Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Asenath Wren's 2nd kit WIP

• 28 Replies

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions
Asenath Wren's 2nd kit WIP
« on: Jan 18, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Su'cuy vode!

I'm just starting my second kit after becoming official in October of last year (first kit WIP here:  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=157035.0) and I thought I'd make a thread here because I want this second kit to be more impressive than my first, so I'd love lots of feedback!

Starting from the beginning, here's a basic concept I sketched out just now.  I didn't color it, but the flight suit is black; boots, gloves and probably knee and elbow patches will be dark, oiled brown; and for the armor I'm going to try experimenting with patina paint.  The base will be bronze, with blue-ish patina, and the trauma plating will have chartreuse and/or burgundy accents (maybe, who knows if I'll change my mind on that):

I went from creating all-new custom templates:

To cutting and shaping the plates.  The shaping isn't finished, I still need to adjust the fang on the right chest plate and shave down the top curve of the left chest plate, as well as trim the outer edges of the collar pieces.  Then I need to bondo the dart seams.  I also still need to cut and shape my shoulder and knee plates, and design and build my gauntlets:

I also started modifying another jango 2-piece helmet.  I changed the shape of the visor, added the diamond detail to the brow, added a double bridge across the lower part of the visor, and am changing the shape of the visor ridge in the back.
I will also be designing (or commissioning) custom keyslots for this one.  Once I get the inside dremeled out I can glue it together and fiberglass the inside, then I'll design and attach the earcaps (I'm thinking circular for this one), then I can bondo it:

I've also got a basic template made for my backplate.  I need to make my flak vest before I finalize the size and shape though, to make sure it will look okay together:

The only soft parts I have right now is my basic flight suit, which will be modified slightly.  It needs a dickie with a neck seal attached to cover my chest, chest pockets removed, hip pockets sewn shut, and I also want to add some quilted (leather?) knee and elbow reinforcements, as on motorcycle gear, to which my knee plates will be directly attached.  It also has nice big pockets on the sides of the thighs, which shouldn't interfere with any drop-leg holsters I might like to incorporate:

Next big project will be to make my flak vest, which will be very similar in design to my first one, and made out of leather that I can hopefully stain to match the boots I want to get.  I also need to acquire a tight-fitting pair of gloves and fingerless gloves to layer over them, and eventually make a sash and weapon belt.  I'm playing around with the idea of incorporating a cowl/hood combo to this kit as well, but that will be a final addition to the kit if it happens at all.  I know it can be difficult to get those approved so it would have to be darn near perfect.

I don't have my plans for weapons set in stone, I'm just looking at commissioning a new blaster (possibly Krennic's DT-29?  Or maybe something completely custom!), and I will of course have plenty of bladed weapons as well.

And finally, with thoughts WAY in the future about possible brigade affiliations, I definitely get a mechanic feel from my concept of this kit, though I could see it going toward privateer as well.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome - please help me make this kit amazing!

Re: Asenath Wren's 2nd kit WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:02 PM »
B.E.A.utiful design, love the work so far commenting to follow along.   :<3: :<3:

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:54 PM »
This is some really amazing stuff. Can't wait to see more!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:00 PM »
With how your first kit turned out, this will be impressive!
Keep it up, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

I have a little more progress to show.  I got all my plates except for the knees and gauntlets formed and sanded (need more sintra and the home depot I went to was out).  Here are all the plates from the front:

And here is the backplate on my duct tape mannequin, and a terrible quality picture of it on my back.  I plan on connecting the layers with nylon straps so it has mobility.  It looks like 2/3 of my back to me, hopefully my ruus'alors agree!

And here are the layered shoulder bells from the front and the side; they will also be connected via nylon straps:

And this is all the progress I've made on my flak vest - I'm thinking about drafting a new pattern for this one, I think just two princess seams on a solid front will work better with the shape of this set of plates:

Next steps - make knees and gauntlets, alter flightsuit (add reinforcements at knees and elbows), make flak vest, make neck seal

1/31/19 ETA:

So I was wondering why my backplate ended up looking so much different from (and not as good as) my template.  Then last night while I was looking for my knee templates I found the actual CORRECT backplate template that I meant to use in the first place.  That's right, I cut out the wrong plates!  I had enough sintra left to re-cut the upper plate though, and I used first backplate for the lower lames.  I threw a sash and belt on for this picture so you can see where my waist items will sit too.  The size is much better now, and is how I originally intended it to be:

The shaping isn't completely done (it doesn't quite hug my back the way I want it to yet) and it's not all sanded, but I feel better about it already.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2019, 08:03 PM by Asenath Wren » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 03:11 PM »
coming along nicely vod, and improvise, adapt, and overcome...that should be the new mando motto. 

