Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nikaís Soft Parts Log

• 7 Replies

Nika

• Current project: find clothes for flightsuit Jan27
Nikaís Soft Parts Log
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:37 PM »
Hello, I acquired some scrubs. I have a belt, not sure if itís usable. (I will add pictures Monday night)

*Current Checklist*
-Flightsuit: Work In Progress. I found a short sleeve scrubs shirt & 2 scrubs pants. I got a 2nd scrubs pants to use the fabric from it to put longer sleeves on the shirt. All three are different colors, so Iíll be dying them. Is it easy to remove pockets?
Do I just use tiny scissors to cut the tiny threads on the inside where they were sewn on? Iíve never sewn or worked on anything like this before. I want to do dark grey probably.

-Vest: No Vest at the moment. I want to do a black or dark grey possibly.

-Belt/Sash: No sash at the moment. I have a sort of brown belt though, not sure if itís ok to use? Iím on my phone so hereís the Instagram picture link  ;D https://instagram.com/p/BnDMoqCAtY5/

-Holster: No holster at the moment. I have two Jango blasters from hasbro, so I need ones to fit those, I donít know yet if anybody sells any in my area or online. I feel it would be hard to make and this is my first kit.

-Gloves: No Gloves at the moment. I want to do a burnt yellow or black gloves.

-Cape: No Cape at the moment. Iím not sure what material to get, someone recommended duck cloth before? Not sure what color I want to do yet.

-Boots/Wraps/Spats: None yet. I want to either do wraps or spats on the Boots. I hope spats is the right word itís called. Someone had posted on Facebook that they took an old leather jacketís sleeves & made spats/a boot cover on the shin ankle area, seems like a cool idea if I find any old leather stuff. Not sure if Iíll do brown or black boots.

Iím so excited to get back on doing my kit slowly but surely now that the busy holidays are over :)  Here is current rough draft look ->
https://i.imgur.com/5Jiwslp.jpg

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
Re: Nikaís Soft Parts Log
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:46 PM »
A seam ripper will make taking the pockets off a LOT easier, but tiny scissors may also get the job done. -- They're pretty easy to remove. 

Your belt looks great! Just be sure to weather it to match the rest of your kit when you get there!

There's a tutorial PDF for "pistol hangers" -- here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d020ok6x8p6fg54/PISTOL+HANGER+TUTORIAL.pdf

That results in this kind of setup using security door chain. I'm hanging my blaster rifle this way and it works great.

Cape -- duck cloth, canvas, any other heavy-ish fabric, or even thin leather

Sometimes what you're talking about are called "gaiters"

I really like your concept, and I'm a fan of the angular female plates.  A couple of kits in my clan are done that way.

Keep it up, and keep asking questions!!
-Sep

Nika

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:49 PM »
Thank you Sep Ho'ban! Tiny scissors seem to be working, trying them now. Should I be worried about the tiny holes that are there when the seams/thread is taken out?

I kind of want to dye the belt a dark brown (if belts can be dyed??)

Thank you for the pistol hanger pdf! Saving this to my mando folder on my computer!

Yes gaiters is the word!

Here is scrubs I found at Goodwill, I will for sure be dyeing them so they'll be the same color! The 2nd pair of pants I got to use to make long sleeves (they'e the orange ones in above picture)

Another question, for the long sleeves that I will be attaching under the short sleeves, do they have to be the same color? Here is example of how I want sleeves to look anyways -> http://www.bobamaker.co.uk/images/jango-flightsuit/Jango-Flightsuit.jpg

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:56 PM »
i also used the door hanger, and it works great, might want to attach some straps to the bottom that wrap around your leg to keep it from flapping when you walk, and yes, for the double sleeves they have to be the same color, as far as I am aware. 

"Nothing is true, everything is permissive. or as my momma always use to say 'there ain't a dark side or a light side only gray'. You are gonna find many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.'-Zane Ordo on his view of the force.
armor wip
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=133160.0

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:19 PM »
The double sleeves don't have to be the same color.
From the CRL:
With double sleeved flight suits, contrast of color is acceptable on the arms if the shorter sleeve matches the color of the flight suit.
The short sleeve part from shoulder to bicep-ish has to be the same color.  The part that goes the rest of the way to your wrist does not.

The tiny holes are nothing to worry about.

Looking good! Just try to do a little bit each night, and you'll be surprised how soon you have your stripes!

Nika

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:57 PM »
I see now the holes aren't visible, I only see the little holes on the inside when I put it inside out. It takes patience taking the pockets off, so many tiny threads....

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 11:00 PM »
VERY TRUE lol :)

dottynotdipsy

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:45 PM »
You've got a solid plan and are asking a lot of great questions which really helps with keeping a build moving along.

To dye your belt it depends on what its made from and how much effort its worth. Leather can be re-dye though I couldn't tell you how exactly, and I've also heard of cosplayers using leather/pleather paint, Angelus is the brand often mentioned, to recolor leather and fake leather parts.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!