Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zul Veyrde's thread: GONE METAL! RESURREKTION!!!!

• 86 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Zul Veyrde's thread: GONE METAL! RESURREKTION!!!!
« Reply #75 on: Feb 26, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I'm not on the App Team, so take this with a grain of salt, but I like the look of it.
Makes it look like it has gone to hell and back.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Zul Veyrde

• "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy" -FSF
« Reply #76 on: Feb 26, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Yeah. The idea is that it had been his father's helmet, gifted to him for his service training clones during the Clone Wars.

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."-George Bernard Shaw
Zul Veyrde's WIP thread: GONE METAL! RE-RESURREKTION!!!! (update) *MAJIC#037-M.A.#012-24er-The Elegant Mando Tea Society#038-K.O.M.S.#011-ALUMINATI Metal Armour Society#018-M.A.C.K. Daddy#009-S.O.S.#021-L.O.B.#019-M.A.D.#074-O.O.P.S.#051-\m/M.M.R.S.#029\m/-Grey Brigade Over 40#10

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #77 on: Mar 18, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Collar, chest and ab mounted to vest today. A few steps closer...

Update: attached shoulder buckles at collar plate and backplate. Also replaced broken straps at top of boot buckles w/ attachment clips from an old baby car seat strap i found. Ill be covering the attachment to the back of the boots with the jumpjet rigs.

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2018, 10:31 PM by Zul Veyrde » Logged
-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."-George Bernard Shaw
Zul Veyrde's WIP thread: GONE METAL! RE-RESURREKTION!!!! (update) *MAJIC#037-M.A.#012-24er-The Elegant Mando Tea Society#038-K.O.M.S.#011-ALUMINATI Metal Armour Society#018-M.A.C.K. Daddy#009-S.O.S.#021-L.O.B.#019-M.A.D.#074-O.O.P.S.#051-\m/M.M.R.S.#029\m/-Grey Brigade Over 40#10

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #78 on: Jul 03, 2018, 11:14 PM »
UPDATE:

I Think I'm ready for preapps. Posting these here. I know i have some issues at the knees. Here is what i have so far...

Preapps soon and hopefully apps soon as well.

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #79 on: Jul 07, 2018, 10:39 PM »
I apologize for the delay.

The quality isn't great, but the only thing that stands out in these is that the chest plates need some more shaping so that they conform to your body better. In particular what stands out is the way the top edge pulls away from your body. Additionally, your plates all look oversized, but that might be a placement issue and not a kit up issue.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #80 on: Jul 08, 2018, 05:07 AM »
Both the chest and back plates look very wide and could so with trimming down. Additionally the chest plates need more 3D spacing as they have only been bent in one direction around the body, they need to be shaped over the pec muscle area too. When remounting they'd need to be rotated a little as they are rotated inwards at the top at the moment.

What are the back of the boots? Jump jets? It's not entirely clear, I might suggest a bit of cabling or hoses or something else to make it a little more obvious.

The top and bottom of a flightsuit MUST match. If you wear a single sleeve flightsuit then the top and bottom must match in both colour and material. If you wear a double sleeve flightsuit then the outer sleeve and he trousers must match in colour and material.

Top of the cod looks like it might need covering.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely loving the lived in look you've achieved and the amount of odds and ends your character has picked up on his travels.

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018, 05:11 AM by Kris Jasra » Logged
Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #81 on: Jul 09, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I apologize for the delay.

The quality isn't great, but the only thing that stands out in these is that the chest plates need some more shaping so that they conform to your body better. In particular what stands out is the way the top edge pulls away from your body. Additionally, your plates all look oversized, but that might be a placement issue and not a kit up issue.

Thanks for the feedback! As we discussed via FB Mssgr. Im def going to work on trimming torso plates with my rotary tool and metal wheels. The pectoral plates are currently a single piece epoxied together a long time ago, but obviously with the plates oversized i have to reconsider that design and break things up for better placement and to break up that curve.

Both the chest and back plates look very wide and could so with trimming down. Additionally the chest plates need more 3D spacing as they have only been bent in one direction around the body, they need to be shaped over the pec muscle area too. When remounting they'd need to be rotated a little as they are rotated inwards at the top at the moment.

What are the back of the boots? Jump jets? It's not entirely clear, I might suggest a bit of cabling or hoses or something else to make it a little more obvious.

The top and bottom of a flightsuit MUST match. If you wear a single sleeve flightsuit then the top and bottom must match in both colour and material. If you wear a double sleeve flightsuit then the outer sleeve and he trousers must match in colour and material.