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I woke up this morning and decided to overhaul the look of the armor for this kit.  I removed the fangs on the chest plates and made new ab armor.  I still need to trim and shape the lower corner of the left chest plate, and trim the outer edges of the collar, but I'm really liking it so far.  I  think I prefer the layered look of this:

But I could also do it segmented.  I don't think I like it as much, but I'd like to hear others' opinions (for reference, the lower edge of the duct tape mannequin is exactly where my bellybutton is):

I also added another lame to my layered backplate and finished shaping it.  I like it better with only 3 lames, but I figured I'd have another one ready to go in case the app team doesn't think it covers enough of my back:

I'm also mostly done with my flak vest, I think I'll be finishing it up this week!  I need to get on designing some gauntlets though, I really have no idea of what I want to do with them.  Time to look for inspiration!

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:34 PM »
The layered look would be better.  Would also be more consistent across the kit, with the back being layered, too.

Gotta say, this'll be badshebs once it's done!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:56 PM »
Thanks Straka!  :D

Yesterday I decided to make a completely new flak vest, and I also picked up some fabric I fell in love with to try a sash.  I'm not sure about the style of the sash, I think it's too bulky so I'll probably remake it later.  I really love the new pattern for the vest though, it fits me really well.  I still have to add velcro to the left shoulder and take up the right shoulder a little bit.

With sash:

Side closure:

Back:

Close up of fabric:

I hate that the fabric looks like denim from a distance, so I may actually make ANOTHER new vest in the future, because I'm ridiculous that way.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2019, 07:09 PM »
 :<3: :<3: :<3: looking good still

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:25 PM »
looking good still

Thank you!

So last night I found out Forged in Fire is on Amazon prime and I got all inspired to make a new knife.  I still need to do one more round of spot putty and a bit more sanding, and to fix the slight bump in the spine, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.  It's one layer of .25" sintra for the blade and tang, and each handle scale is another layer of .25" sintra that I sculpted down into a smooth handle with a dull utility knife (!).

Here's the template and initial sintra blanks:

And here it is as it stands now (after several rounds of re-shaping):

And here it is in-hand for scale:

Now to make a sheath for this thing!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:45 PM »
it will cut......looks good, and love that show.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Loving the design. Can't wait to see more.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Very nice work Vod! you can definitly see your skill level come out in your work!!! Keep it up!!!

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2019, 10:57 PM »
Oops, I kind of forgot that I had a thread going here!  I've been really busy and have only made minor progress, but I'm plugging away at this kit.  I'm fairly happy with how the plates themselves turned out, and I tried a really amazing patina paint for the base metal that I'm loving. 

Here's the armor with the copper paint and patina applied (plates are .25" sintra, trauma plates are 3mm sintra, and filigree details are 1mm sintra):

I decided against the black flight suit, but I haven't made a new one yet, as I haven't decided what color it should be yet.

Here is the armor as it stands today, and I hate the paint job.  I think the burgundy is okay, but I don't like the green stripes, I think it's too bright and garish (and not in a good way!) So I'll have to repaint, sadly:

Here is a closeup of the patina and the terribly crooked paint job on one of the shoulder bells:

And here is a new knife and sheath I've been playing around with (.25" sintra for the blade and handle scales, 1mm sintra on top of the blade to create the fuller, and 1mm sintra on the handle and sheath for the ridges):

I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now with this kit but once I repaint I think I'll feel better. 

Straka Zulu

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:18 AM »
I love the look of this!

Tal Choruk

• I'll appear from the shadows...as an OM....
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Since you are looking to repaint, why not just strip the burgundy and green and stick with the metal/patina combo? those show loads of contrast and work really well with the blue flak and black flight suit pieces. I think this would help 'kill 2 birds with 1 stone' so to speak and would look amazing. Worst case scenario, increase the patina between the trauma plates, filigree etc, to really outline them, and you'd be good to go.

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the paint colors, everyone!  I decided to stick with the green stripe (though I did repaint it a brighter, more obnoxious chartreuse and I like it a little better now).  I've only got a little progress to show, since I'm plugging along so slowly on this one.

Here's my new bucket after hitting it with bondo and filler primer.  I needed to see what areas need more spot putty, and the answer is it needs more EVERYWHERE.  I haven't designed the earcaps yet, but I'll be playing around with that this week to see what works best with the overall design:

And here's the back - I want to commission Arkham to print me some custom keyslots because I hate the janky, crooked ones on the Jango 2 pieces:

And here is the armor fully painted and weathered (minus the bucket and diamond):

Now I need to mount the plates to the vest and leather gauntlets, acquire appropriate boots (and mount the shins and knees to them), finish my blaster and knives, make holsters and a weapons belt, and make a flight suit and neck seal.  It's getting close to wearable!

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Jul 05, 2019, 12:03 AM »
Awesome work!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2019, 11:48 PM »
I finally have what feels like substantial progress to show!

