Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft parts WIP//boot questions

• 2 Replies
Soft parts WIP//boot questions
« on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:38 PM »
First off here is a general idea of what I’m going for: Kama will be a little different but I haven’t drawn it out yet.

I have what I think will be most of my soft parts done or gathered. Will this work for my flight suit? It is a scrub top, turtleneck and scrub pants I think I need to take in the lower legs so it’s not so bunched/more form fitting. Also do I need to remove the pockets on the butt or will they be okay if I wear a kama?

I also have these boots I plan on using. I want to distress them and color them so they are more black, as my design is mostly red/grey and brown boots would look weird in my opinion.

For my flak vest I gave this jacket I am debating scraping. It is faux leather, and I intend on wearing it with the zipper in the back covered by an armor plate. I would also take the sleeves and extra material and add it to my belt.

Otherwise I’ll use this denim material and sew one if the jacket isn’t approvalable

And finally for my cape and kama I have this what is now pink but I want to dye darker material. I will also weather it after I dye it.

Am I heading the right direction with everything or should I alter course now so I don’t end up with a lot of extra work ahead of me?

Besides gloves am I missing any key pieces needed for approval thus far. I have not started building armor or my bucket yet, I wanted to start here because I have done lots of costuming and re-enacting and starting with your base layer is generally the best option to make sure all your outer pieces fit properly.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Soft parts WIP//boot questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Your flight suit and the notes for it are all good.   :)  If you can take in the scrub's arms to make those a little less baggy, that'd be a great idea.  And as long as you're wearing a kama, you don't need to worry about removing the back pockets.  The jacket should work for your vest.  You'll need to hide or removed the zippers for the pockets, though.  The seams on the back of the jacket might look a bit odd on the front, but they'll mostly be covered by armor plates, so that jacket should be fine.  If you decide to change things up and do a vest from scratch, I'd suggest using duck cloth.  It's the preferred material due to its sturdiness.  The boots will work, too.

Overall, you've got a really solid plan.  I'm looking forward to watching you bring this kit to life.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Tusken Dan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member EnviroOps
Re: Soft parts WIP//boot questions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Havelock has you covered. I'll add only one additional remark based on my own experience. It can be tricky scavenging material from a garment to be sure you have enough. Just consider that if you run short, it's not a material you can replace easily. I recommend seem ripping instead of cutting so you have the maximum amount.
Good luck with it.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!