Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Third times the charm WIP (Pic Heavy)

• 55 Replies
Re: Third times the charm WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #25 on: Apr 10, 2019, 04:51 PM »
A few small updates and a query.

Who's this awesome dude! Also as important, do we know how he made that codpiece, and what category it fits under? (Light or Medium, Soft or Armoured?)

----
A basic version of my proton carbine, the intent is to shroud the barrel, tweak a few magazines, if I can find a reasonably priced carrying handle/scope (sub £40) add that, and add the black rubber ladders when they arrive.

----
Halfway test on the Ghillie Kama, I'm happy with the swish and im cutting up strips to stain in order to finish this. Can I get an App Team member to say if this is looking approvable please?

https://youtu.be/D5OaL0HiM1A
----

Shin and knee plating doodled out, the knee isn't straight on top but this is more for a test cut.

----

My concern about back plates, is I'm running solo without a workshop and my workspace is either the kitchen, part of the garage (on top of the freezer usually), or in the back garden. Getting the curve right on such a piece solo without assistance will be a nightmare. Hence my thinking on an (approved source) purchase.

----

Edit 1 & 2

There was some curiosity as to what the plates would look like over the breast plate. First layer is the iconic plates (red pen line shading), and then a simple slab over the heart and top of lungs (yellow biro line). The top trauma plate is 1/4 of an inch in from the iconic edge.

The iconic plates will on top of this breast plate, as outlined by the red pen. The space between each plate is 1/2 an inch, the distance between the edge and the iconic plates is 5/8ths. Enough to step and still hold paint.

I've also broadened the fangs inside edge so they're less stiletto like! So the outside edge is as before, but the inside covers a little more toward my diaphragm.

If this gets a thumbs up, I'm going to do the ab-plate in a similar style and matching that internal bell curve.

Here is the template over the clean breast plate.

End of Edit 1.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2019, 06:06 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged
Brute Force and Ignorance are capable of changing the universe.

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

Brute Force allows you to break the rules that others can merely bend.

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #26 on: Apr 15, 2019, 11:52 AM »
First regarding the mando cod, his armor would be considered light. The cod looks like sintra cut into 3 pieces and mounted on fabric. Not sure who it is.

As for the rest, I'll get back to you. I want to get more eyes on your kama.

EDIT:
Ok got some feedback on the ghillie. It seems you are the first or at least one of the few to come up with something like this, so a definite answer will have to wait till the finished product, but so far so good. The key will be to make sure it is not too earthy and to make sure it does not look out of place compared with the rest of your kit.

The strips are good, to prevent them from creeping into "earthy" territory I recommend preventing further fray (as many ghillie suits are stringy). The best way to prevent fray is to sew a stitch about 0.25" to 0.5" in from each side of the strip. Dye is recommended to color your strips in order to keep them from being stiff.

Blaster: I would say it could use a bit more swarzy modifications. I know you have more mods planned so I'll hold off before I get too specific. One thing for sure is that the screw holes need to be filled in, particularly the one in the large open space in the stock. In fact, modifying that space a bit could help make it more swarzy, or at least less identifiable as a toy gun.

Back plate: Yeah, that would be tough, not impossible, but tough. Malakier Vhett made his own back plate, alone, in an apartment. He punched it, and it broke. But he glued it together, made it look like a field weld and it ended up working out with help from posting photos on the forums and getting feedback from the ap team. If you choose to make your own, we will do our best to guide you through shaping. In fact, if you do that, PM me and maybe we can set up a time where you, me and Malakier can try to video chat through the process.

Chest plates:
Your templates look good! Add the bit extra to make the fangs less stiletto, as you said, and I think that will look really cool!

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2019, 01:03 PM by J'Khara Vontess » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #27 on: Apr 22, 2019, 09:16 PM »
Oh wow, that picture is old school! I cannot remember his name for the life of me, but I vaguely remember his build. He was the first person to get soft shoulders approved based on some comic book reference or another. I can confirm that his cod piece is a fabric 'soft cod' with sintra plates attached to it, I think by velcro. By current reckoning I think it would be technically considered an armored cod piece, though some might consider it an armored loincloth because of the manner of construction. I'm going to have to scour the old threads to see if I can't find his original build thread and figure out who he was  :-\

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2019, 03:04 PM »
So I figured it out! The merc in question is whitecrow1, who has apparently not been active in a little over a year. If you want a couple of other angles at his segmented cod piece you can check his gallery thread here. Just don't mind all of the arguing back and forth about him not wanting to be required to have hard shoulder armor.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:27 AM »
To borrow a phrase, its been a while!