I "finished" construction on the bucket (minus the visor, I'm waiting on tint to arrive), but I'm still not happy with the color scheme.  It will stay like this for a while though, until I come up with something better.  The keyslots will be replaced with a 3d printed set at some point, but I'll probably just paint over the existing ones with silver color wax if I need to wear it before I get them.  The earcaps are varying thicknesses of sintra, and some random greeblies I had in my toolbox:

I made and weathered a flight suit on Saturday, and mounted all my plates yesterday and today.  I still need to finish the sash, and weather my boots, and I don't really like the burgundy gloves so I'll probably replace them at some point.  Here's everything all together so far (minus the bucket):

And here is the bucket next to the torso armor to see how it looks together (featuring my trademark "trying to look like a Normal Human" selfie face):

And finally, here is a shot of the gauntlet design.  I honestly am not sure I'll be able to get these approved, but it was worth a shot:

Still left to do:  assemble and paint blaster, make holster, acquire gun belt and pouch belt, paint knife and sheath and mount sheath to gun belt, acquire new gloves, finish sash, weather boots, make and install visor

Getting closer!

ETA:

Well I repainted my armor today.  Now instead of iron man, I look like a ski jacket from the 70s, and I'm not mad about it!

I still need to finish the paint on the gauntlets and helmet, and I totally forgot about the cod, but so far I think I like this a lot better.  Here's a shot from the front (minus gaunts and gloves):

And here's a shot from the back to show where my backplate will sit in relation to the sash (I'll probably have to rework the neck seal closure, it looks sloppy):

And here's a shot right after painting the chest plates to show the color better:

Tomorrow I'll be finishing painting the gauntlets, cod plate, and helmet, and hopefully I'll be getting the film in to make my visor.   I was thinking chameleon blue over silver mirror, but now that I'm adding blue into the armor I may have to order another color to go on top of the mirror.  I'll have to see how it looks when it arrives and then decide! 

After that, I'll just need to (finally) work on my new blaster and get the weapons belt sorted, weather the new teal paint, paint my knife and sheath, get some new gloves, finish the sash, and weather my boots.  Then I'll need to start thinking about trophies because I'll feel boring without any (don't worry, Az, I'm not coming for your Trophy King title!)

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2019, 11:33 PM by Asenath Wren » Logged

Kol Varek

« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Beautiful work! You've done a great job with this kit and the details are phenomenal! I recommend moving the shins down closer to your ankles so that they don't crowd your knees.

Glad to see progress rolling along!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2019, 01:12 AM »
Commenting for updates! I know you're about done, but killer job on this kit too!!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2019, 11:22 PM »
Beautiful work! You've done a great job with this kit and the details are phenomenal! I recommend moving the shins down closer to your ankles so that they don't crowd your knees.

Glad to see progress rolling along!

Thank you!  I was wondering if it looked too crowded.  I did end up adding wraps around the foot and ankle, and I think it looks more balanced now, but I'll check with my ruus'alors and see what they think as well.  Thank you for the suggestion!

Commenting for updates! I know you're about done, but killer job on this kit too!!

Thanks Kurshi!  I was definitely inspired by your bucket build when I was designing the visor bridge on this one <3

So this kit is nearing completion, I'm now just waiting on new gloves and a belt pouch to arrive, and I have to finish painting my blaster and building my holster, and I'll be done(ish)!

Since these pictures, I've darkened the leather of the gauntlets so they're almost black now (similar to the color of the belt), and I like them better now.

Here is today's test fit from the front:

And from the back:

And finally, here are the new keyslots I commissioned from Arkham - I'm in love with them!

I just finished the paint job on the dagger and sheath (no pictures yet), and hopefully will have the blaster done by the weekend, so I'm hoping to do a test run in this kit at a con Saturday, if my ruus'alors approve!

ETA 7/19:

I just applied with this kit - here are the photos!

Front:

Left side:

Right side:

Back:

Bucket off:

Weapons:

Thanks for all your help, here's hoping I don't get any fixes!

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2019, 03:39 PM by Asenath Wren » Logged

Asenath Wren

• Helmet on, heart gone
« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to update that I got this kit approved a few days ago!

My approval came theough the morning of Maker Faire Detroit, so I had Arkham take some pictures for me.  There are a few upgrades already - I got a new cartridge belt, and a new pouch that I made an armor plate for (complete with Tra'cor clan insignia trauma plating), and i also made some new throwing daggers and a leg apron for them.

It was worth getting stuck in the Jeffries tube for this (turns out Asenath can't move in reverse very well):

I am now part of the Collective:

Check out this droid disguised as a trash can:

Now, on to more upgrades!

Kol Varek

« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Congratulations on a job well done! You did some awesome work on this kit!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!