Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Another Anansi Nerf Blaster Mod - Image heavy

• 8 Replies

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Another Anansi Nerf Blaster Mod - Image heavy
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:52 AM »
Su'cuy! I'm back with another weapons build and this is gonna be a lit more ambitious than the last. Last time, I took a Nerf Longstrike and transformed it into a heavy carbine.  You can find that build here or via the link in my signature. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=123422.0

Now, as part of my prep for joining the Brigades, I'm going to make a blaster that will fit a bit more comfortably on my back with a little more western flair. So, where do I start? With this, a Recon.

It was part of one of my first forays into Nerf modding but now it's time to take it further. To do that, we're going to add the stock from a Slingfire.

Well, let's get to it. First thing I did was grind out the muzzle tabs inside so that a PVC pipe would fit. Then I cut away the grip and the mag well.

After that, I figured out the best place to fit the stock and played around with a few metal pieces to see how they looked. I'll probably keep the rod but figure out a different attachment method.

Inspiration struck my Ver'alor when the glue holding the body and the stock failed and the barrel pitched forward. "Why not make it a break barrel?" Why not indeed.
I figured out a hinge pin and it took a bit to figure out a locking method.

Eventually, I landed on a U-shaped bracket made of 6mm sintra and it holds pretty darned well.

There's a lot more to figure out but that's all for now.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
Re: Another Anansi Nerf Blaster Mod - Image heavy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Good start! Nerf mods are always an increasingly difficult choice to make blasters out of, but you're doing great  so far. Can't wait to see the finished product!

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:02 AM »
Ho'kay! It's been a bit since I've updated but there's been a lot going on. Since I last worked on this blaster, winter hit like an angry wampa, and then the Marev family found a new homestead. Now that that's all settled and the workshop is pretty much in working order, it was time to get back to work.

Where to start...well, the previous hinge set up was pretty flimsy, relying on the body of the blaster to handle the stress of opening and closing when needed. That eventually failed so I went through several alternatives until I fell back on my old friend apoxie sculpt and a few spare parts from a broken cappuccino maker. with those set into the stock and using a Chicago screw, I now have a much sturdier hinge.

Next, I needed to get rid of the two telltale indicators that that stock belonged to a Slingfire: the faux wrap and the notch. Of course, Nerf in their infinite wisdom glued that "wrap" in place but a dremel and a screwdriver made short, messy work of that. Again, because I don't like the fumes off of bondo, I relied on apoxie sculpt. 24 hours and that stock feels a lot stronger. The other great thing is that even with 80 grit, the surface is fairly smooth. I hit the whole thing with primer to spot the areas that need work. There are a lot of them.

After cutting away a significant portion of the body, remember that I was left with a large dead area at the bottom of the main body. To fix this, I cut a piece of 6mm sintra to size, glued and clamped it into place. Then I measured that and cut a section of a large shop vac extension to fit.  To make it more snug, I added to rails of 6mm and slid the new handguard in place and glued it in place with e6000.

The last thing I did was set a retaining screw to hold the barrel in place. Now if I need to transport the blaster, I can break it down into three pieces for easier transport. (It's not stripped, it's dirty)

So, there's a lot more sanding to do and a lot more pieces to add but it's starting to field a lot more cohesive. Stay tuned!

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 06:33 PM »
More updates:

I've been filling in some more imperfections and sculpting more of the body. One thing I'm enjoying about this build is how there's a lot more moving parts to this blaster and how it can be broken down for transport. Like so:

Since this is part of my gunslinger build, it makes the repair kit way more practical. Also because it's for my Gunslinger, I need to have reloads.

Ta-da!

I also added a thumb catch to the body latch and a reinforced barrel pin instead of the small screw. There's still a few areas to deal with but everything is coming along quite nicely!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2019, 01:12 AM »
All right. This is the last update. I swear.

A lot of the final work was clean up and refinement of certain features, adding accent lines here and there, a LOT more sanding and multiple priming runs. Like so:

Then it was time to get cracking on the actual painting. After going back and forth in my head, I decided the stock should be wood. To pull it off, I started with a black base and then drybrushed and smeared using multiple shades of brown, over and over and over again.

From there, I just went for it. The red bit is the blade of one of the cheap Darth Vader sabers, cut to fit.

After that, it was just a matter of weathering and I think this build is finally complete!

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Impressive.  Most impressive.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2020, 07:11 PM »
UPDATE:

It's been quite some time, but I wanted to share a few revisions to this rifle!
For a while now, I'd been concerned about the long term durability of the body catch, even being made from 6mm sintra. Even thick plastic is bound to break after repeated use. So I swapped in a section of aluminum bar stock. I also added in a few metal spacers so the gap between the catch and the rifle didn't look so...unfinished.

As you can see, I also brought the stock back plate up to fully cover the power cell chamber. That was done with a fitted piece of sintra and more apoxie sculpt.

Lastly, the barrel was another area that needed a big fix. Previously, the barrel pin sat loose, which meant that it was easy to lose (I almost did a few times). So to make it a little more foolproof, the pin is now fastened in place and I cut a L-shaped locking notch on the end of the barrel itself. It has the benefit of less parts to lose, a "cooler" looking detachment annnnnd

The option to swap barrels! Look at that stubby little monster! Definitely need to paint it but that's the least of my worries at the moment.

So that's all for the updates. Heaven help me if I decide to make more changes.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Most interesting! Love seeing a good nerf mod - However, with what you ended up doing do it, it probably would have been easier to scratch build the whole thing lol  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Looks good though!  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2020, 02:58 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. I enjoy the challenge and the availability of bases to choose from. It really encourages me to look at things in a new way.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!