Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Been a while. . .

• 12 Replies
Been a while. . .
« on: Apr 28, 2019, 04:39 AM »
So it's been a good while since I've been on here and I never did have anything beyond a forum acct. so I figured I would re-introduce myself and give some info on what I'm hoping to be able to (eventually) accomplish harness-wise.

So, I'm from TX, but not currently there.  No actual ETA for a return either, at the moment (sadness).

However, when/if I ever DO find myself back in that wonderful land I do plan to build a proper harness, and I figured I would give some idea of what I intend for that.

a few years ago I sewed some Jedi robes (before TFA) and it has been my ambition since then to complete my Jedi with a Togorian headpiece, hands, and feet.

But seriously, why make Togorian parts if I only use them with one kit?  So I am thinking of smithing some proper Mando armor for it, too.

SO, I will have a helmet that fits over a mask.  Yeah, I know: HOT!

So here's my actual concept.
I would like to do a Togorian Pilot using Legacy style plates.

This leads to a few questions.
First off, is it acceptable to do a Mando Pilot with legacy style chest plates?
How would I handle gloves and boots with alien hands and, more importantly, digitigrade feet?  Would I need to craft custom "boots" (I have some leatherworking xp)
Also, would this be acceptable for a Pilot helmet (my own design)
https://i.imgur.com/r02TYbR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MF1dpZw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EhWaDuy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n02F73V.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4DVR8RP.jpg

I patterned and designed the helmet using a Roman legionnaire and Ursa Wren's helms as inspiration, btw.

With kind regards. . . . .
K

No cheers, no warcry.
The best way to take out a mark is to not let it know you're coming!
Long-Process Concept WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=169143.0

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Been a while. . .
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2019, 08:29 AM »
To answer your armor question,  yes, you can have a Legacy style pilot.  You just need the chest box and hoses that would connect to a helmet with either the TIE or Rebel style crest (look for Lonewolf Customs on Facebook), or the extra panel over the brow/forehead area, like in Star Wars Rebels.

You can see examples of helmets HERE, and in our Helmets page, where you can browse through other people's builds.

You might even want to start a build thread in there of your own, just to get more focused advice.

Good luck,  and good hunting!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply on the legacy pilot.  Were you able to look at the helmet design pics I posted?  The helm does have a crest, similar I believe to Rau's, and I was wondering if it was sufficient or if it would need to be more pronounced.

No cheers, no warcry.
Long-Process Concept WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=169143.0

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Most of the helmets I've seen have an extra panel, what would be called a "trauma plate".
Demon Dog Studios has a good example of what I mean as an add-on for their helmets.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2019, 07:30 PM »
I am aware that, as you have pointed out, pilot helms generally have a reinforced brow.  What I'm asking is if MY helmet design's brow is sufficient, or if it would need additional reinforcement.

For reference, here is Fenn Rau

and here is a Roman Helm

You can see that BOTH of them have reinforced brows.

So then, here is my helmet design

IT can be seen, especially in the side view, that it also has a brow reinforcement of the main dome.  However, would it be sufficient being the same thickness as the entire faceplate (which I plan to have be thicker than the rest of the helm, if possible), or would I need an additional thickness and reinforcement over JUST the brow?

Or would I need additional reinforcement beyond it?

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2019, 02:06 AM by Mayg Miit'ganard » Logged
No cheers, no warcry.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Found and read through an interesting thread by someone else doing a Togorian Mando.  It was enlightening.  I'm definitely NOT going to be going the same exact route as she.

I'm planning on doing a much more snub-nosed snout.  Somewhat in line with H'sisshi.

However, since I'm a guy, I'm going to make the face a bit more "masculine" by making it longer (but not much, I still want it to fit with a standard T-visor)

I also saw comments from APP team members relating to the use of fur as a flight suit.  I had not known that was an option.  However, since much, if not most, of the pictorial reference to Togorians in Star Wars has them clothed, and since I don't really want to do a full bodysuit, I'm NOT going that route.  On the other hand, does that mean I would not need boots/gloves?  It would be wonderful if I did not.  Also, could I get away with a modified flight suit?  e.g. short-sleeved or sleeveless, or with shortened/tapered legs?  Be wonderful is some APP team members could weigh in there.

On armor, I was thinking of doing shin-knee combo plates, with a foot covering similar to this

Note: this is for reference to the spats (in the above leg) ONLY.

Posting some armor concepts on my torso/arms will have to wait a few days until I can take a scan of my sketches again.

