Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kat’s Executioner WIP - APPROVED

• 71 Replies

BioKat

Re: Kat’s Executioner WIP
« Reply #25 on: Jul 04, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Got some more work done this morning before it got too hot and humid.

First off - dug out the paints we picked up last year when I got my pieces in

Sanded and primed the helmet

And worked on assembling the new 3D printed guns. Not sure who the other half got these from, otherwise I’d put that info up

Everything is drying/curing now.  Have to see how the weather is tomorrow to see if we can work on more things tomorrow or if we have to wait.

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2020, 10:07 PM »
Looking good!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

BioKat

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Sanded, primed, and got the silver on my body pieces

XTC3D on the chest diamond

And another layer of primer and silver on the helmet

Now to let it all dry really well.

Tiric Keel

• Family is more than blood!
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #28 on: Jul 22, 2020, 12:21 PM »
Great progress! 

Karta Beskar 2019
OM Troops: 100+  Educational Troops: 23
MMCC # 1081
159   Tiric Keel, 10/17/15, Vanguard, 267th Rapid Assault   Demolitions
DZ-80396 “Ace”

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #29 on: Jul 24, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Keep going you got this!

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

BioKat

« Reply #30 on: Aug 02, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Weather was perfect this weekend to work on things.

Gauntlets and chest diamond primed and silver

Had one hiccup with the white paint - it tried to spray out beneath the nozzle rather than through it. So we had to head back to the store where they replaced it for us.

But after that the sanding and adding white to the helmet and body went great

Primed the ear caps for the helmet as well. Here’s one of all the armor bits that got painted yesterday together

Then we pulled out the knives and worked on them some more
Got the silver onto the blades for all 18 throwing knives

And got the large knife primed and into silver as well:

Now we are leaving all of that to sit for at least a week. Hopefully next weekend I can start with the masking. That will probably end up being a combination of painting tape and masking fluid, which will take a bit to get positioned just right and make sure the edges are clean.

BioKat

« Reply #31 on: Aug 15, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Masking and grey paint on the helmet today

Have to wait on the body pieces - just the helmet took half the can so we went to get more and they are currently out of cans for custom paints so we have to wait till next weekend for those.

BioKat

« Reply #32 on: Aug 28, 2020, 07:45 PM »
With the updates to helmet requirements, my helmet is no longer approvable.

All armor work is on hold until I can get a new helmet in, since I will need to adjust my paint design to work with the new helmet.  The color scheme will remain the same,  it the design might be a bit different to fit with the new helmet.

Weapon work will be continuing even without the helmet, since those are separate from that.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #33 on: Aug 28, 2020, 09:50 PM »
Wait, what? What changed? I thought the Executioner helm was specifically listed as an approved design.

« Reply #34 on: Aug 28, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Wait, what? What changed? I thought the Executioner helm was specifically listed as an approved design.
the vertical portion of the T visor needs to be 2/3rds the length of the front of the helmet. The announcement can be found Here

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
« Reply #35 on: Aug 28, 2020, 11:08 PM »
I totally missed that until you mentioned it. I understand why they did it; the executioner helm doesn’t really look particularly “Mandalorian.” Still, it sucks for everyone who already spent the money on one.

« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Following
Love the leather work and that fife! Curious to see where the fife will go on your kit.

BioKat

« Reply #37 on: Nov 07, 2020, 05:44 PM »
New helmet has arrived.

Ended up picking the Wolvek from Kal Props here on the mando boards. Really liking all of the shapes and details. And it means minimal changes to my paint plan - just need to make things more pointed rather than rounded.

Unfortunately it is now late-fall/early-winter in the Midwest, and I can’t be inside with paint fumes, so things are paused until we can finish insulating the detached garage to be able to heat that and do things with fumes out there.

Will try to do some more work on weapons in the meantime.

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:41 PM »
Having seen your kit in person a couple of weeks ago when I was in South Dakota, I'm excited to see it get finished.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #39 on: Feb 28, 2021, 02:56 PM »
That's looking awesome!  :porg2: love the new helmet!!! :sabine: :jango:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

BioKat

« Reply #40 on: Apr 25, 2021, 05:51 PM »
Update! 
It’s finally warm enough to be able to do things like paint outdoors, so the past couple weekends we’ve been working on getting the armor painted. Here’s a few pictures as things progressed.

Everything went from silver to white.

Then did some taping
Somehow managed to not get any pictures after the grey layer.
So then did the black

Used draping tape for the thin pinstripes, normal painters tape for the larger lines, and liquid mask for the vines.

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #41 on: Apr 27, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Great paintjob!!  :jango: :boba:

Cattriss Wren

• "Vurel verburyc, draar solus"
« Reply #42 on: Apr 27, 2021, 12:15 PM »
Wow :o that is truly a work of art!! Great job :like:

my armor. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=203296.0

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises"

"Everyone has a struggle in life. The key is turning that struggle into your weapon."