Depression/Anxiety kicking my -censored-, and closing down my business and picking up small jobs here and there slowed my build to a standstill.

Over the last few days however I got back on the horse, and got my Stalker base painted (prime, chrome, matte varnish, chrome, matte black) and now I'm making it up.

3 hours of work got me this far last night, so 2 hours tonight should have it masked up fully. I'm still unsure about the small square panels that are next to the mohawk/ridge.

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

J'Khara Vontess

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 08, 2019, 11:41 PM »
I'm so sorry that life came at you swinging. I am sure you'll get the pieces back together soon vod. I am glad to see you back.

As for the helmet, my immediate reaction to your seeing it was exactly this:
"Oh my gaaaaaawwwwd I love it!!!" *insert happy annoying squealing noises.

Seriously, your helmet looks spectacular! Time and patience my friend, I totally understand. It paid off, this is amazing!

« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Note to anyone doing this solo the first time. Cut then paint, cut the face hole then paint, dont paint anything before cutting the face hole, paint the lid after cutting the face hole.

That said, I've just cut the face after having masked the whole lid!

The weather is non-compliant in the north right now (distinctly flipping wet) so heres the snaps! Plus an extra one where I'm doing my best dwarf impression.

And finally, Dwarf!

I'll be remasking the silver, but I'm not sure if I want to grey prime and then white, or just go straight up to white. I will be doing a few small toothpaste masks in addition to what's already there.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #32 on: Oct 10, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Just as a warning, I highly recommend switching from Photobucket to imgur or Flikr (I personally prefer imgur). Photobucket gets problematic when you get more pictures on it.

Also. Great progress. You're making me want to work on my dazzle camo kit :P

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Fair enough! I've switched over to Imgur and I'll see how stable/workable it is for me. Is there a short code to post an image rather than an external link? Just thinking for eyes on and opinions, people tend not to follow multiple external links.

I've taken a gander at your Privateer WIP, I say you need to get to it and push for the dazzle club (theres a club right?)  :P

---

I've decided to go for the grey prime between the black and white to help with colour coverage. I'm just hoping it plays out right!

Also the light was playing just right!

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2019, 04:54 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #34 on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Fair enough! I've switched over to Imgur and I'll see how stable/workable it is for me. Is there a short code to post an image rather than an external link? Just thinking for eyes on and opinions, people tend not to follow multiple external links.

I've taken a gander at your Privateer WIP, I say you need to get to it and push for the dazzle club (theres a club right?)  :P

---

I've decided to go for the grey prime between the black and white to help with colour coverage. I'm just hoping it plays out right!

Also the light was playing just right!

http://imgur.com/gallery/TDCsIYs

If you add "" after, it will post as a picture here rather then making people follow a link

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #35 on: Oct 12, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Just double quotation marks after the https?

Dazzling! https://imgur.com/gallery/CVnc7kN""

So! The tape came off, and it's pretty damn clean. The white matte rustoleum can be used along with duck tape to repair battle tanks! Having had to take a scouring pad to the toothpaste sections to lift it attests to how much of a pain it may be to scratch and weather the lid, but there we go.

I dont think its had quite the desired effect, as it's not really distracting from the lines of the helmet. It is going to be more difficult to track when moving quickly I think, but that'll have to wait until I get everything done and do some kind of urban parkour set.

---

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2019, 03:09 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
« Reply #36 on: Oct 12, 2019, 11:10 PM »
It definitely makes my eyes try to go cross-eyed

J'Khara Vontess

« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:26 AM »
That looks fantastic and your lines are so clean and straight! Also, yes I too am ready for a dazzle club   :D

« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Thank you both!

A very brief update, good weather and some time to myself in my greeblies box got me off my sheb and get the gauntlets base painted.

The above will have LED's (on order) in most of the holes, and a stub antenna toward the elbow end which will link to the same on my helmet ear cap.

Sadly the seam is quite prominent despite my best efforts to get rid of it. I'll add some windscreenwiper E-11/ Luke's lightsabre style radiator fins to hide that and enhance the effect.

Now to let it settle for 18hrs or so...

---

Edit: Photobucket now blurs photos based on bandwidth or some rubbish? It hosts for free, but will blur&watermark any images hosted beyond 25mb unless you pay $5.99 a month.

