Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Project Corsair -- Custom helmet design

• 20 Replies

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Project Corsair -- Custom helmet design
« on: Feb 02, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Hey everyone. Wanted to finally start a thread and share some pictures of a custom helmet build I'm dubbing "The Corsair".

First off I want to preface that this helmet is going to be based off a 3D printed base with some modifications done in CAD, then the rest done by hand since there's only so much I can do in CAD with my skills.

I wanted to design a helmet with more of a tactical or "FAST" feel to it. My current kit is a Legacy kit in the Privateer Brigade. I designed this kit to emulate what a first in/breacher/boarding party. Heavily armored where it counts.

So in comes the design for this helmet. I wanted a tactical feel, somewhat militarized/FAST/Special forces style so I wanted to integrate some tech in to it.

Anyways enough talk, time for some pictures because they'll explain better. excuse the red lines in CAD, they're just artifact likes in the file i couldnt get rid of.

I had a few attempts to print and a few revisions. I printed at 0.01mm layer heights slowly for a super clean finish... this baby took over 200 hours in two 3 main pieces.

from left to right original model helmet for brainstorming, V1 with a layer shift so was no good, and V2 which is current and perfect!

I've begun doing some hand modification, smoothing out areas and rounding over the vertical part of the T Visor edges.

Updates will be sporadic because I'm swamped with IRL work... might get done sooner or later, we shall see!

Re: Project Corsair -- Custom helmet design
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Yep that helmet is gonna suit your kit. are you gonna have the visor underlight effect like your old helmet?

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:13 PM »
My original kit actually has a solid mid blue chromatic visor in it. This helmet is going to have a solid black visor with a blue LED HUD, Republic Commando style.

Lorrd Griffon

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:17 PM »
That is an excellent design and is going to be an outstanding bucket!  :like:

Jaryn Solus

• Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards Special Weapons
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Stunning work!

What software are you using for modelling it?

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Stunning work!

What software are you using for modelling it?

Because I only have the actual .STL file for it, I've been using a mix of meshmixer and Tinkercad for the basic shape functions.

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:09 PM »
I really like this design. Good work.

Sidewalker
Hett'ciri Clan Ruus’alor Sol’yc
Outrider Base CO

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Got a bit of work done for a concept of the right earcap.

Rough work at the moment. planning on refining the placement to by more symmetrical as well as going to better inset all of the details so they're more flush mounted than plant on.

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019, 06:52 AM by wmmbuzzkill » Logged

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I love seeing the opportunities 3d Printing allows us to expand upon. This is a great helmet, what material are you using?

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
M.A.C.K#51 O.O.P.S#48 G.O.M.O.L#34 O.S.B.A. #08
P.W.S.#007 Mando Wraps#04 B.O.B.B#32

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:27 PM »
I love seeing the opportunities 3d Printing allows us to expand upon. This is a great helmet, what material are you using?

Helmet material was done with PLA+

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Small updates, it's starting to look like a proper helmet. Rough sanding stage with some sculpting and filling. Still havent nailed down the ear design.

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Scratching the original ear design, went for something a little less cluttered and gives option for more greebling later down the road (or for others!) (I'm highly considering making a mold of this helmet to resin cast a nice limited run if there's interest.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Noice! :like: :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Den Barren

• Meg cuyir ogir at akaanir a te akaan Tio'r.
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Very nice vod!

"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat?"~What guides my sword if not honor?

Backstory
WIP Links
YouTube Mando Armor Tutorial Channel

Hellwolve

• Darth Kharon
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:34 AM »
(...)
(I'm highly considering making a mold of this helmet to resin cast a nice limited run if there's interest.
(...)

I'm certianly curious about such a thing! Cool work on this helmet! Mostly curious if it'd fit Modern.

"But they, set free from sickness and eld and toils, having fled from the deeply sounding ferry of Akheron."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!