Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Helmet design

• 14 Replies

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
New Helmet design
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Figured I would show off my new design here. This has been modelled for a fellow Merc to print off once he signs off on the design.

Prelude: Was speaking to a Havelock after an event and we got to talking about upgrades (as you do) and we started talking about what he wants for his helmet. As he described it I realised that I could model it as I have the tools to do so again.

Brief: The brief was simple. A Nite Owl styled helmet. However it must have Boba/Jango styled cheeks. It needed to look angrier/meaner than the current Nite Owl. It must have a Pre Vizsla styled ear cannons.

As this was being described my mind started designing it (and nothing is better than your design matching your mental image).

Inspiration: Google is your friend.

Quick search on Google Images got me these images including someone on Deviantart having already sketched a similar helmet in profile and front (Seriously saved me a whole lot of time and energy)

Several other images came from the mando mercs, though through google images I did not grab their names. These were used for design influence to help get the general shape going.

Build: This is a 3D Model that will be exported and printed, so not physical sculpting.

The first image already shows my starting work on the cheeks. Once I had the dome area sorted I added in the brow initially having it more prominent at the back but still present in the front. The difficult part was always getting the cheeks to look right, trying to get the flatness, the correct curve and angles. This was the first pass on that, and I have gone back and tweaked it multiple times.

Here we can see the visor area has been added. I went with slightly straighter lines than the initial Nite Owl while leaving the triangle beak point. I am hoping that this meets with the angrier/meaner look. It is a simple design trying to invoke angry eyes (and in typing this I am thinking of potential changes to make it even angrier).

Here you can see more work was done to the cheeks and side of the helmet, flattening the sides out in prep for the earcaps. I also took away the brow at the front as I felt like it was not working for the overall design, it just didn't look right.

Kinda added a lot between these photos. Ear caps have been added, this includes a bottom Boba/Jango style with a Nite Owl top.It also includes the earcap cannons while keeping it smaller than the Vizsla style.

Rear vents added as well. This was not a request, and could have been left out, however I feel like it is needed.

Since these photos I have added a few extra details, and just cleaned up some connections. Once I have sign off from Havelock, I shall send it to the app team for approval.

If it is approved it shall be dubbed the "Falcon"

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: New Helmet design
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Love it! :<3:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 08:11 PM »
Thanks Vod

Orthographic and Perspective images of the completed helmet. Calling it the Ca'galaar: Night Hawk

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 09:50 PM »
Orthographic and Perspective images of the completed helmet. Calling it the Ca'galaar: Night Hawk
Worth noting this helmet from Demon Dog sells under that name:

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:35 PM »
I did not know.

I do have alternative names. Either the Falcon, or with the clans permission the Vhekad'galaar: Sand Hawk

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:42 PM »
Oooooo....as an interested in party in this  :P I'm a fan of the "Sand Hawk," and really hope your Clan gives the blessing for it.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 11:42 PM »
Helmet is approved for use. Once my friend confirms the print works, then I start a sales thread.

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Phenomenal.  I'll be sending you a PM in the very near future, vod.  Thank you so much.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Just waiting on my friend to run a test print to make sure there are no problems.

Padawan

• Kapr vakare cuyir vurel o'r gar riye
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2019, 01:51 PM »
I love the ear cannons, the helmet looks awesome vod!

-Sofia C

Because I love the adrenaline in my veins, I do whatever it takes

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2019, 12:32 AM »
Straka... You need this to replace your old one... Just sayin'....

Helmet Scratch Build¦¦Beskar'gam¦¦Privateer Brigade WIP

MMCC #1484¦¦31 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.O.M.B. #16 ¦¦ M.T.S. #61 ¦¦ V.O.T.S. #34  ¦¦ B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦¦ M.A.R.S. #21
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2019, 08:32 AM »
once you know it works will you be selling the file as well? id be interested in printing my own.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Straka... You need this to replace your old one... Just sayin'....

VERY tempting...

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2019, 05:57 PM »
once you know it works will you be selling the file as well? id be interested in printing my own.

I will yes. I have a second friend who will be printing a helmet for me too.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2019, 02:08 AM »

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!