Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anja's WIP soft stuff

• 91 Replies
Anja's WIP soft stuff
« on: Sep 02, 2009, 07:20 PM »
I've been working on getting all my soft gear sorted while I decide what to use for my armor and prep my buy'ce. I've spent the last 4 days (many pricked fingers and a chipped tooth) hand sewing and dyeing my vest. I used  thick twill  and a vest pattern with some alterations. (EDIT: The vest pattern is Kwiksew 3128 Pattern B) I'm not sure if the shoulder tabs are too small.  Also started on some pouches and kama, and figuring out what to do for the belt/girth and holsters.
Here is what I have so far... Critiques and advice most welcome and appreciated.  :)

Old Concept (EDIT: New Concept Page 2)

Boots

Vest and Pants

Pants are dyed with iDye Silver Grey. For the vest I used iDye Turquoise.  
Vest  :P

Pouch

Thick grey leather
Gloves

Kama

under construction. I'm using a pair of leather pants opened on one seam with turquoise dyed twill for inside lining.

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Anja's WIP soft stuff
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Hand sewn, seriously?? That is extremely impressive (though as I've been sewing velcro for the past two weeks, I also feel bad for you :P ). :D This stuff looks great so far. Very clean and fitting.

~

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:06 PM »
As a fellow hand-sewer, I feel your pain :P. I ended up breaking down and buying a vest from another mercs member that makes them. My other stuff I did by hand, and it's not fun.

Good work so far ;D. The shoulder tabs do look a bit on the small side, but there should be more than enough space there to attach the shoulder bells, they'll just cover the tabs all the way.

There are a variety of ways to do a girth belt. I've seen people do them by hand, buying rope and fastening it together various ways. Also, I can't remember the exact thread, but Tigris Falco found a horse-riding equipment site that has horse girth belts that serve the trick nicely with a little modification. Personally, I just took a length of faux suede, folded it into a four-inch-wide 'belt', sewed the edges up and added a buckle.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Yay, another hand sewer! (ugh...there is no good way to write that)   Looks like you did a nice job of it. :)

At least you weren't trying to sew leather...I did that, and ended up losing about a teaspoon of blood from stabbing myself in the fingers so many times.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2009, 05:26 AM »
Thanks everyone and I feel your pain. :)

Vhe: Your metal work skills are seriously impressive. ;D

Slade: Thanks for the advice on the belt. I'll look into what you suggested. Especially since I need something wide to disguise where the pants and shirt meet so it looks more like a flightsuit. (still looking into what to do for shirt )

Pheonix: oh yeah... i know, the pouch is hand sewn as well and I can't bring myself to sew the other one. :'(

I had a hard time deciding on a color scheme. I got inspiration from a drawing of Padme holding a falcon in the episode II artbook,which reminded me of some Turkish jewelry I have (mainly the necklace).

(sorry for the low quality pics. Those are stills from a flip video camera...I do have a digital camera somewhere but rarely use it. Prefer to lug around an big, old Nikon FM2 35mm and a dark, 70 pound CRT monitor :P Nothing like doing things the hard way!  ;D )

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2009, 02:02 PM »
boots are great although i haven't gone through the process of official memberdon, yet.  colors are unique and they work.

aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2009, 03:22 AM »
Update
Finished (with the exception of top belt loop) one half of the kama. The shape is quite comfortable, it doesn't impede walking/running or crouching but still covers the unarmored back and side of leg. The leather is actually the leg from a pair of pants.

Kama (left side;  1 <---back--front--->  2 <---front--back--->) (Again, sorry for bad pic. My carpet is not orange :P)

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Looks great!

Pair of pants, lol.  I made my flack vest out of a leather skirt...works well doesn't it?

P.S. your carpet doesn't look orange...might be your monitor.  :)

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I've made the shoulder tabs on the vest bigger.

Also finished the kama. It needs to be fitted better around the waist, but I'm going to wait until I have a shirt to see where it needs to be trimmed.

P.S. your carpet doesn't look orange...might be your monitor.  :)
Probably! :) I have an excuse for my old monitor though...I haven't found a new one that doesn't give me a headache after 15min yet. Even laptops give me migraines, LCD tv is fine though.  Apparently there are a lot of people who have this problem. weird...

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Your hand sewing is impressive to say the least....beautiful work! It also makes me appreciate my sewing machine even more.  ;)

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2009, 04:03 PM »
SKILLZ!  Looks real good.

