Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Electronic Monocular

• 6 Replies

Bat Akaan

• Awards EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member
« on: Mar 08, 2019, 11:08 AM »

I thought I would share this project I am working on. I have noticed a ton of people using my previous Mando Electro Micro Binocular file and I am so pleased that so many of you like and use the model. In case you are not aware, I started that project last year for my Brigade build. I wanted a smaller version of the well-known electro binocular from ESB. I designed a model using tinkercad to be similar in aesthetics but smaller. Here was my side by side comparison of the two models.

Anyway, if you want to see how I finished my model and added electronics you can read all about it on page #2 here:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=144162.15

And if you want to download the free model of those binoculars you can get it here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2765967

Anywho, this post is about going even more compact. I designed a Monocular (and yes I know I misspelled it as Minocular in several places) to be similar in appearance to the binocular. I even reused the objective lens from the binocular. Anyway, here are the concept model pics.

I am currently printing the file and will update the files as needed.

If anyone is interested, you can download the files for free from here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3476110

I will update this thread as time permits. Enjoy…

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71
Main WIP|Sniper WIP|Executioner WIP nos planto faecem venio

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Mandalorian Electronic Monocular
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2019, 12:38 PM »
I'm one of the ones who printed your original, for a friend who has it on her build :)  It prints really well the way you have it cut up.  I like your new concept too! :) Thanks for sharing!

Bat Akaan

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Sep, you are most welcome.

Cabur Akaata #128 | Oribru Akaata #29 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #152 | M.V.S. #69 | OM #2001 | Naast #2001 | BM #260 | OT Guard #71

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Very cool! I really dig the monocular deal. Thanks for sharing!

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Bat Akaan

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:19 AM »
Ori, you are welcome.

Ok I printed a thing. On my Prusa I3MK3 I used the 0.15mm Optimal setting with a fill density of 20% and I printed with supports. The filament is Matter Hackers MH ABS Build Series 1.75mm. I prefer ABS over PLA since it is more impact resistant; however, ABS can be tricky. ABS can deform and crack during the printing if there is air circulating around it so I recommend you have an enclosure around your printer if you print with ABS.

After it printed, I gave all the parts an Acetone wash. Simply put some Acetone in a metal bowl, dip a brush in the acetone and wipe all the parts with it. Place the parts on some wax paper and let dry. The Acetone will melt the outer layer of ABS creating a gloss coating on the model and assist in smoothing some of the print lines. You will lose some detail but not a lot. The parts will become very sticky when the Acetone is applied. Think of it like coating the part with super glue. Here are the two end caps after the Acetone wash.

You will notice that there are still lots of defects on the parts. I used 100 and 220 grit sand paper to even out the surface and remove any defects. After sanding I test fit everything and reduced any lips that did not fit well. I washed all the parts with warm soapy water, rinsed and hung them to dry.

That is where I am at this time.

Update,
I built all the electronics (sans momentary push button switches which should arrive today).

Sanded and ready for primer paint.

After the primer cured, I applied a layer of metallic silver over all the parts except the objective lens shaft.

I have modeled a small light diffusion box for the ocular screen and will print it tonight.
Thanks for the interest.

Update,

Well Amazon has failed me. The momentary switches have still not arrived. Oh well, there is new DLC for Fallout 76, so there is that.

Ok, I applied the olive-green paint on the parts that needed it and applied flat black on the shaft and lens end cap.

So, once the switches come in, I will assemble everything and then begin the weathering.

Thanks for the interest.

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2019, 11:02 AM by Bat Akaan » Logged

TheTKO

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:02 PM »
Its a nice idea! Looks good vod ! keep the good work :like:

Bat Akaan

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:22 AM »
TheTKO, thank you.

Update, well Amazon finally got the switches to me. Switches installed and tested.

Next, I sanded off some of the green and made some stencils for graphics. I also printed out the light box and made the screen. Lastly I painted some of the detail on the end caps.

I had to cut down the circuit board for the segmented LED so that it would fit inside.

After painting the graphics, I applied a black wash to further weather the parts.

Lastly, I build the two lenses and used a very thin piece of styrene on the inside to diffuse the LED.

That’s it for the update, thanks for the interest.

Update,
Ok well I assembled everything and installed the electronics.

The final product was exactly what I was shooting for. This should make a nice addition to people’s kits especially for brigade kits.

Thanks for the interest.

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019, 01:04 PM by Bat Akaan » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!