Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lena Can'gal First WIP - Female Armor

• 24 Replies

Lena Can'gal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Lena Can'gal First WIP - Female Armor
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:52 PM »
Hello!

I am excited to say that my armor has arrived!  I would appreciate feedback, especially on the collar and ab plates. 

I ordered the FEM 1 set from The Mandalorian Arsenal (TMA) and clan members think the collar plate is too short and a bit narrow. 
Ab plate is too long.
TMA's chest diamond is tiny, so the one pictured is new. 

I created a cardboard template for a new three piece collar plate that is longer and a bit wider.  Thoughts?   

The red "X" on the blue tape is my belly button, so I plan to cut off the ab plate in that area. 

I used disc magnets to hold the armor in place in the second photo, so those are temporary.
Vest is unfinished and will be hemmed and fitted accordingly. 
Flight suit will be solid black Under Armor style.  I am wearing a printed version of the same top in the photos for contrast so the vest shape can be seen better.

Thanks!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Lena Can'gal First WIP - Female Armor
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:09 PM »
I really like your 3 piece collar, and I think it's a better fit for you.

Your ab trim will also bring it into compliance with the height/width rule for fett style abs, so awesome! (Boba was not concerned about protecting his intestines)

The only real concern I have is that it looks like your chest plates may be a bit wide for you -- looks like the extreme outside corners may be hanging over air.  (but I may be wrong, would need side photos to confirm.)  If they're okay, the rest looks pretty good as a rough draft.

Kir Ru'Kaya

• Ven’dinui at Mando
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:58 PM »

The only real concern I have is that it looks like your chest plates may be a bit wide for you -- looks like the extreme outside corners may be hanging over air.  (but I may be wrong, would need side photos to confirm.)  If they're okay, the rest looks pretty good as a rough draft.

Sep,

When I tested these on her the  chest plates fit really well. It could be that they may need some reshaping. Or that this picture isnt doing her justice. But over all, I can attest that, they fit her well.

O.M. #2189

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Sep,

When I tested these on her the  chest plates fit really well. It could be that they may need some reshaping. Or that this picture isnt doing her justice. But over all, I can attest that, they fit her well.

I thought the pics might be tricking me :) I believe you since you've had hands on the kit :)

Kir Ru'Kaya

• Ven’dinui at Mando
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I thought the pics might be tricking me :) I believe you since you've had hands on the kit :)

Good catch thou. :)

O.M. #2189

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:39 PM »
I agree that the three-piece collar fits better.  :like:

I'm waiting for Kris to jump in and tell you to trim the ab plate, and Sep already has. So, I'll add that, I think the belly plate is a little long, and also add that the CRLs for the Modern Era state that "The vest must not be longer than the chosen waist items." It's totally cool if your waist items go over your vest as long as the vest isn't sticking out the bottom.

On the note of the chest plates, I would love to see the armor from a few more angles. If they are too wide, a possible solution would be to move the chest plates in towards the mid-line, trimming both the chest plates and the diamond accordingly. Or shaping. But shaping female plates is like the literal worst, so . . .  :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more. The vest material is stellar, by the way.  :D

Lena Can'gal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Thanks, Ordeyn!  I love the vest fabric as well.  The vest is unfinished awaiting final decision on ab plate trimming.  The red "X" is my belly button, so the plate will be trimmed in the area of the blue tape line and vest hemmed accordingly. I have an OM that is helping me with that this weekend.

The chest plates actually fit correctly, but the photo is deceiving.  I will definitely double check them at my next fitting and adjust if needed.

I appreciate your feedback!

theValkyrie

• "Some girls just want to be warlords..."
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:17 PM »
I really like the design of your segmented neck-plate! Your ribbed flak vest is also really cool!
I can't wait to see more of this kit! What colors/patterns are you thinking?
Keep up the good work, Vod!

OM 2076 & 2076b

“The quickest way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth ribs.”

Lena Can'gal

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:11 PM »
I really like the design of your segmented neck-plate! Your ribbed flak vest is also really cool!
I can't wait to see more of this kit! What colors/patterns are you thinking?
Keep up the good work, Vod!

Thanks for the compliments!
I am thinking the kit will be fairly dark.  Below is an idea of the color scheme and photos of my test paint.  Paint will be layered and textured in deep pewter, silver and golds with a few weathering marks/scratches (don't want to go crazy with these since the paint has a lot going on).
I am test dying shoulder cape fabric now, and am hoping for a blackish-purple, but that may change.
My boots are black, but I shaded them a bit lighter on the drawing for contrast.
Really dark brown or black for my belt, holsters and pouches.
Suggestions are welcome!

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2019, 03:33 PM by Lena Can'gal » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:19 AM »
I'm waiting for Kris to jump in and tell you to trim the ab plate

...I would of, but somebody had already put tape on it right where I'd suggest to have cut it :P

As long as the paintwork doesn't look like cracking caused by temperature changes when painting layering is good.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kir Ru'Kaya

• Ven’dinui at Mando
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:27 AM »
...I would of, but somebody had already put tape on it right where I'd suggest to have cut it :P

You're welcome  ;)  ;D  :laugh:

O.M. #2189

theValkyrie

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:46 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!
I am thinking the kit will be fairly dark.  Below is an idea of the color scheme and photos of my test paint.  Paint will be layered and textured in deep pewter, silver and golds with a few weathering marks/scratches (don't want to go crazy with these since the paint has a lot going on).
I am test dying shoulder cape fabric now, and am hoping for a blackish-purple, but that may change.
My boots are black, but I shaded them a bit lighter on the drawing for contrast.
Really dark brown or black for my belt, holsters and pouches.
Suggestions are welcome!