M-Psy

• The Mando Paparazzi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2009, 05:06 AM »
Very nice!
High elbow!  As a fellow hand sewer we gotta protect our hands.

THERE!!! I CHANGED IT TO M-PSY!!!

-Vid Sybot-

• Mess with the best die like the rest....
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2009, 06:27 AM »
wow! im very impressed! your skills serve you well!  so what about plates? you got a bucket?

« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate it. I haven't made anything for years due to university and life ect. so your comments really motivate me. I hope to make my kit up to the standards of other mercs and am seriously humbled by everyone's skills and creativity.

Vid, I've got a 2 piece Jango that is almost ready for painting. I've located a sintra supplier nearby and think I'll go that route. I'm still deciding on designs and colors for the armor.

Also, I've been thinking of modding a pair of Nerf Nite Finders that I have so that I can finish the holsters. I've been thinking of making cross draw holsters. advice/comments? :)

Ka'ra Tracyn Werda

• Not gone, merely marching far away.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2009, 08:35 AM »
Nerf Nite Finders? D: Those look kinda cheap, TBH (says the gal who's using dollar tree squirguns for her sidearms - though they look awesome and they'll be spraypainted). The pull-device to -censored- the gun just kinda throws it off. But since you already own them and plan on modding them anyway, might as well. If you ever decide to get something a bit different, might I might suggest something more along the lines of the Air Zone Photon Burst Power Blaster? Anyways, that's my two cents, I guess. We really need to make a time to get together on our armor builds. >_>

ka'ra tracyn werda: star in the fire's shadow
MossNoth @ DeviantArt

I've disconnected.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice Kara. I haven't decided on what to use for sidearms, but I had the nite finders laying around... ( If I do mod them then the pull back thing and the bottom tabs will be gone. also would add a longer barrel. basically use them for a base. I've seen some steampunk mods that looked pretty good. They may be more trouble than they're worth though so I might look into something better.)

Right now I'm working on how to do the holsters. I'm trying to figure out how I can get cross draw holsters to work with my belt and kama. I'm also sewing a top and a few more pouches.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2009, 12:48 PM »
cross draw holsters sound interesting and i don't think i've seen anyone do any. i look forward too see how they progress.

Dar Kyram

• Kyr'bes'alor
  • Mini-Mack the Mando MacNugget
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #17 on: Oct 01, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Hey, Anja. I know we've been discussing weapon ideas and I hope they work out. :) Your cut has great potential and I hope to see the progress when I get back in two and a half months!

Keep up the hard work, Anj'ika!

I'm Official Merc Member 220!

Gooble gooble gooble!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Some updates...

I'm looking into new flightsuit options. I had been planing on sewing a top to match the pants...couldn't match the material and had dye problems....
Same dye, many results. :P

Holster is in the works (with airsoft pistols.) After trying multiple leathers I have found something easy to work with (in light brown.)
Here's a new concept sketch.

« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Some updates...

I'm looking into new flightsuit options. I had been planing on sewing a top to match the pants...couldn't match the material and had dye problems....
Same dye, many results. :P

I know Joanne and the other dune sea girls just got 2 pairs of pants, and then turned one of them into the top...would that work?

« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2009, 05:32 PM »
I know Joanne and the other dune sea girls just got 2 pairs of pants, and then turned one of them into the top...would that work?

Good idea! ;D That's funny because I had thought about something similar to that (cutting the bottom of the pants, which are hidden in the boots anyway, to use for short sleeves with another long sleeve shirt underneath.) I didn't think about making a whole shirt though. I actually bought a second pair in case of dye problems because they were so cheap too.  I'm not entirely happy with the pants though, but I think I'll look into it some more.

Edit: I just checked the Dune Sea site and it looks like they used the extra pant's legs to make a elbow length sleeve and then wore a tighter long sleeve shirt underneath. This is a great solution for the meantime if I can't find anything else. Thanks Pheonix for pointing this out!

« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2009, 07:57 PM »
I've acquired a set of UnderArmour (HeatGear), which I may use for my flightsuit. Even though it isn't the original color I was looking for I'm leaning toward using these because they are comfortable and two pieces. The girl in me couldn't resist the fact that the colors match my vest. :P  The holsters, belt and pouches in brown leather should balance out all the black.

Oh, and that's only half a kama. ;)

RoboEmma

• aka Roboemma
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2009, 08:46 PM »
:0 That's so awesome! What a score!

~

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Looking Good! ;)

« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2009, 06:09 PM »
i agree, looking very good

aliit ori'shya tal'din

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!