Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Third times the charm WIP (Pic Heavy)

• 55 Replies
Re: Third times the charm WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #45 on: Oct 23, 2019, 09:49 AM »
That is some killer paint. But I'm afraid that chest armor mock up looks rather small.

I've not changed the template since it's last adjustment on about the middle of page 2, when it went from the hollow cut to the drawn out trauma plates.

Size wise where would you have stopped the trimming? Could you point at a post for me?

---

Edit to add :

The red lines are the edge of the flak vest, the blue is my waist /hip line, the yellow lines are where I'm guessing you're thinking I should be?

The edges at the moment are a little raised, especially when viewed from any angle not flat to the front.

---

Edit to add.

Compared to your thread, and post on May 24th (page 4 mid), I think I have the same coverage on the chest plates.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=49376.45

---

Edit to add.

I got bored at work, did a thing. This is a crazy possibility for a backplate.

---

Edit- 25 Oct
Had an awesome day at MCM London today, back at a mates place tonight. Idly looking through ebay I found this particularly nice piece of material. If my Ghillie Kama/Cloak doesn't play out, I might have to buy this instead...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323651719027

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2019, 08:08 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged
Brute Force and Ignorance are capable of changing the universe.

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

Brute Force allows you to break the rules that others can merely bend.

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2019, 10:42 PM »
I think your plates are properly sized, most folks actually make them too big, so we are used to seeing larger (mine are actually a bit big for my size I just made it work). Especially with the trauma layers, it will look good.

That backplate is going to be amazing!! I can't wait to see this happen!

« Reply #47 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:36 AM »
I think your plates are properly sized, most folks actually make them too big, so we are used to seeing larger (mine are actually a bit big for my size I just made it work). Especially with the trauma layers, it will look good.

That backplate is going to be amazing!! I can't wait to see this happen!

Thank you! I've got the chest base plate marked out on 6mm HDPE that I have left over from other projects so that will be my initial build material (I don't have the cash for a sheet of Aluminium or Steel right now).

I keep getting home at antisocial times for cutting however, and my dogs are a bit threaders with me making strange noises/smells in the garage!

So I've ended up browsing the Internet with other idle thoughts.

---

---

If my concept for a Ghillie Cape and Kama doesn't pan out as intended aesthetically or doesn't get authorised by the MMCC Approval Team, I'm considering other options.

Boba Fett had a half Cape that was actually an old shelter half which not only gave him a certain style but also gave him an in-universe shelter against bad weather.

My Ghillie is more for disruptive purposes, but the cape would be for the same purpose as Boba.

So the above 3 styles are currently up as my most preferred. I favour the Top and Middle, but I do like other folks opinions.

---

Current progress isn't worth a new post, but my radio is now painted up.

Weathering beyond chipping will be done at the same time as the armour. I'm waiting for the 7 pin connectors to be less than 20 a time so I can plug it into the back plate.

I need to do some research on the false shapes I can infer after seeing how much is implied by this unintentional wavy section :

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 11:51 AM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

Ignorance of those who have gone before, means you do not know what is impossible.

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #48 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:51 AM »
I am bias toward the top pattern  :D

Turning out so good! I don't think I have seen a radio before, but doesn't mean you couldn't be the first. I will ask around the app team to see what they think.

« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:14 PM »
***---Post edited to avoid double posting---***

*notes the 30 day warning*

Soooooo... Its been a while since my last post. The real world has gotten somewhat in the way what with trying to find work, move out of where i was living, and other issues, meaning costume building hasn't been anywhere near the top 10 things on my mind.

Last night however I managed to kick off a change.

Linked below should be a few snaps of what I've got going again. Pre/Post first cut, and a trim to the Master Template.

Old back plate from previous attempt.

Visible here is the (now some 3 year old) backing points for this as a first attempt.

The Iconic Plates cut from the Master Template. This could reasonably be the top layer, or the smaller plates drawn in red could be cut and layered on top. I activly want input on people thoughts on this one, Ruus'alor, Merc, or aspirant!

Interesting that the previous attempts still look good, even if they dont reach the full length or width that the Master template would have them do... The Ab plate hasnt yet been templated for this version, and this is literally just a one over the other of first cut and old ab plate, meaning with a slight trim to the back plate I might not have to even go through that.

***---Second entry---***
Taken quite close as black on black is an pain in the proverbial.

Mirror photo, showing overall height and placement. With this angle cut in from the sides, I can actually get into the prone position and still manouever.

