Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Buid WIP

• 24 Replies
Re: First Buid WIP
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:28 PM »
Major update.
20190217_194954 by T Fin, on Flickr

Current issues:                                                            Fixes:
Too much slack in the shoulder area.                     Sew darts in to close up slack.
Crotch plate wont stay put.                                       Add mando thong to keep in place.
Gauntlets falling in to hands                                     Add internal padding to hold in place
Girth belt missing                                                        Currently in progress.
Ammo belt for over girth belt                                   Forgot at work shop
Quad armor placement.                                            Fixed with help from clan and making straps to attach to crotch plate belts
Knee armor falling                                                      Add velcro backer to plate to keep in correct location.
Shin armor wonky.                                                     Resewed the strapping so it fits better and looks better
Missing boots                                                              Forgot them at work shop.
Puma socks                                                                 Nothing, they give me the spirit of a warrior.  ;D
Flight suit way too clean                                           Much wear and weathering needed.
Missing shoulder bells                                              Forgot them at work shop and waiting shoulder fix.
Back plate missing.                                                    Still in the waiting to get done......

Son of pickle bucket also thinks my backdrop should be cooler.

Are there any issues that I missed or am addressing wrong?

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Are you doing velcro only chest plate attachment right now? Your plate spacing is basically symmetrically even, but doesn't have a consistent gap. I hate to say that after all the work you've done. With velcro only we could help you get a consistent spacing at an armor party some time, then sew snaps on to locate the plates properly every time. It may take just a little trimming to tick all the boxes but that's easily weathered over.

The girth belt should help with your cod plate, though MandoMan used elastic waste band/thong that worked well. My cod's attached to the girth and I use a thong to keep it in place. Several good options.

Looks like you have valid fixes for everything. Would you like a picture of what I did to my vest shoulders to tighten them up or was it obvious when you pulled up the slack?

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!

MMCC # 1013
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Good to see you're continuing to make progress! From what I'm seeing from the picture, it looks like your thigh plates will need to be trimmed down as well, they do seem a bit large. The spacing between the knees and shins will also need to be fixed since the knees seem to be going under the shins. As for the cod, I'd recommend a bit of shaping to form it a bit more. I'm sure you'll find a pair of shoes soon to protect those puma socks  ;) can't wait to see how the rest of it goes!

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2019, 11:40 AM »
Great progress, really looking good. I'm very glad you are utilizing the resources on your clan to help ya with the build. It is always good to get eyes on your kit in person in addition to the forums. I've got nothing to add beyond what others have said so I'll just say, keep up the good work vod!

« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Shammah: as of now the plates are just velcro'd on.  But I am willing to change that if it gets it more even.  Hopefully we can get together in March and get it all buttoned up.  Post up a pic of your shoulder. Any photo help is very good for me.  Also as you can see one shoulder has a flap and the other does not.  The flap that is there is not correctly positioned to work right so I am not sure if it is going to stay and be fixed or be removed completely.  On one attempt I had my bells attached to the edge of the shoulder and they just stuck out like wings no matter what I did.

Kol Var'Das: Hopefully I will have some time tonight to fix the spacing issues with all of the leg armor.  I will post up pics of the fixes to see if any more cutting will be needed.  I will also do some forming work on my cod piece.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Sorry for not getting back sooner, stupid busy. I'll try and get some pix by this weekend. I know I have some somewhere.

MMCC # 1013
M.A. #175
« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Sorry for the long break and no updates.  Since my last update lots has been done.  I "finished" round one of my kit and am able to wear it fully assembled and we took some pre-app pics at our last AP.

Based on a quick once over we are already aware of some issues:
The back plate is too long and needs to be trimmed so it sits right. (in progress)
Remove side pocket from flight suit (done) (and really how did I forget that  :-[ )
Sew shut leg pockets on flight suit (done) (again rookie mistake  :rolleyes: )
Leg armor has elastic straps, need converted to nylon or leather
Shoulder Bells not secure, needs snaps to hold better (in progress)
Girth belt falls a little, working on an internal suspenders rig

I know there will be other items found by the app team and I welcome their input.  So here are the pics that we submitted to the app team. Huge thanks to everyone in Iowa clan for all of their help.

received_2355148334743750 by tfin-online, on Flickr
received_637184920082720 by tfin-online, on Flickr
received_2240009886118908 by tfin-online, on Flickr
received_687698408310171 by tfin-online, on Flickr

And the current weapons
received_2252370001495388 by tfin-online, on Flickr
received_448384892624265 by tfin-online, on Flickr

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #22 on: Jun 19, 2019, 10:52 PM »
I think those are the main things. Looking at the side views I'm wondering about trimming the shoulder tabs of the back plate. When we put it on you it seemed like they were pretty close to the collar, and in the side pictures it looks like the collar is pushing the back plate off your shoulders. I also noticed the left shoulder tab doesn't line up well with the collar; closer to the side of your neck than the collar tab. This may be a good opportunity to correct that a bit - trimming some material of the tabs would give you more distance from your neck.

Look forward to seeing updated pictures. ;)

MMCC # 1013
M.A. #175
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2019, 04:29 PM »
Time for a very long overdue update. These are the action items that I have completed from my last TPS report.

The elastic straps in all of the leg armor has been replaced by leather straps that match my vest.
Side pocket removed from flight suit.
Leg pockets sewn shut.
Cut about 2 inches off of the base of the back plate, with help of Shammah and Ruug’la Tal reformed the shoulder tabs of the plate.  Also reformed the collar plate. Now it lines up and actually looks right.
Attached proper snaps for back plate.
Attached snaps to secure shoulder bells in place.
Shortened up the straps from cod to thigh plates.
Adjusted the curve on knee armor.
Weathered the living heck out of my flight suit.
Added more weathering to my vest.

As I stated in the beginning I am bad about documenting my work. So with that said here are the pics from my preapp. 

received_388718905161018 by T Fin, on Flickr
received_405846530118666 by T Fin, on Flickr
received_234542054119514 by T Fin, on Flickr
received_666099063911380 by T Fin, on Flickr
received_380340962891427 by T Fin, on Flickr

And last but not least A huge thank you again to all the great members of Vhett Manda. They have been amazingly helpful and it makes improving my kit to be ready for OM so much easier. 

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Huge improvement. Your flight suit just isn't showing all the great weathering you've done to it. Could you maybe use some lighter colors for dust? The dark weathering just isn't popping and maybe lighter ones would. Also, I see what you mean about the cod maybe needing suspenders or something. Didn't realize how much it had slid down during the photo shoot. Think Joe gave you some other stuff at the shoot the other day. Really looking good though.  ;)

MMCC # 1013
M.A. #175

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!