Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Katís Executioner WIP

• 24 Replies

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Katís Executioner WIP
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2020, 01:45 PM »
I love the vest!

Awesome job! Keep on going Kat!

Any douth you might have, feel free to shot!

Have a nice weekend, regards,
AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2020, 06:34 PM »
I quite honestly have no idea what these things are called. But we picked up several of two different sizes (along with some small metal caps to test out with the smaller size) to turn into explosives.

Unfortunately only one of the local places has them and they tend to carry only a couple at any given time, so weíve been collecting hem whenever we find them and now have five of both sizes.  We need to sand down/remove the central ridges, figure out how to seal up the ends, and install something that resembles a button (hence trying out the metal caps) and then paint them.  Weíve got enough leather scraps around here that Iíll probably use some of them for the grip as well.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2020, 03:07 PM »
So I just realized that I now have two pages of posts and replies!  Hadnít really looked too closely and didnít realize until I pulled it up and didnít see my last post.

Thank you everyone for the comments and kind words.

Progress is somewhat slow right now - we are currently in Ďwhen will the snow endí winter so all of the projects that need a well ventilated area (like painting, sanding, dremmeling, bondo/xtc3d, etc) are all on hold until this round of snow melts and we can get outside.   But small steps have been accomplished using other means.

I still donít know what these are actually called, but I used an exacto blade and shaved down the middle ridges that had to go away. Yes, it would have been faster with a dremmel or sander, but again, no outside or masks for particles, so exacto it is.

I got the first five smallest done, and still have the five bigger ones left.  Iím debating adding the middle grips now or waiting until after weíve figured out how to seal up the ends and add the end button. I might add some more snaps to things tomorrow and might stain some of the leather pieces, since that doesnít have fumes.  Have to see how adventurous Iím feeling.

« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Iím not sure if itíll work, or if they even still make them, but they used to make little plastic discs for baby bottles. They would sit under (or in place of) the nipple and prevent leaking while traveling. It wonít fill the hole in the cap, but once you have a base, you can use whatever filler/putty you prefer.

« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2020, 02:14 PM »
Cold and rainy weather today, so mopping outdoor work. But I was able to put the first layer of dye onto the holsters.

I picked up the dye last year at a stop at Tandy and used it to dye my bag belt as well.

I used a 1inch/25mm paintbrush to put it on. Usually I wouldnít use something like that to apply dye, but I wanted to use something that would assist with the later weathering by having it go on unevenly to give it some texture.

I think it worked fairly well, since it looks a lot tougher than I would normally want. I also purposefully didnít use the prettiest portions of the hide when I cut out my pieces so that they would have more texture to them to start with.  It was actually kind of nice working on something that I wanted to look worn rather than the pristine stuff Iíve done in the past.

Iím leaving them to dry overnight to see how much the color fades.  I figure one more layer should give it a nice dark red/brown color for the base.

And, no, Iím not going to be doing any weathering on these other than the slightly uneven dye. I plan to drag my dress form outside once I get things close to done and cover it with plastic before putting my whole kit on it and then weathering everything at once.  That way I get a nice even weathering over the whole thing rather than weathering everything separately and then having to go back and make the weathering match on all of the individual pieces. 

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2020, 02:34 PM »
I am truly impressed with how this is coming along. Keep up the good work.
I know you are in the early stages of your build, but keep an eye on your plate spacing. if you are attaching the plates with Chicago Screws which I have done make sure your spacing is correct. the torso plates can be up to 1 inch with your frame I would say roughly 3/4 inches. The spacing around the diamond should not exceed 1/2 inch.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Looking good.  I really like the mando flute / melee spike.   Are you going to put it in a holster?  Or hang it with a ring&clip?

« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2020, 05:37 PM »

Finally got a chance to work on things again. The weather was nice enough out this weekend (and I didnít have to work) so I was able to try out the XTC3D on my throwing knives.

It looks gorgeous. They filled in nicely and Iím waiting for them to finish curing before I sand them for painting. Really wish the weather would have been nicer when we were assembling my gauntlets and guns, because I would have loved to get them with this too instead of having to bondo them now. 

Hopefully next weekend will have weather so I can start sanding the armor bits and get 5hme primed, but right now it looks like it might rain again. 

And in reply to the question about my flute - right now I am planning on hanging it from my belt. Iíve got some loops for my holster belt that I can hang several items from and was planning on that being one of them.

« Reply #23 on: Jun 27, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Progress!

Sanded and primed the throwing knives

Primer and bondo on gauntlets and big knife

And now itís getting to the point of too humid to work, so weíre letting it set

« Reply #24 on: Jun 27, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration!   :like:
I'm guessing you're also in the Midwest because I am having the same weather patterns that you are!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!