At the top, showing 8mm gap on the corners, the rear edge of the collar plate is aboout 15mm from the shoulder seam.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2020, 02:26 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

« Reply #50 on: Jan 23, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Todays best effort, two trauma plates. Chest Diamond soon.

The Plates will be scarred with a dremel, drill, and other things. The main plate will be damaged but mostly paint chips, the trauma plates however i want to be fairly damaged. Likely going to get the chest diamond cut tonight.

I'm also considering adding a deflector plate to the collar plate, something to deflect small particulates or fragmentation.

« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:45 PM »
A quick update here, sorta mirroring what I've just done down in the Vok'Chi section. I appreciate eyes and opinions in all things.

Test fitted everything the othernight at a higher position which has generated good feedback, so it's staying there. This is mainly to show that yes, I've cut the chest diamond ;) This was prior to cold hand forming and scarring the Chest Main Plate. HDPE is highly elastic, and resists forming when cold. I'll need to use a medium to high heat to force the material property change. This is a known factor. The undersuit here is likely to be my chosen one, and is of a Clone Wars Trooper style. Then again, I've changed my mind on the flightsuit about half a dozen times already so...

Plate fitting and weathring is coming along nicely. Next stage after this will be cutting the Ab Truama Plate, and the weathering between the two. I've pushed red chalkpaint into the cuts to highlight them but I'll be scrubbing it out before painting. Theory for this set of damage is crawling belly down over rubble, FISH style.

Throat Deflector concepted and added temporarally, as no-one likes shorts that richochet up under their lid off their plates! This will be Epoxied in place and modeled in place with Milliput to blend it together.

All in, theres a good range of movement here, I'm happy with this.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:17 PM »
I dig it, overall. Trauma plates aren't my favorite thing, but I've had to acknowledge their prevalence since my return to the club and I actually really like the way you're going about them. I like the deflector on the neck plate, and I think that CT undersuit will work just fine. Only critiques I have are that the trauma plates look like they're lifting in a couple spots, particularly on the right (picture left) chest, the top of the diamond cutout and the lower outside corner, right where it angles back in before going down into the ab plate frame. Additionally, the diamond is a very little bit too long; it shouldn't extend up and down between the 'teeth' of the diamond cutouts. Probably needs like literally a millimeter off of the top and bottom, maybe 1.5 mm. I'd start with shortening it overall by just 1mm and going from there until the spacing is right.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Thank you Slade, I appreciate that trauma plates are a very specific niche and aesthetic. I do plan a Legacy build, but Bob's and Jango 's floating plates just offend me! I appreciate they wear the classic style, the lack of cohesive defence makes me itch.

All the plates have been cold formed, basically bent into shape, the main problem with HDPE is that it's a thermoset plastic. The current curve is there because I've bent it so many times, but in reality it need heating with a hot air gun to get it to where it needs to be. Once it's there, it won't shift easily. I fully agree that there are areas that're lifting as a result.

I will be shaping the main plates and letting them form, then I'll double wrap them in foil and heat the Trauma Plates over them. The foil should stop the main plates from warping, and allow a good contouring form of the trauma plates.

I follow you on the diamond, when I next get paid I'll be making some sanding boards up and I'll trim it then.

---

In the mean time I've used my last scrap of hdpe to make the ab trauma plate. This one is heavily scarred, mainly because being on your belt buckle on rocks sucks.

---Edited for my AMAZING spelling---

No flash image

With flash image

This was my most sizable scrap of hdpe that I've brought in to use as an ab trauma plate.

All my plates need proper forming yet. This is just to help line things up and to help with creating the story of how the damage occurred.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2020, 01:33 PM by Jhonus6598 » Logged

« Reply #54 on: Feb 19, 2020, 01:54 PM »
A small update. I've drilled one of the ear caps, not sure where the other is right now! I decided to slip a Nato rail on it, and threw a PEQ box on just for personal amusment.

Whadayaknow, it looks reasonable. Probably not fully acceptable for passing the CRL standard, but I can't see why it wouldnt other than "Not Swarzy enough".

I also have to hand an alternate laser for the ear rather than a full PEQ.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #55 on: Feb 22, 2020, 11:42 AM »
The ab trauma plate looks good! I feel like it could benefit from a pair of small trauma plates on the side wings of the ab, though, similarly proportioned and spaced from the center trauma plate like normal plate spacing :D.

Digging the helmet, and yeah, that laser/light mount could actually be easily approvable with some greebles to Swarz it up. Does it weigh much? One thing to always keep in mind is sometimes we have our kits on for extended periods of time, so weight and comfort are always a factor. The little one would be great for longer events or like parades, but I think the full size one has a lot of potential.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!