Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Avelin Kel WIP

• 31 Replies

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
Avelin Kel WIP
« on: Mar 03, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Hey Vode!

I have been extremely busy getting my kit together for Star Wars Celebration. I am hoping to put in for approval in the next week or so. My fiance (Slade Kel) gave me the amazing gift of a set of light armor made by Mandalore the Uniter  :mtu:. My vest was made by Mandalore's wife, Elisha. Aside from clear coat I am almost finished with my painting. I need to cut down my boot plates a little before I can paint those as I have small feet. I also have to paint my chicago screws the same color as my armor.  I do have thigh and shin plates that I made from 16 gauge steel, but I don't know if I will have those painted and attached before going for approval.

I am currently working on vest attachment, making leather ammo pouches and blaster holsters, and 3D printing some belt accouterments.

I have a 2 piece flight suit with Dickies, so I don't have to strip everything off when I inevitably need to pee.

I 3D printed a realistic Westar 35 (modeled by 3dpicasso). It will be my primary weapon.

Here are a few pics of what I have going on. I will hopefully post up some pics with me wearing the armor for placement over the next few days.

Helmet:

Overall shot:

Back Plate:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Avelin Kel WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2019, 07:12 PM »
She's really close to done, mostly it's just down to attachment and supplementary soft parts right now, and reforging a pair of my old gauntlets to fit her. She neglects to mention that the paint was all her; I pointed her at some reference pictures, but she went to town and did a really great job. Without the flash on and under our semi-indirect living room lighting you lose a lot of the weathering details, so when we get the armor mounted on her I'll make sure we get pictures with good lighting. I know step one is usually 'get it on so we can check the sizing' but the bossman did a bang up job on the fit of everything. Only issue, like she said, is the boot plates because they're made to the standard pattern and she does have smallish feet.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:12 AM »
Looking forward to seeing more.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Looks amazing, and with Slade's experience, you should have no trouble getting your killstripes!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:44 PM »
Evening everyone!

Thank you for all of your input! Much appreciated!

Some small updates. I did a preliminary test fit for the chest and back plates. Mostly to make sure I had velcro in the correct places. I definitely need to add some more to the belly plate as that will sit a little higher than I originally traced out. The red shoulder plate that sits lower will get some padding. My shoulders are not level with one another which throws off the alignment of the plates. I will also adjust the spacing of the chest plates to be a little more even. I will add some more velcro to the tops of the chest plates as they float a little at the top right now.

What is not picture but is outlined in chalk are the 2 purple shoulder bells that will sit on those empty flaps. I need to add attachments and I seem to have put 1 of them in a "safe place." Lets hope I remember where that is. haha  :D

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:10 AM »
Looking good vod.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Ok... first off -- WOW! You've got a good eye for the paint and weathering, and your plates are fitting you very well :)
Don't forget to weather your soft parts to match :)

Love your helmet choice!

My shoulders are so uneven that it's visible when you look at just my vest.  I solved it by giving symmetry the finger, and using two entirely different shoulder designs.  Your shoulder's are looking good as is though, and we make exceptions for body assymetry, and other issues of the like. 

The only thing that really jumps out at me atm, is that the back of your helmet, below the brow ridge, is a lot cleaner than the rest of the bucket, or at least is in this lighting. 

Hope to see you and Slade both get your stripes before Celebration!

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Looking great vod!!! Can’t wait to see more progress!

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Good evening Vode!

Thank you for the added input and suggestions!

I have added some better pictures of the helmet. It did look very clean in the image I shared previously.

I have been hard at work trying to finish up everything. I have all of my soft parts now and I have started weathering. I am not going to use diluted bleach on mine. I see that is a common thing for weathering black cloth, but I am a little weary of doing so. I have found a few good brown and lighter grey paints. I figured those combined with good ole sandpaper should do the trick.

I realized my boot armor does fit with the boots that I picked out! So I don't need to cut them down. I have painted and weathered those plates. I finally found the safe place that my diamond was in so I also completed the weathering on that.

I snagged a spare pair of metal gauntlets we had and today my focus was cutting them down to fit and removing the gazillion layers of paint on them.

Tomorrow I will have those painted and weathered, and with luck I will have better pics of me wearing everything!

For this kit I decided to delve into leatherworking and so I made my own holsters for the Westar-35s I will have as well as my belt pouches. All of my armor straps will also be leather attached with chicago screws.

Here are so more pics :) Please ignore the mess in the background!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2019, 11:11 PM »
Everything is coming along great,  cyar'ika, keep working on the list and it'll be done in no time!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2019, 05:00 PM »
This is all looking great!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10:40 PM »
This is all looking great!
Thank you Havelock and Slade. I am making steady progress. I focused on weathering my soft parts today and I got my blasters casted and mostly painted. I am also working on adding in the thigh and shin plates that Slade has graciously helped me make. I realized the old mando pants I have, already have velcro on them from a few years ago for thigh plates. Figured I'd go ahead and utilize it instead of ripping it off. Here are some more pics.

I also found some maroon fabric that matches my paint scheme really well. I am going to use that for a waist sash because my girth belt has seen better days.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2019, 11:06 PM »
nice work with the softgoods weathering! black is tricky!