I was also planning on having a semi-rigid loincloth and maybe a kama, and a cape in addition to a backplate.

WEAPONS!

I like history.

So when I saw THIS in SWTOR I was ecstatic!

I'm also planning to do something SIMILAR with my own build.  Specifically, I would like to do a matched set of "flintlock" blasters.  Basically using the stock/grip from a flintlock horse-pistol, removing the ENTIRE firing mechanism, and replacing it with a scope and clip.  I was kinda thinking of doing a diagonal loading clip instead of this straight up/down one though, but that might change.  tbh, this one looks too much like an AR-15 clip to me, and so is the thing I'd like to change.

UPDATE:
Did some playing around on mandomaker, to look at color schemes.  These do not represent the finished colors, because I do plan on adding some patterning to it so the plates aren't just boring ol' solid colors, (specifically I would like to have a stylized krayt dragon starting on my ab plates and wrapping around my left side, climbing my back, and over my right shoulder with its head resting on my right chest.

Also of note is that while I do plan on having a cape, this was simply the closest to what I'm looking at.  I'm planning on a simple full circle cape, like a simple poncho, that is usually folded in half and hanging on the back.  It will be affixed to the backplate when not protecting me from rain/etc.  Not sure whether it will be green as shown or red.
and one last thing.  The gloves/boots are white because that is the color I'm planning on doing my fur in, and I'm assuming at this point that I won't have boots/gloves.

So, the pics!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:02 AM by Mayg Miit'ganard » Logged
No cheers, no warcry.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Wow, it's been quiet.

Sooo, I have been kicking something around in my skull, and I want to pass it by relevant individuals.

A single piece chest, rather than the split chest plates.

This was most prominently featured on Countess Ursa Wren's armor, but I did some gazing at background mandos, and found it on at LEAST 4 different individuals.  Two are certainly clan wren, one is certainly NOT, and the last I'm not sure.  could have been from any number of clans.

The two clan wren girls can be found in the CRL reference page, but here are pics anyway.

next to Ezra

flying

And her is one flying with Bo
https://i.imgur.com/ui7816f.jpg

Finally, a crowd.  If you look, you can actually see at least 5 here, I think from different clans altogether

So my question is could I do a similar style chest plate?  And/or is this limited to girls? 

No cheers, no warcry.

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 12:08 AM »
It would be interesting to see how that style of chest plate looks without a bunch of shaping behind it. The night owl buckets were for females in the show but they are allowed for both males and females here (I think). I would definitely wait for an app team member to answer before moving forward though.

Look forward to seeing your concept come to life.   :D

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 01:39 AM »
Thanks!

Though, to be fair there isn't a lot of OBVIOUS shape behind it on the girls  Also, I think the little rectangle kinda took the place of the chest diamond on this plate.

No cheers, no warcry.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 11:13 AM »
As a Nite Owl wearing male,  I can say that it's possible.  The helmets are pretty much unisex. 

As for the chest plates, talk with your Ruus'alor. They should be able to give you the "Yay or Nay" on using them.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, unless there is an English-speaking Ruus in north-eastern China, I don't have access to one.

I'm planning my build now, and will start construction when I get back to Texas but don't know when that would be.  Until then I am physically unavailable.

Do you know if I would be able to talk to one via PM, or would it need to be IRL?

No cheers, no warcry.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 10:20 AM »
So I did some sketching on vacation over the last week, and now that I'm home and have my scanner again I can actually upload my armor/soft parts concepts.
I would appreciate any input from App team or Ruus', as again, I am currently living in China and don't have physical access to said.

So I figured I would start with the soft parts. . .

My vest/loincloth/kama ARE connected in my concept, but that is hidden under the sash.  If that would be an issue anyway, I can separate them.  However, I am aesthetically disturbed by the idea of them being different materials, so they WILL be the same material regardless.
I have read that wookies and other fur-covered alien races do not have to have a flightsuit.  However, as a.) most pictorial reference of Togorians show them clothed, and b.) I REALLY don't wanna do a full fursuit!, I was hoping to do a modified flightsuit instead.  To that end, I was hoping to do a SLEEVELESS flightsuit that went from the shoulders down to the digitigrade ankles.  This idea can be modified if necessary, but I did hope that I could still get away with not having GLOVES over GLOVES (because the furred hands WILL be actual furred gloves, in effect).
I am unsure whether to do a basic belt or an ammo/cartridge belt.  Inclined toward ammo/cartridge.
The cape will be a full circle, but will hang somewhat oddly, and I'm not sure how to explain it.  Basically one half of it will just HANG while the other half will have a line strung under my backplate from left shoulder to right armpit.  There be reasons for the odd slinging.

