Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jet pack/Jump Pack/ Repulsor Pack

• 3 Replies

LusjoOrdo

• I don't use the Force. I just use force.
Jet pack/Jump Pack/ Repulsor Pack
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 01:39 AM »
Alright Vods. This one has my head spinning so I figured I'd throw this out there.

I am looking to make a Sniper at some point but was told that Jet Packs are out for Snipers for Brigade approval. So that had me seek out what Repulsor and Jump Packs look like. That's where my problems began.

When you look up Repulsor Packs, for whatever reason they show a picture of the Dark Trooper from Battlefront. Meanwhile when you look up the Dark Trooper it states they are using Jump Packs and further states they are forms of Jet Packs. Also when used in the game, they emitted a sound similar to a Jet Pack and Repulsor Packs are stated to be quiet. So that eliminates it being a Repulsor or a reference of what a Repulsor Pack looks like. When you look into the description of Repulsor Packs it states they are similar in design to Jet Packs. Which means I guess they can look the same.

When you look into Jump Packs, it directs you to the newer Battlefront games version of Aerial Troops. Their description states they are types of "Jet Packs" that allow you to jump short distances. Yet they look like small air conditioners on the wearers back. Which doesn't make them seem practical for a Sniper. They are large and cumbersome, and less maneuverable than a normal Jet Pack making them less advantageous. Their only use I have determined is that they may have been cost efficient to mass produce for large scale armies. That being said, when you actually play Battlefront, the Aerial troops equipped with the Jump Packs have abilities like "Improved Jetpack"  and "Jetpack Burst". Which leads me to believe they are in fact Jetpacks or types of Jetpacks.

This basically brings me to a question of sorts. Am I permitted to take an Arena style Jetpack and say it uses Repulsor tech or is a Jump Pack? I have seen other threads here where an individual labeled his Jetpack a Repulsor Pack, yet it was just another Arena style Jetpack. To further the point, since Battlefront seems to be the most prevalent source for all these technologies, the Clone Aerial troopers in the game are using Arena style Jetpacks but they function like the other faction's jump packs.

"If you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me." 

Staten Island, NY, USA
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #40
M.A.R.S.
M.M.R.S. #42

WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=165621.0

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Jet pack/Jump Pack/ Repulsor Pack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 02:41 AM »
I could be wrong, so take this with a grain of salt.  Going by the general aesthetics of the brigade from the BRL, a jump pack or repulsor pack is likely meant to be a smaller or streamlined model, compared to the basic big and bulky jetpack.  Think Rebels, or Commander Cody.

LusjoOrdo

• I don't use the Force. I just use force.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:22 AM »
Right but the actual canon examples of jump jacks are big and bulky and not streamlined. Which makes them not practical for snipers. Which belabors the point. Would canon examples, ie Battlefront, supersede thoughts and guesses to their looks? Especially since there are previously approved builds as jet packs labled repulsor or jump.

And again, jump packs are labled as types of Jet Packs in the end. Which could be why Clone troopers had Arena style Jet packs with Jump tech to make them cost efficient.

« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2019, 03:49 PM by Havelock » Logged
Staten Island, NY, USA
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #40
M.A.R.S.
M.M.R.S. #42

WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=165621.0

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:51 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

Your best bet is going to be to PM the Brigade Captain or Brigade Marshall for Special Operations.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!