I applaud you for doing a test run of all your paints/dyes first! That was smart!

I love the dark on dark look of your kit! It's what Valkyrie was originally supposed to be (don't ask how she ended up red-- I still don't know LOL)!

Not really a suggestion just a caution: Dark on dark kits are sometimes difficult to photograph. If that's something that's important to you it might just be something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, keep up the good work! can't wait to see the end result!

OM 2076 & 2076b

Lena Can'gal

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:47 PM »
I applaud you for doing a test run of all your paints/dyes first! That was smart!

I love the dark on dark look of your kit! It's what Valkyrie was originally supposed to be (don't ask how she ended up red-- I still don't know LOL)!

Not really a suggestion just a caution: Dark on dark kits are sometimes difficult to photograph. If that's something that's important to you it might just be something to keep in mind.

Otherwise, keep up the good work! can't wait to see the end result!

Other members of my clan second your concerns about dark armor.  I've revised my plan to include a lighter metal color (see image of red circled test piece on top of my vest fabric) and incorporated Montana Gold Black Purple paint for the secondary armor color.

Next to my mando is a small diagram of the backplate idea, which plays off of the segmented collar.   

Thoughts?

Kir Ru'Kaya

• Ven’dinui at Mando
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Sexy!!
Love the design!

O.M. #2189

theValkyrie

« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Other members of my clan second your concerns about dark armor.  I've revised my plan to include a lighter metal color (see image of red circled test piece on top of my vest fabric) and incorporated Montana Gold Black Purple paint for the secondary armor color.
Next to my mando is a small diagram of the backplate idea, which plays off of the segmented collar.   
Thoughts?

I absolutely love the new look! I have a segmented back plate as well! I love the way they look! and I really think they tie together well with your segmented neck plate :)

Great job so far with the redesign! I think you're doing phenomenal! Can't wait to see what you do next!

OM 2076 & 2076b

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Great work so far! I really like the collar and backplate design.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Lena Can'gal

« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Great work so far! I really like the collar and backplate design.
Thank you!  I was a little unsure about the backplate at first, but I am getting good feedback.   :)

theValkyrie

« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Thank you!  I was a little unsure about the backplate at first, but I am getting good feedback.   :)

it's unique! excited to see it with some paint on it!

OM 2076 & 2076b

Lena Can'gal

« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Update!

I remade all of the armor pieces except the two chest plates. I think these fit much better.

How’s the spacing?  Does anyone see any issues that need to be addressed?

I will make a chest diamond once spacing is approved.

I am not finished with the collar pieces - they will be the same thickness as the back plates and be even on my shoulder.
Paint on back pieces also not complete.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:52 PM »
I still think the chest plates are far too low :P But without being able to move those up I'd suggest the following:
Trim the very bottom edge of the fangs - they're lifting from the vest so that would also deal with that issue without having to try reshaping them. Then trim the top of the ab and shift it upwards. Keep the gap to the same as you have between your chest plates if you can.
That will leave more room for the waist items and cod plate and allow you more movement. I put a rough guide on to show where things will probably end up sitting - as you can see, even with a small feminine cod and thinner belt you've got very little room there due to the chest being so low.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Lena Can'gal

« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:44 PM »
I still think the chest plates are far too low :P But without being able to move those up I'd suggest the following:
Trim the very bottom edge of the fangs - they're lifting from the vest so that would also deal with that issue without having to try reshaping them. Then trim the top of the ab and shift it upwards. Keep the gap to the same as you have between your chest plates if you can.
That will leave more room for the waist items and cod plate and allow you more movement. I put a rough guide on to show where things will probably end up sitting - as you can see, even with a small feminine cod and thinner belt you've got very little room there due to the chest being so low.

Hi Kris!
Thanks for the feedback. I am sharing a photo of my current plates with waist items (they are WIP, so not complete) to give you an idea of how much space I have. I am a bit challenged in the waist/torso area, as I am 5'3'' with a 38DD chest and a very high natural waist.  I am happy to cut off the chest and ab plate as you suggest, but want to make sure it will not be too short.  Please advise.  THANKS!

Kris Jasra

« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06:23 AM »
I'll beat you in your measurements, good thing it's not a competition ;) :P
Looks like you've shifted the chest plates a little higher in that picture - if they can stay there - keep them and trim the collar plate angles to match. I didn't suggest that because generally chest plates once made to fit too low are kind of stuck there.
The ab gap has been closed a little too, it's given you enough room to squeeze things in as the top of your belt is around where I marked on the previous picture if you compare the placement.
I'd still suggest a tiny bit of trimming - having tried different plate styles and length and belt placements I've found having a slightly larger (segmented) cod plate than you have there and the belts sitting higher has been comfiest. However, if you feel that they're fine there, go for it, just remember to test sitting down and bending over without anything digging in.

Lena Can'gal

« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Lots of progress to report!
I have NOT weathered the spandex undersuit , vest or gloves, but that is on my list.
I also forgot to attach my rangefinder in these photos.
i *may* add a small pouch to the front of my belt, still debating.

Feedback and comments are welcome!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2019, 03:44 PM »
LOVE your colors, and the vertical as opposed to horizontal back plate spacing!!

All that stands out to me is that your ab spacing is larger than the rest of your spacing, and that your knees are overlapping/dipping into your boots.  Chest fangs also need a hair more shaping, they're coming off of you atm. Pretty minor adjustments

Great work!!!

Lena Can'gal

« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Thanks, Sep!
The armor is on with magnets, so I can fix the ab spacing no problem.   ;)  I'll work on the fangs, too.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!