Next, my torso armor

This is modified legacy with a solid chest piece a la SW Rebels Countess Ursa et al.  As you can see it has a horizontal rather than vertical "diamond" in roughly the same place as the Rebels solid chest bar plate.
The shoulder bells will be affixed directly to the shoulder tabs of the vest, and the armor for the loin will also overlap (like the torso plates) and affix directly to the loincloth.

Back view and limbs

As you can see, the collar actually wraps OVER my shoulders and down my back, overlapping the top backplate.
The rest of the plates are layered as with the front

Regarding bracers, I haven't decided whether I want sleek or weaponized, but regardless I am planning to have them extend back beyond my elbows.
Similarly with the feet.  I will have combined knee/ankle plates.  However, I'm not sure wether to make the knee articulated or solid, considering the digi-style leg.
Also, due to the digi-style leg, I want something like a medieval sabaton over the upper foot.  This is not EXACTLY a sabaton, nor is it EXACTLY a standard foot plate.  rather, it's something in-between.

Finally, a look at how the armor and soft parts should layer on the torso.  Only thing I'm unsure of is whether the loin armor will be over or under the sash.  The sash WILL be under the torso armor.

Oh, one last thing.  I am modeling my Togorian roughly off of H'sisshi from the Thrawn comic, (so new canon) but with a slightly more protruded snout.  The flat faced snout just looked too feminine/human to me.  Though I am planning to give this guy long hair and a beard.

Anyway, that's the concept so far.  I wanna do some more work on how to make the pistols and holsters before I go into that.  And, as I said before, would REALLY appreciate input from any Ruus' or app members on what they think regarding the plates/flightsuit/vest.  And if any of the aforementioned are willing to work with me on building my concept long-distance, it would be appreciated as well.

EDIT:
Did some sketching and came up with a concept I like for the pistols.  I am planning to do a mirored set of these.  They will be havy blaster pistols, using an energy "cartridge" instead of an energy "clip".  Anyway, here is my inspiration.

From there I found a starting point I liked in this, a French-style flintlock.

Shortened it since it was just a SHADE long for my comfort (took off about 1.5 inches after I scaled up the picture to something I liked.

After that I sketched out my mods.

I started by looking at pics of various on-screen SW blaster PISTOLS and noting what elements they had.  I found

scopes were used 9 times
obvious clips/cartridges were used 5 times
heatsinks (or something like them) were used 4 times
barrel shrouds were used 7 times
flash suppressors/emitters were used 8 times
some sort of extra launcher was used 1 time.

I wanted to use any element that either looked COOL or had been used more than 5 times, but I had to modify it a bit.

When I drew a flash suppressor a la Han's DL-44, it made the flintlock look like a blunderbuss.  definitely NOT what I wanted, so I scrapped that one.
instead, I used a heatsink similar to what was on Han's, but incorporated it into the stock under the barrel.
I added a full-length barrel shroud,
a cartridge slot for a cylindrical cartridge over the trigger assembly.  My idea is for it to insert diagonally into the stock.
Then I added the scope.  My plan is to use a very simple (and CHEAP) actual scope.
Finally, I added a button for the cartidge eject (I'm gonna drill a small hole, put a spring in it like from a pen, and cap it (under the furniture plate), and a saftey switch on the reverse side of the firearm.  I MAY have the metal housing go all the way over the top of the pistol, not sure yet.
I also want to add some sort of dart launcher for those times when there are to be "NO disintigrations"

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:53 AM by Mayg Miit'ganard » Logged
No cheers, no warcry.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 09:25 AM »
So while the line art is pretty cool to me, I figured I would take a few minutes (literally, I really wasn't trying to be "neat") and fill in some color pics for everyone.  These are to show how the colors on the torso, helm, and weapon (kinda thinking of calling it an FL-50) would look.

These are the base colors ONLY, however, and do not reflect any accent patterning I put on it.  I actually want to have a stylized in-universe dragon (Krayt, Mythasaur, or Basiliskan) running across the plates and helm as a continuous image.  My plan is for it to have its head on my front right chest and then run over my shoulder, down my back, around my left side, and terminate with its tail running down the armored plates of the loincloth.  Oh, and I figure its claws would be on the right shoulder and and the back of the helmet.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:48 AM by Mayg Miit'ganard » Logged
No cheers, no warcry.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!