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Certified crazy cat mando
« Reply #43 on: Apr 27, 2021, 09:54 PM »
What a cool paintjob, with the bold white and the subtle gray! I'm especially liking the thin lines on the shoulders. :like:

| Hard Goods WIP | Soft Goods WIP | Planning Log |

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2021, 08:29 AM »
That paint job is beautiful! Great job!

BioKat

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2021, 03:18 PM »
Update!
It was nice weather out, so I could work outside on things.
Today’s project was getting all of the varying shades of brown leather to be closer to he same while also making sure it was applied in such a way that any unevenness can be incorporated in to weathering.
So I hauled the dress form outside

Covered it with a plastic bag to protect it

Then put my vest on it

This way I could make sure that I was getting all of the side and edge bits that might be visible evenly and not worrying about places that weren’t seen.  Plus, this way I wouldn’t have weird ‘lines’ where the edges were if I laid it flat on the ground.
Then I pulled out my airbrush and the leather dyes

I used the chocolate color to apply a nice coat on all of the not-darkest-brown bits to even it out.

I pulled the vest off and laid it out to dry (yay new clothes line) and put the cloak on the dress for and repeated
Before

After

I’m letting that dry completely before I put the plates onto the vest and then put everything onto the dress form and start weathering it all at once.  I plan to do all the weathering at once so that I can make sure to keep it all even.

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #46 on: Jun 08, 2021, 06:15 AM »
Very nice work!

BioKat

« Reply #47 on: Jul 16, 2022, 11:59 AM »
So it’s been a while. But with being unable to work on things in the house if any of the components have chemical smells since the fabric bits are mostly done, I had to try to find time when it wasn’t either a)40+ mph winds or b)over 90f by 10 am.

Which has finally happened.

Work on the knives - I had leftover leather bits from making the vest and cape. So I cut up some of those and made handle covers for the small knives.  They still need weathering and a bit of trimming, but the leather is now attached.

I’ve been working on all of my 3d printed items using XTC, which works well but I always end up with drips and having to wait forever for them to finish curing before I can go on to the next area. Over the Arctic tundra months one of the 501st friends suggested using UV resin instead, so I got some from the inter webs to try out.

Started with a small area, and so far it seems to work well

Thankfully I waited until I could do this outside. The fumes are a bit strong and definitely would have given me a migraine at the minimum if I had tried this indoors. Thankfully it’s supposed to stay cool enough that the pieces hopefully won’t melt while drying.

Going to try a bigger area next on the two guns I have left to finish.  The smaller one at least needs to get done, since I have a holster for it.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2022, 01:39 PM by BioKat » Logged

BioKat

« Reply #48 on: Jul 16, 2022, 02:17 PM »
More work!

Since the test patch looked good (and had a nice even finish, not too thick AND the lamp came with tools so I could get into those little corners nicely) I continued with more spots.

Got a nice bit done on both guns before it started to rain and I retreated indoors.  Dug out all the pieces and parts to make sure the blasters were the only bits that were still at the beginning stages, and realized I had never dyed the spats/gaiters like I had intended to:
https://i.imgur.com/5n0EIwo.jpg
(Leather belt for color difference)

So I pulled out the dye
https://i.imgur.com/OMTXcpr.jpg

And trusty dye pot (please make sure to never use your dye utensils and tools for food!  This is an old canning pot that was rusty so we couldn’t use it for food anymore but it works perfectly for dying.  We have our dying things clearly labeled to keep them separate)

Filled it up with water:

Making sure that the fabric is pre-wet and the water in the pot will completely cover the fabric without issue.  Then pulled out the fabric and added the dye.  Usually I would mix really well and make sure the fabric is stirred while waiting so that it gets an even color, but this is for a mando - it’s okay if it’s not even. It will just look like weathering.

Let the fabric soak for about half an hour, then pulled it out and rinsed it.

It’s currently drying now. Turned out nice and dark.  Should be perfect.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2022, 01:40 PM by BioKat » Logged

BioKat

« Reply #49 on: Jul 17, 2022, 01:37 PM »
Got magnets attached to the inside of the knees to help keep them in place.

And while I was dying things, dipped the lighter colored throwing knife handles into the pot briefly to give them a bit more color

Then pulled out the foam remnant from a friend and decided to use it as the base of a Hal etc bag, since I don’t yet have one for my mando helmet

Use a motorcycle helmet bag as the template once I checked that my helmet fit

Quick drafted a pattern from it

And have dug out some remnants of fabric from other projects to use for assembly.

This morning it was fairly cool and sunny, so I set things out to try to get the resin to finish any curing and to get the spats to dry

Small gun 1: ready for sanding
Small gun 2: half done
Large gun: around 1/3 done.

Unfortunately it’s too hot to work outside again today (and promises to be even hotter for the next week) so assembly of the helmet bag and probably placement of magnets for the knees will be the main things I can work on inside.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!