Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nika’s Soft Parts Log

• 10 Replies

Nika

• June27: Weather blasters, armor plate templates
Nika’s Soft Parts Log
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:37 PM »
Updated: June 27, 2019

*Current Checklist*

-Flightsuit: Work In Progress. I tried dyeing scrubs black, was too difficult so I bought a black scrubs set on Amazon. I brought them to a local alterations place so they could sew on undersleeves, remove pockets, and sew my front pockets shut. My flightsuit probably needs to be altered so it's not so baggy...

-Vest: No Vest at the moment. I want to do a black or dark grey possibly. I received my black vest that I ordered from Endelose Cosplay.

-Belt/Sash: No sash at the moment, indecisive on the sash color. I have a sort of brown belt though.

-Holster: No holster at the moment. I have two Jango blasters from hasbro, so I need ones to fit those, I don’t know yet if anybody sells any in my area or online. I feel it would be hard to make and this is my first kit.

-Gloves: No Gloves at the moment. I want to do a burnt yellow or black gloves. I recently found some cool black gloves at Army Navy Surplus Store. There's an "R" on the wrist part, I'll probably cover it with some sort of diagonal stripe.

-Cape: No Cape at the moment. I've decided I'm going to possibly do brown. I received some tips at a recent convention from my local Mercs, I just have to find some material to make it!

-Boots: I found a nice brown pair of boots at a flea market. They are already kind of beat up, which is perfect.

Here is my current rough draft look ->
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.instagram.com%2Fp%2FBzJ1yzog_p9%2F%3Figshid%3Dqt70cygbns47%26fbclid%3DIwAR2v8_d_i-lLbAO2D9AfdqsCzy63db4LRmV6FYuqW1iC3YdDIFdKlEEhSsw&h=AT2-ADJYNaj9IaAH11hEGUDxBPWYbQC-yDrOPg3tzN45jkNpjKyWHgZNr7pdL063See8Jadhz3UYvwOn8Z0PLbf0BFOrHpO2kqDBDuxacSlWa66wxz1V1Hxms8Fk6dKxFo6QF4w7vA4hzG2wOQ

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019, 10:07 AM by Nika » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Nika’s Soft Parts Log
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:46 PM »
A seam ripper will make taking the pockets off a LOT easier, but tiny scissors may also get the job done. -- They're pretty easy to remove. 

Your belt looks great! Just be sure to weather it to match the rest of your kit when you get there!

There's a tutorial PDF for "pistol hangers" -- here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d020ok6x8p6fg54/PISTOL+HANGER+TUTORIAL.pdf

That results in this kind of setup using security door chain. I'm hanging my blaster rifle this way and it works great.

Cape -- duck cloth, canvas, any other heavy-ish fabric, or even thin leather

Sometimes what you're talking about are called "gaiters"

I really like your concept, and I'm a fan of the angular female plates.  A couple of kits in my clan are done that way.

Keep it up, and keep asking questions!!
-Sep

Nika

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:49 PM »
Thank you Sep Ho'ban! Tiny scissors seem to be working, trying them now. Should I be worried about the tiny holes that are there when the seams/thread is taken out?

I kind of want to dye the belt a dark brown (if belts can be dyed??)

Thank you for the pistol hanger pdf! Saving this to my mando folder on my computer!

Yes gaiters is the word!

Here is scrubs I found at Goodwill, I will for sure be dyeing them so they'll be the same color! The 2nd pair of pants I got to use to make long sleeves (they'e the orange ones in above picture)

Another question, for the long sleeves that I will be attaching under the short sleeves, do they have to be the same color? Here is example of how I want sleeves to look anyways -> http://www.bobamaker.co.uk/images/jango-flightsuit/Jango-Flightsuit.jpg

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:56 PM »
i also used the door hanger, and it works great, might want to attach some straps to the bottom that wrap around your leg to keep it from flapping when you walk, and yes, for the double sleeves they have to be the same color, as far as I am aware. 

armor wip
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=133160.0

Yes i have Deathwatch Armor templates, if you want them just pm make the subject deathwatch and put your personal email and i will send them when i get a chance.

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:19 PM »
The double sleeves don't have to be the same color.
From the CRL:
With double sleeved flight suits, contrast of color is acceptable on the arms if the shorter sleeve matches the color of the flight suit.
The short sleeve part from shoulder to bicep-ish has to be the same color.  The part that goes the rest of the way to your wrist does not.

The tiny holes are nothing to worry about.

Looking good! Just try to do a little bit each night, and you'll be surprised how soon you have your stripes!

Nika

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:57 PM »
I see now the holes aren't visible, I only see the little holes on the inside when I put it inside out. It takes patience taking the pockets off, so many tiny threads....

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:00 PM »
VERY TRUE lol :)

dottynotdipsy

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:45 PM »
You've got a solid plan and are asking a lot of great questions which really helps with keeping a build moving along.

To dye your belt it depends on what its made from and how much effort its worth. Leather can be re-dye though I couldn't tell you how exactly, and I've also heard of cosplayers using leather/pleather paint, Angelus is the brand often mentioned, to recolor leather and fake leather parts.

Nika

« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:36 AM »
I'll put Angelus paint in my notes, thank you!!

If I were to use this ammo belt I got from a pawn shop, what could I put on the loop things? Obviously not bullets because blasters in Star Wars have laser blasts. I guess pouches, trophies? I'm not sure if anybody has used a belt like this with these bullet loops on them before & how they decorated it. I do want to dye them a darker brown possibly in the future.

And are these brown boots too high? I realize it may be a problem because knee plates go there, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. Does it matter if there's sort of a word on the bottom of the boot? Boots from Goodwill, $15-20 I think they were. I originally bought them for a renaissance festival last year  ;D

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2019, 01:00 AM by Nika » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Thats a nice belt. You could put power packs in it ;) if you have a look at some other threds in here you can see what othees have done. I have seen quite. Afew people use them.

The word on the sole should not be a problem.

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Nika

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2019, 07:42 PM »
I was wondering how fitted do flightsuits have to be?

*I'm updating my top post on this topic with everything new I've acquired.

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019, 09:58 AM by Nika » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!