Top of the cod looks like it might need covering.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely loving the lived in look you've achieved and the amount of odds and ends your character has picked up on his travels.

Kris, thanks so much for helping out!
Ok so, point by point acknowledgement of critique...
*trimming plates: ALL torso plates...
-Chest...✔...
-Back too?...sigh...10-4...
-Rotate chest plates (slightly outwards?)...
Ok lets see how that goes once trimming and plate separation/re positioning is complete. Sounds Do-able.
-Jump jets- ok i can add some additional cable/hosing. I have some but i wanted to minimize as much of that as possible to avoid snagging. I can do it, though.  (Its already a running joke that i lose pieces of me trooping with friends in the NJ clan. Haha.) Im considering other potential options...
- flightsuit IS a one piece paintball but i modified the sleeves using those of a red work shirt. If i really must, i can add short sleeves from a black dickies shirt to make it a double sleeve. Would that work? Thought i had a pic of just jumpsuit but I cant find it. I can take one if need be.
-Top of cod? You mean the belt? I guess I can mount the cod ON TOP of the belt to cover it, if that works. Or does it have to be the top of the cod itself. My pouch belt sits above the kama belt which sits above the cod belt. I think when i get placement right it should cover kama just fine.

Thanks for the compliments on weathering and my trophies. And your great feedback and support. As i told Dale and Riley, once i get settled back home post con (omw home from a Con in NJ now) ill give myself 2-6 months to implement changes and apply.

Stay Tuned!

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2018, 10:42 AM by Zul Veyrde » Logged
-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #82 on: Jul 09, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Top of the cod plate should not be visible - I couldn't tell if it was or not so thought I'd better mention it. I put my cod belt on first, then my kama, then girth, then ammo belt so there is absolutely no way the top of the damn thing can work its way out :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Zul Veyrde

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Second attempt at posting this. First one seemed to be lost in the ether. :rolleyes:

Ok...

SO. NECROPOST!!!!

Decided to take my kit out of luggage finally after a rough 2019. Welp 2020 seems much worse with all this CoVid BS

Been inspired by the uptick of activity in the Mando'ad fandom.

Brought out my kit, mounted it back on my dummy and cleaned my workshop. Joined up with Raquor'daan Clan's virtual armor party a couple weeks ago. Thought to myself...sigh...ok...let's do this...

First step. Vest repair.

I was reminded of a style of vest I saw by Whitecrow YEARS ago (before I ordered this awesome K'raam Xraati duckcloth vest).

Saw a design from Akaleh Skirata via her FB post in The Mando Builders group and her  tutorial on these forums.

https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=190114.0&fbclid=IwAR1pQKMk6bOfj2YW0hIEiiREhIFl2SRSSPsiFJCj3KWsY7m_Mf6Dy-es-Vs

Seeing this and reading her tutorial really inspired me to get my shebs in gear and attempt this design, as Ive been awkwardly shrugging into a rear-enclosed vest that busted 2 zippers and struggled through a really difficult attempt at a series of bra-hook enclosures. (Will and Annie from Raquor'daan can vouch for me on that! :P)

*Removed all of my plates. *Sewed up the rear enclosure after removing the EPIC FAIL that was the bra-style hook and eye enclosures.
*Cut along the side seams leading up to the shoulder bells on both sides and along the neck seams leading down to the shoulder bells.
*A LOT of hand sewing (no es bueno, es muy malo) along the cuts. This not only strengthened my fabric edges but also helped improve the attachment of the layers-leather*ish* vest (converted from my wife's old jacket) layered atop the original (but old and seriously worn and torn) duckcloth vest.
*Attached small parachute buckles at three points of the neckseal at the sides of the neck. The side with only one buckle has a button at about where my shoulder meets the top of my clavicle. This way I have room for what my wife says is a big ol' head as I pull the vest over it, smock-style.

TO DO:
*Attach buckles at the sides beneath my armpits.
*clean up my stitch-work. I'm not the best at sewing. I have zero machine skills and negative patience to learn to use a machine, so I only hand-sew or use iron-on fusing webbing. I'm also  thinking of painting all my thread with a black acrylic ink dye that I have, so it blends better.

I'm pleased so far...

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:18 AM by Zul Veyrde » Logged
-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2020, 07:44 AM »
Dude I am so glad to see you back at it! I saw your comment on the regional armor party thread and I immediately checked to see if you had posted anywhere else recently!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2020, 09:59 AM »
The photo didn't show up for me, but from what you're describing, it should work out fine.

Glad to hear you're back at the build, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Zul Veyrde

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:41 PM by Zul Veyrde » Logged
-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!