might be better.

OMs who have worn these types of shirts, please feel free to correct me or add your own information.  :like:

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Flightsuits can have a few variations.
For a single sleeved flightsuit, the top and bottom halves must match in colour, material and fit. Whether they are connected or separate at the waist is not a concern as long as any join is covered by the waist items.
For a double sleeved flightsuit (see Boba Fett for the quickest reference) the trousers and the outer sleeve (the one that's bicep length) must match in colour, material and fit. The inner sleeve (the wrist length one) may then be a separate colour, material or fit.

So cargo style trousers and a tight sleeved top would need outer sleeves adding over the tight inner ones. However it is a perfectly acceptable look and quite widely used. A lot of people just buy 2 pairs of trousers and cut the second up for the extra outer sleeves so it is a perfect match and use the rest to make pouches or elastic covers or spats.

If you find sleeves won't stay put, adding a bit that goes over the hand and loops round the thumb can work, as can adding elastic at the wrist hem as neither of these will be seen once the glove and gauntlet are on.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:07 AM »
Flightsuits can have a few variations.
For a single sleeved flightsuit, the top and bottom halves must match in colour, material and fit. Whether they are connected or separate at the waist is not a concern as long as any join is covered by the waist items.
For a double sleeved flightsuit (see Boba Fett for the quickest reference) the trousers and the outer sleeve (the one that's bicep length) must match in colour, material and fit. The inner sleeve (the wrist length one) may then be a separate colour, material or fit.

So cargo style trousers and a tight sleeved top would need outer sleeves adding over the tight inner ones. However it is a perfectly acceptable look and quite widely used. A lot of people just buy 2 pairs of trousers and cut the second up for the extra outer sleeves so it is a perfect match and use the rest to make pouches or elastic covers or spats.

If you find sleeves won't stay put, adding a bit that goes over the hand and loops round the thumb can work, as can adding elastic at the wrist hem as neither of these will be seen once the glove and gauntlet are on.

I might do that - cargo pants and a heavier shirt over the skin-tight long sleeve one.  How would you suggest covering the intersection?  I will have a kama, but that leaves the front open...

Aru'e be ner aru'e ner besbe'trayc. - The enemy of my enemy is my weapon.

Ke'solus ti tracinya. - Be one with the flame

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:36 AM »
I might do that - cargo pants and a heavier shirt over the skin-tight long sleeve one.  How would you suggest covering the intersection?  I will have a kama, but that leaves the front open...

Two waist items are required, have one be a fabric sash or a girth belt that's backed with fabric (so you can't see between the ropes) and that will not only cover everything in the centre but also keep it looking tidy. My girthbelt covers the connection point of my flightsuit, my kama belt, my cod belt and the rough top edge of my cod plate and the hook ups for my thigh plate strapping.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!