Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dusters in 2019? (Modern era)

• 25 Replies

bluecwsoldier3

• Call me Chellhis, or Blue
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Force Hunter Brigade Member
Re: Dusters in 2019? (Modern era)
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2019, 01:10 PM »
So if you are mounting plates to your duster, you are using it as a vest. If you are using it as a vest, it cannot extend below your waist items. It must also be under the rest of your plates. This directly from the CRLs.

So I agree with you on the statement of following the chain of command, especially as the organization continues to grow, but I think this type of discussion of the CRLs is positive in growing our knowledge and increasing the quality of our kits.

The one issue I see is that, like OriKad, I see by this reasoning my bicep plates, which while required by my brigades, were original to my kit, are not allowed to be mounted to my flightsuit. Unless I am missing something, which I may well be.

My thought on this is that while I understand that dusters are environmental protection vs armor, there are universe references where they are both. I also realize something like that distinction could be a difficult one to enforce, I just see them as an opportunity to possibly augment armor, such as in the case of a pauldron for instance. Like I said I am looking into sewing a duster for my kit to reduce the amount of armor I have to wear if I don't have the time or desire to throw on my full brigade kit for a given troop.

Vastoom

• How can I help you today?
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Force Hunter Brigade Member Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2019, 09:25 PM »
"The one issue I see is that, like OriKad, I see by this reasoning my bicep plates, which while required by my brigades, were original to my kit, are not allowed to be mounted to my flightsuit. Unless I am missing something, which I may well be."
  Only your torso armor (collar, chest, ab, shoulder bells and back plate) is required to be mounted to a flak vest. Bicep plates are arm armor specifically ment to go on your biceps.

bluecwsoldier3

• Call me Chellhis, or Blue
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Gotcha. Makes sense.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2019, 10:44 AM »
As the Ruus'sol for North Eastern US, I figured I should weigh in here. First, This is not the place for this. We have a chain of command for a reason. Obey was directed in his fix list email to consult with his RS. If his RS wasn't sure how to handle it, they should have gone to me.
Per the CRLs
So if you are mounting plates to your duster, you are using it as a vest. If you are using it as a vest, it cannot extend below your waist items. It must also be under the rest of your plates. This directly from the CRLs.

In the future when you have issues like this, please consult with your RS with CRL questions. They are here to help you, but cannot do so unless you let them.

Malakier Vhett, no disrespect intended.

Seriously.

The problem I have, and that others who want dusters have, is the complete and lack of clarification to the general masses as to how to get a duster approved.

Your clarifications might seem to make sense to you, but to us on the outside, they are not crystal clear, not in the CLRs, and still not entirely here.

Would it be at all possible to make a clearly defined post, from the app team -- that is publicly available to all -- that can explain to us n00bs how we can get a duster approved?

Sort of a do this, not that thing?

MMCC #2223

Vastoom

• How can I help you today?
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Force Hunter Brigade Member Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Foe you right now the answer is simple no sleeves no armor, do this and you will get approved.  As for the other part of your question it can be put to the CRL team to see about writing a duster CRL.
However this is why we are always trying to get people to keep an up to date WIP threads so that your RS and RR can help with these questions before you build.  Before anyone jumps on me about not everyone knowing all the various rules we are working on correcting that. Rus'alor at all levels will be getting trained.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2019, 02:17 PM »
For you right now the answer is simple no sleeves no armor, do this and you will get approved.

Thank you, Vastoom!! That is fantastic, and gives me something to work from. 

Q1: Is this where I need to cut to make to my duster approveable?

If so, we can cut that and clean up the edges in short order. I just don't want to cut it until I am absolutely certain

Q2: No armor -- does that mean that I am not allowed to use the segmented armor in any way? Can I modify it in such a way that it is a pauldron/mantlet, or find a way to keep it in some way, yet remain approveable?

Here was my original sketch, it was posted in the first post of my WIP over a year ago. I was never told until recently that I was not allowed armor outside the duster.

Please see my WIP page here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=151093.0

Here is how it currently looks:

Thank you!

MMCC #2223

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2019, 08:45 PM »
With your shoulder bells, my recommendation would be to, yes, ditch the duster sleeves altogether.  You can have (very) short sleeves that allow the shoulder bells to be visible beyond the sleeves.  I just - personally - think that with that shoulder design, sleeveless is the best way for you to go.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 21
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2019, 05:26 PM »
With your shoulder bells, my recommendation would be to, yes, ditch the duster sleeves altogether.  You can have (very) short sleeves that allow the shoulder bells to be visible beyond the sleeves.  I just - personally - think that with that shoulder design, sleeveless is the best way for you to go.

Thank you, good sir, for the confirmation! I'll hand that to the wife with a set of fabric scissors.  :)

I would like to do future upgrades to the shoulders, such as adding layers (possible trauma plates to it, as seen in the concept art), and making the right shoulder articulated as well. Is that approveable with it attaching to the flightsuit since I have a sleeveless/shoulderless vest?

Many thanks!

MMCC #2223

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2019, 05:36 PM »
I don't see an issue with that.  Just keep in touch with your Ruus'alor.  They can approve shoulder (and other) upgrades as you go.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 21

Nix Vuur

• MMCC 1804
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2019, 09:10 AM »
Hi, Obey! Your Ruus'alor Nix here ;D Some sound advice has been given regarding dusters, but if you have any further questions I'm at your service  ;D

« Reply #25 on: Apr 11, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Thanks, all!

I hope this also helps others who are considering doing dusters.

Go with a sleeveless duster, and attach shoulder armor to the upper deltoid sleeves of the jumpsuit and/or vest shoulder cap.

It appears that had I sewn cap shoulders on the vest, it would have made some of this easier. Also good food for thought.

When I have time later, I will try to create a generic picture of a full duster showing modifications.

Many thanks, all!

MMCC #2223

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!