Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Legacy WIP

• 7 Replies
Legacy WIP
« on: Jul 29, 2019, 12:28 PM »
I've attempted making a kit several times before. Hopefully this time it will stick. Obviously, it's going to be a legacy kit. Last time I used some of the templates on the forums, but they were too big and I had to modify them to make them smaller. That, combined with the fact that at the moment, my skills are not up to making the V-shape, means that I am going to go with a combination of the existing templates, and my own patterns.

Here is the rough torso sketch.

Here are my colors.

I plan on making this a metal kit, as I have more experience working with metal than I do sintra. That and I just like metal better.

The helmet has always been the part that is the most intimidating to me. I want a metal one, but it is far beyond my ability at the moment. I've got a Rubies Boba that I'm going to try to make approvable.

I absolutely hate sewing, so I'm most likely going to buy all my soft parts from merchants on the forums. It'll be expensive, but it's worth it to me.

I foresee several problems for myself based on past experiences:
I get really excited about something, and then burn out on it and lose interest quickly.
I try to make too many things all at once, and end up finishing none of them.

I think that's all I've got to say at the moment. I'm going to start drafting patterns tonight, and hopefully will have them posted tonight or tomorrow for feedback.

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Legacy WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2019, 12:34 PM »
Your plan for the armor looks solid.  I got rid of the V on my legacy kit when I did my rebuild cause I'M not tapered, and tapering the plates looked odd on me.

If you want a metal helmet, Dresdin is the gold standard.  One of my clan mates just took delivery :)   

For the rubies, go over to the War College Tutorials subforum and there are some conversion guides there.

RE: progress stoppage and burnout -- when I get bogged down and stop progressing, I've found this to be really helpful:
Do one tiny thing, every day, even if it's only 10 minutes adding some weathering to something.  Sooner or later one of those 10 minute sessions turns into something longer and you're re-energized for the project.  "How do you eat an elephant? ---->  One bite at a time."

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Sep

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2019, 09:29 PM »
I got rid of the V on my legacy kit when I did my rebuild cause I'M not tapered, and tapering the plates looked odd on me.

I'll have to go look through your thread again. I spent the last few days looking through a bunch of them, including yours, just to kind of get an idea for how the armor fit various people, but know that I know this, I'll have to look for it specifically.

For the rubies, go over to the War College Tutorials subforum and there are some conversion guides there.

I briefly looked through the tutorial that was there. I also know someone in Wampa clan who has a Rubies that he is working on. I'm going to see him next weekend, and he's going to bring his so I can look at what he has done so far and compare that and an out of the box one side-by-side.

RE: progress stoppage and burnout -- when I get bogged down and stop progressing, I've found this to be really helpful:
Do one tiny thing, every day, even if it's only 10 minutes adding some weathering to something.  Sooner or later one of those 10 minute sessions turns into something longer and you're re-energized for the project.  "How do you eat an elephant? ---->  One bite at a time."

This is extremely helpful advice. I always feel like if I don't have time to sit and work on it for a few hours, then there is no point. But I can easily find something to do for 10 minutes a day.

So here is what I have done today. I printed the Ohl'd Vart templates that I want to use for the toso, and then modified them slightly to better fit the lines of my lames.  I know they're too big because I printed them full size, and they were to big last time. But I wanted to see how they fit so I know where to take material off. I'm certainly going to change the curve around the armpits, and probably take a bit out of the middle to bring them in slightly. I do also want a slightly larger chest diamond, but I just cut the lines that were there.

I still need to actually design and cut the lames, but that shouldn't be too difficult a project. I wanted to start getting these sized so that I can draw the lames to a finished size, rather than having to adjust everything.

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Ok, so here's the big test with the paper templates.  Can you reach your arms straight out in front of you without bending the paper? If not, they're too wide :)  Good work getting something done today!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2019, 09:07 AM »
They were too wide. I found the plates I cut from my last attempt, and they have a slightly different arc near the armpit, and are about 3/4" inch shorter per plate. I'm going to try to cut that and see how it looks.

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2019, 11:35 AM »
That's exactly where I had to do the most trimming :)

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2019, 12:08 PM »
I haven't had a chance to get a picture of the trimmed templates on myself yet, but here is a picture on the dummy. I think it looks much better.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2019, 11:01 PM »
Following from your post on the stronghold page. Glad to see a bit of progress!

Helmet Scratch Build¦¦Beskar'gam¦¦Privateer Brigade WIP

MMCC #1484¦¦31 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.O.M.B. #16 ¦¦ M.T.S. #61 ¦¦ V.O.T.S. #34  ¦¦ B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦¦ M.A.R.S. #21

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!