---

Query: If I was to make a "Cuy'val Dar" referance on my armour, other than dating my OM, would I be treading on toes?

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2019, 02:51 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2019, 11:17 PM »
That masking job on the helmet is INSANE!!
 :like: :sabine: :like:

I like the idea of using the T-tracks to hide the seam.

I'm honestly not sure about the Cuy'val Dar; are you thinking sigil or just a bit of Mando'a on the kit?  And, BTW, my character is also Cuy'val Dar.  He just doesn't advertise it.  ;)

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #40 on: Oct 15, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Thanks Straka Zulu!

I'm thinking a Sigil on his backplate. I'm trying to find a UK or nearby EU reputable source for a Phase 2 Clone Trooper backplate.

I'll be modifying it to power the Wester gauntlet, and possibly link to a belt mounted radio (Clansman shell).

All in it'll place him and his gear at a specific time, and would fit stylistically.

----

Posting snaps of my right gauntlet taped up. Although for some reason Imgur is trying to make it hidden so...

---
Edit, second gauntlet almost masked. Practicing a technique for the breast/back plate.

---
Edit, I've been working on the Comm Earcap instead of the tape tonight.

I'm still planning on using the stub antenna on the earpiece, and need a platform to mount them on.

The earcap is going to be extended sideways by about the same thickness, by using a spraycan cap. I'll be filling it with body filler, and then cutting a section out and sanding it smooth. That'll give me a short flat platform that can hide appropriate unseen tech.

The pencil lines show where I'll be cutting the rangefinder stem to create a HF style antenna blade (you might know such as the fins on the top of your car).

I'll also be considering adding a pair of blinking LED's on the top, the wires running down the ridge, and the batteries hidden in the earcap proper.

---
Edit, Line drawing.

As noted in my last edit, I'll be cutting down to one of two lines. I'll be following the horizontal line, but I've got a bit of a puzzler. The blue line preserves more of the extra material and the shape, but will bunch the antenna. The black line will lose alot of the puck, however it will allow me more space for the antenna (realism being a thing).

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2019, 02:32 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

« Reply #41 on: Oct 18, 2019, 03:34 PM »
I appreciate I may get a knuckle rap for this, but it's a distinct step from my last post a few days back. It will contain both gauntlets when the other has had the tape/toothpaste removed.

Below are snaps of my gauntlets. I think the paint scheme has succeeded. I'd appreciate opinions on whether I should stop at this pont and roll back. These gauntlets were 3d printed, and I dont want to star wiring/weathering if I'm going to have to redo.

---

Right Gaunt, Comms.

---

Left Gaunt, Weapon Platform.

--
¡Edit, just had a minor fan moment as the Mandalorian Instagram Account liked one of my posts. Sweet!!!

---

Quick snaps all in so far. Baggy Mando is baggy, but other than the knees isnt loose. Collar is an issue ( I need a way to secure it so its comfortable). I'm thinking two elastic straps behind each knee should keep it together neatly. I also need to make extensions to the sleeves

An alternative is an in-universe clone style bodyglove.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2019, 02:45 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

J'Khara Vontess

« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2019, 12:09 AM »
Yes! This looks great! Also, the answer is no, definitely do not stop keep going with the pattern you're killing it! As for the antenna, I usually recommend erring on the side that gives you more space for what you need.

Side note, please PM me your Instagram account, I'd love to follow  :D

« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2019, 05:04 AM »
PM inbound!

Thanks for the vote of confidence,
! I'm at a stall point when it comes to armour at the moment (rapidly rebuilding my 2012 Judge build for MCM London on Friday), as I need to decide how I'm doing the knees/shnees, wait on the backplate (and my latest crazy idea), and getting the chest armour cut from aluminium.

---

So on the side last night I threw together this from some bits and things I had around the place (a cr*p-tastic bb gun), a section of pipe, some couplers, and a healthy amount of glue...

...and came up with a heavy barrel modified A280. Cassian Andor had one (a CFE variant) which could be built up from a pistol into various configurations, and they featured as full rifles during the attack on Hoth. This is a pure hush-puppy blaster pistol.

Here's the base A280-CFE pistol :

I'll be working on this next week, adding a few small tweaks, but the original was pretty much an AR15 receiver and a few greeblies so...

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2019, 07:02 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Omega

• Thread Killer
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:12 AM »
That is some killer paint. But I'm afraid that chest armor mock up looks rather small.