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:40 PM »
Wow! This is coming along very nicely.  Love the leather work. Bravo!  :like:

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Thank you Shar and Sep!

I am still plugging away at this. I have since attached all leg armor. I am having some trouble with the chest plates. The spacing looks good up close but in photos it looks like the collar and chest plates are almost touching.

I think I have a solution for that. I need to figure out which bra I was wearing when I made the duct tape mannequin that I sent to Tom... haha. The amount of lift changes how the plates sit on me.

I also miss interpreted Slade's "The chicago screws need to match the armor" as, as long as they go with the color scheme they are good. So I need to repaint most of those. My main color is the cream color and I did all of the chicago screws in the maroon (my secondary).

I will have updated images tomorrow provided the rain/snow clears out by the afternoon. It is tough in our apartment to get a clear head on shot. I have a pic of the first test fit below, but it is at an angle. :(

I have since curved the cod plate more and added extra attachment up to my belt so it sits better, added stirrups to my pants so they don't come out of the boot as pictured and scrunch up my knees,. The plates look really crooked because of that. I also raised my left purple shoulder bell a little to help offset my crooked shoulders.

I will add my attachment for the chest diamond once my chest plates have their permanent home.

Gauntlets are almost complete. Letting the glue on the hinges cure.

I did make a kama with leather and I lined it with maroon fabric. I am also debating on remaking the sash so it is wider and covers more of my abdomen. It bunches quite a bit. I am hoping my holster belt will help hold it in place. I'll test that out tomorrow. :)

Cheers!
Avelin

EDIT! So my shaping is off because my spacing is definitely off. I just pulled up the photos Tom posted to his Mandalore the Uniter facebook page and he had the plates much closer on my mannequin than I do on my body. I will adjust accordingly  ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2019, 08:41 PM by Avelin Kel » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2019, 07:20 AM »
I also miss interpreted Slade's "The chicago screws need to match the armor" as, as long as they go with the color scheme they are good. So I need to repaint most of those. My main color is the cream color and I did all of the chicago screws in the maroon (my secondary).

Quoted for clarity since she hid it in the middle of a huge wall of text. Is my interpretation correct? Would she need to repaint the screw heads to match the plate they are on, or is it cool for then to be the secondary color instead?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2019, 08:02 AM »
They have to match the plate they're on . Correct.

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2019, 08:46 AM »
They have to match the plate they're on . Correct.

Alright! I'll get those painted after my dentist appointment today  :-X

Thank you for the clarification  :D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2019, 05:51 PM »
Thanks Sep :D

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Updates! I got everything on!

I noticed a few things, 1) I need to redo the velcro for the ab plate. It is crooked and not sitting flat. 2) The weathering was not captured well in the pics. If you see my earlier images you can see how much is actually on the vest, shirt and pants. 3) The gloves still need weathering. They are new and shiny. lol 4) My thigh placement was slightly off.

My actual shoulders are uneven so the plates on the left (my right) sit a little lower. That purple shoulder bell is attached higher.

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2019, 08:41 PM »
So Slade has me under the impression that if it has been 24 hours it isn't double posting.  :P If it it let me know and I will combine this with my last post.

I put Pre-app pics in my clan thread and I figured I'd post them up here as well.  Let me know what y'all think  ;D

Apologies for the different backgrounds. I had to chase the sunlight today. It was quite cloudy.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2019, 09:43 PM »
Slade is correct about the 24-hour "rule". :laugh:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Ok, same deal as slade -- Your kit looks AWESOME! You guys have done some really great work --

Supernitpickymode engaged:
Most of your blak softgoods could use a bit of weathering, or the kit needs to be photographed in lighting that shows the weathering.
There is a different angle from the right side of your collar plate to your right chest plate, than from the left side of your collar plate to your left chest plate.
flightsuit sleeves may need a bit of tailoring, or tucking they're a hair baggy right now.

That's really all I'm seeing right now.  Good luck with the clan level pre-app!

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Ok, same deal as slade -- Your kit looks AWESOME! You guys have done some really great work --

Supernitpickymode engaged:
Most of your blak softgoods could use a bit of weathering, or the kit needs to be photographed in lighting that shows the weathering.
There is a different angle from the right side of your collar plate to your right chest plate, than from the left side of your collar plate to your left chest plate.
flightsuit sleeves may need a bit of tailoring, or tucking they're a hair baggy right now.

That's really all I'm seeing right now.  Good luck with the clan level pre-app!

Thanks Sep! I appreciate the nitpicking. I want to make sure this kit is 100% before I finally submit my app.

Those are definitely things I will make adjustments too.  I have a new ring light apparatus that I want to try taking more pics with. Hopefully it will capture the soft parts weathering better. If not, I'll do some more finger painting.  :D

In addition to your list, I added more velcro to my boots to better hold those plates. They kept shifting around on me when I was taking the pictures.

My next update will likely be post Celebration. In crazy packing mode right now.  :laugh:

-Avelin

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Miraculously, both of us were able to fit nearly our entire kits in the smaller luggage cases we had, the 'carry-on' size. She had to put her back plate in her full size luggage and I had to pack my belts and boots in mine. And of course we're carrying our helmets on. I'd carry the whole damn set of armor on if I didn't think TSA would have a conniption :P :P.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!