Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aposematic Mando WIP part 2

• 1 Replies

DARKhoblin

• Mirlah Casarad
Aposematic Mando WIP part 2
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Alrighty, It has definitely been some time since I last updated this. I'm putting this in the woman's armor board cause I am a very small person and some of my stuff may help another feirce, tiny lady in the future!  :<3:  I'm going to try and go into a bit more detail on each of my pieces so If this gets long, I do apologize. Haha

I shall start with the first thing I made, which was my vest, which fits fairly well over the shirt I'm using for my kit.

It's crafted with a semi-synthetic canvas-like material, which is nice and hearty. The sleeves have a thicker fabric in between the front and lining just to give it some oompha. The material that has pintucks is a Vinyl that I had (way) too much of, It was later weathered to remove the majority of that shininess.  The pintucks and sleeves are stitched with a contrasting silver thread to look more graphic. I like the details!

Previously I had straps running along the sides of the vest and it attached at the shoulder, but that proved to be a literal nightmare to get in an out of, So I am now switching that to side closures.

The Loin Cloth and Kama situation!

I call this a 'situation' because the kama on the left is made out of stiffer, semi-synthetic cotton. It didn't take very well to my gradient dye and it moves about as gracefully as a cement block, which I don't like. The Loincloth to the right is definitely a thinner fabric, it flows nicely and took the dye much richer and It looks awesome! Its just thinner, so I'm not sure if it's true to the mando aesthetic. But it's true to my aesthetic so, -shrug- I'll keep both.

The kama on the left is secured to a fabric belt which stays fastened with velcro.  The one on the right is fastened with snap buttons. And fancy loops. (Oooo!)

Belt(s)!

This is my main belt, it's pretty straight forward, I have made six pouches that now sit more forward this, the belt can be worn at the hips or lower waist. I plan to wear it at the lower waist now.  That strap will probably be removed as I won't need to mount a holster anymore. I plan to stiffen the pouches.

This is my blaster holster so far! Undyed and the actual holster bit will be stitched on soonish, I hope. (Its, not a big blaster, I'm just really small!)

Speaking of a blaster

I really like Padme! So I ended up doing a heavier take on the ELG-3A blaster pistol from ep 1.

My dad and I always wanted to work on props when I was a kid, and I happen to be staying with my parents at the moment. So we took this opportunity to work on this together.  :<3:

SO SHINEY, I used Duplicolour Chrome. It's like a mirror.

Post black wash, I am now working on staining the wood handle and maybe adding some tassel decorations with beading. TASSLES!

For Melee weapons I have:

This awesome shortsword and dagger that a dear friend cnc cut for me. My bevel on the dagger won't be as beautiful as the one you put on the sword, Thank you, Ruusaar!  I was playing with the idea that the short sword would primarily have coral orange markings and the dagger would have mint blue. The idea is that the sword is there to distract the enemy and the dagger is poisoned. Don't engage in melee combat with Mirlah!

Helmet, colours and symbols! (Ohh my!)

In the previous WIP, I only had my model for my helmet, but now...

SHES ALIVE!
Printed by a good friend of mine, I'm not sure what printer he has though. This will be shipped to me, at some point. I swear.

And here is I, playing with the colours and potential shapes. Jaig eyes are a must. Someone in my clan put a strill on his helmet and the tusks draped down to the cheeks and BY JOVE ITS BEAUTIFUL. SO, I wanted to try out that idea with a tongue or bug pincers. I think the pincers look really cool.

And so, I conclude with more playing with colours and a possible family crest. the surname Ca'sarad, is a mandoa word for 'Nightflower' or 'nightshade'. A beautiful but poisonous flower.

And my plates are primed! I took this photo before I adjusted the spacing around the diamond. The plates should be rotated just slightly at the top. OOPS. (Also don't mind the copper diamond, tried out gilding and it didn't quite go as planned. And the red velvet is a placeholder for a girth belt. )

As mentioned in my last WIP, the inspiration for my colours are an evolutionary phenomenon known as aposematism. I find this phenomenon is often in science fiction to amplify that 'alien' effect to plants and creatures. Sharp, saturated colours, bioluminescence and/or tusks and spikes are used to communicate toxicity or danger. I see this in various plants and environments in star wars, the Zabrak are -very- aposematic.

Also 10 points to whoever finds that grammatical/spelling error I found and then lost in this post! curse you Grammarly! Red isn't spelled wrong!

Malchais

• A foundling finding his way.
Re: Aposematic Mando WIP part 2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2020, 11:11 PM »
I was searching for wood weapons and it pulled up your thread. I really like the design of those blades. I'm assuming vibroblades? I like the ribbing on the vest too. Overall it looks great. Nice job!

- Malchais Ven'sura

WiP Galleries
Thermal Detonator WiP - https://imgur.com/a/dODwPX8
Customized Westar 35 Blaster WiP - https://imgur.com/a/SdYmGwh
Customized Verpine Sniper Rifle WiP - https://imgur.com/a/YNqEUQy
Vibro Chopper WiP - https://imgur.com/a/G3NaIas
"Dune Wolf" Kit Design - https://imgur.com/a/Ehze2nH

"We're more than a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas - but we can certainly kill you." Mandalore the Destroyer

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!