Killing threads since 2013
« Reply #45 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:49 AM »
That is some killer paint. But I'm afraid that chest armor mock up looks rather small.

I've not changed the template since it's last adjustment on about the middle of page 2, when it went from the hollow cut to the drawn out trauma plates.

Size wise where would you have stopped the trimming? Could you point at a post for me?

---

Edit to add :

The red lines are the edge of the flak vest, the blue is my waist /hip line, the yellow lines are where I'm guessing you're thinking I should be?

The edges at the moment are a little raised, especially when viewed from any angle not flat to the front.

---

Edit to add.

Compared to your thread, and post on May 24th (page 4 mid), I think I have the same coverage on the chest plates.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=49376.45

---

Edit to add.

I got bored at work, did a thing. This is a crazy possibility for a backplate.

---

Edit- 25 Oct
Had an awesome day at MCM London today, back at a mates place tonight. Idly looking through ebay I found this particularly nice piece of material. If my Ghillie Kama/Cloak doesn't play out, I might have to buy this instead...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323651719027

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2019, 08:08 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

J'Khara Vontess

« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2019, 10:42 PM »
I think your plates are properly sized, most folks actually make them too big, so we are used to seeing larger (mine are actually a bit big for my size I just made it work). Especially with the trauma layers, it will look good.

That backplate is going to be amazing!! I can't wait to see this happen!

« Reply #47 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:36 AM »
I think your plates are properly sized, most folks actually make them too big, so we are used to seeing larger (mine are actually a bit big for my size I just made it work). Especially with the trauma layers, it will look good.

That backplate is going to be amazing!! I can't wait to see this happen!

Thank you! I've got the chest base plate marked out on 6mm HDPE that I have left over from other projects so that will be my initial build material (I don't have the cash for a sheet of Aluminium or Steel right now).

I keep getting home at antisocial times for cutting however, and my dogs are a bit threaders with me making strange noises/smells in the garage!

So I've ended up browsing the Internet with other idle thoughts.

---

---

If my concept for a Ghillie Cape and Kama doesn't pan out as intended aesthetically or doesn't get authorised by the MMCC Approval Team, I'm considering other options.

Boba Fett had a half Cape that was actually an old shelter half which not only gave him a certain style but also gave him an in-universe shelter against bad weather.

My Ghillie is more for disruptive purposes, but the cape would be for the same purpose as Boba.

So the above 3 styles are currently up as my most preferred. I favour the Top and Middle, but I do like other folks opinions.

---

Current progress isn't worth a new post, but my radio is now painted up.

Weathering beyond chipping will be done at the same time as the armour. I'm waiting for the 7 pin connectors to be less than £20 a time so I can plug it into the back plate.

I need to do some research on the false shapes I can infer after seeing how much is implied by this unintentional wavy section :

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 11:51 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

J'Khara Vontess

« Reply #48 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:51 AM »
I am bias toward the top pattern  :D

Turning out so good! I don't think I have seen a radio before, but doesn't mean you couldn't be the first. I will ask around the app team to see what they think.

« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:14 PM »
***---Post edited to avoid double posting---***

*notes the 30 day warning*

Soooooo... Its been a while since my last post. The real world has gotten somewhat in the way what with trying to find work, move out of where i was living, and other issues, meaning costume building hasn't been anywhere near the top 10 things on my mind.

Last night however I managed to kick off a change.

Linked below should be a few snaps of what I've got going again. Pre/Post first cut, and a trim to the Master Template.

Old back plate from previous attempt.

Visible here is the (now some 3 year old) backing points for this as a first attempt.

The Iconic Plates cut from the Master Template. This could reasonably be the top layer, or the smaller plates drawn in red could be cut and layered on top. I activly want input on people thoughts on this one, Ruus'alor, Merc, or aspirant!

Interesting that the previous attempts still look good, even if they dont reach the full length or width that the Master template would have them do... The Ab plate hasnt yet been templated for this version, and this is literally just a one over the other of first cut and old ab plate, meaning with a slight trim to the back plate I might not have to even go through that.

***---Second entry---***
Taken quite close as black on black is an pain in the proverbial.

Mirror photo, showing overall height and placement. With this angle cut in from the sides, I can actually get into the prone position and still manouever.

At the top, showing 8mm gap on the corners, the rear edge of the collar plate is aboout 15mm from the shoulder seam.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2020, 02:26 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!