Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Modern Kit Planning - WIP

• 17 Replies
Modern Kit Planning - WIP
« on: Jun 03, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Been kicking around a lot of ideas for this in my mind since Celebration, time to start making some choices and solid plans to proceed.

Basic idea is a pretty standard Modern Era kit that falls somewhere between Boba Fett and The Mandalorian characters.  Really liking the style of the new helmet and some of the armor, but I think I want to go with the separate chest plates like Boba/Jango.  Color scheme is currently: Navy blue primary color, raw beskar and gray secondaries, with red as an accent color.

I've got a couple soft parts in the works:

A Tru-spec 27P flight suit, starting with navy but planning to remove some of the dye with bleach/dye remover to get a lighter blue/gray shade. Once the color is right I think I'll have to stitch some pockets shut to meet CRLs, but liking this as a base so far. Amazon listing

Found some batting gloves at walmart that I think I can modify to work. I like these gloves because they are really thin and don't restrict movement, I can get my finger in the trigger guard of my blaster easily and should be able to operate buttons I'm planning to work into the rest of the kit.  Will definitely need some armor plates to cover the Franklin logo and a rework of the closure section to remove the MLB logo, also planning to get the white parts to a tan/brown shade so they don't stick out as much. walmart listing

Also mostly finished with my first weapon for the kit: WIP Thread Been kicking around ideas for that for a couple years since I found that old BB gun so it was an easy place to get started.

Now on to the part still in the early planning stage that I think will take the longest, the helmet. I'm planning to design and 3D print the helmet based off the current references from The Mandalorian.  So far I have some rough sketches to work from, a decently proportioned boba fett helmet for sizing and a couple basic ideas to incorporate the electronics into the design phase rather than trying to work them in after the helmet is printed. 

First up, the base design of the helmet with an idea for external mic location hidden in the ear cap. I think the challenge with that placement is getting the mic to look like a natural part of the bucket since it will be somewhat visible. This setup would require the rangefinder ear cap on both sides, which doesn't seem to be prohibited by the CRLs as long as all the pieces are there (minus the second rangefinder). The Mandalorian promo image is actually perfect reference for this setup, the cap without rangefinder.

Another ear cap idea, adding some hidden vents to allow the fans to pull air from outside the helmet. Also planning to set up the keyslots for air intake as well, then see how many fans I really need.

Finally, a foam board mockup in a Boba helmet of all the electronic bits I eventually want to include in the final helmet so I could check if the sizing of the helmet with the components installed would fit my head.  The only thing that was touching my head in this configuration was the servo for the rangefinder, but that should ultimately be recessed a few mm into the wall of the helmet in the final design, so I think everything will work.

Theoretically, these components will make the full fan system and external audio amplification system, as well as part of the personal voice amp and motorized rangefinder.  There are a couple extra components that I hope I don't need, like the second Arduino and XBee, but they are included in case one arduino can't handle sending signals down to a belt speaker and monitoring for incoming button presses to move the rangefinder, which I would like to control from one of the gauntlets.

As I was labeling the photo this morning, I realized I will probably move the arduino(s) down to the cheek area to cut down on wire length and make accessing the usb ports for programming updates easier. If I need to use two I will put one on both cheeks and flip the voice mic placement so the voice system is on the left cheek and the rangefinder system is on the right.

I'm also not 100% sure where/how I want to place the bone conductors. As laid out in the image they will need to be secured by foam to the helmet so the vibrations don't turn the helmet into a speaker while pressing them against my forehead firmly enough to let me hear the sounds. Another option I thought of was to make a separate apparatus that would rest on my neck and hold them to the back of my head behind the ears, which would require another XBee/Arduino pair to keep things wireless.

Re: Modern Kit Planning - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Small progress update, before and after on one of the gloves. I'm pretty happy with the result (more than I thought I would be when I came up with the idea) now to let that glove dry for a few days and see if the stain odor dissipates.

No new drawings today, but I explored the Mandalore's helmet videos and some of the electronics tutorials he made so it looks like the system I have planned should work pretty well.  Based on his videos I think I will want to add a second battery to power some of the systems and relocate the bone conductors closer to my ears.

Also wondering if 4 fans might be overkill, worst case I have to design a different piece to remove/hide the planned air intakes.

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immoral for a limited time. -- 1936
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I love the weathering on the gloves but what's your plan on removing the logos? 

The mock up of the electronics is great.  And you drawings are over the top.  Cant wait to see your kit come together.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2019, 02:06 PM »
I love the weathering on the gloves but what's your plan on removing the logos? 

The mock up of the electronics is great.  And you drawings are over the top.  Cant wait to see your kit come together.

Thanks!

The logos are impossible to remove without cutting holes in the fabric unfortunately, so I'm planning to have an armor plate attached to the back of the gloves that will cover the Franklin logo and the 2nd Skinz text (currently hoping I can affix the plate to the bit of leather where 2nd Skinz is located and probably the trianglular indent by the big logo).  I will probably also stitch stretchable fabric over the franklin logo so the white doesn't have a chance to peek out from under the plate when my hand moves.

The MLB logo I'm still a little undecided on direction.  I've thought about removing the velcro section entirely and replacing it with a solid band of elastic or designing a smaller complimentary plate that is attached to the strap that would have a more segmented armor look when the strap is closed.

Wolfin Sylvermane

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Solid plan.   :like:

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Thanks!

The MLB logo I'm still a little undecided on direction.  I've thought about removing the velcro section entirely and replacing it with a solid band of elastic or designing a smaller complimentary plate that is attached to the strap that would have a more segmented armor look when the strap is closed.

I was planning on doing the exact same thing. I was also considering sewing a long strip of elastic (high quality) directly on top of the MLB Velcro that wraps all the way around the wrist and velcros again...effectively making it end up like this...

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Upon further inspection I noticed the gloves already have good elastic all the way around the wrist, so a quick pass with the seam ripper took care of the MLB logo section.  They still fit really well without the closure, but I'll probably add a little more elastic to close the loop or wait to see how they interact with gauntlets to make that call. Do gauntlets typically overlap that part of a glove?

Took the seam ripper to the extra pockets on the flight suit as well, was very happy to find the pockets were all stitched on top of the suit so they were really easy to remove and left no holes to close.  Bonus, I have a lot more fabric to make modifications to the suit than I thought so I can add some zipper-less pockets elsewhere if I have gaps in the design. (No pictures from this, blank fabric looks kinda boring).

Tried out some of the paint I had picked up for the project, but with an orange accent since I haven't picked up a red yet.  I like the way the metallic and the blue look together and the orange matches up really nicely too so I may switch the accent color...not sure yet.

Also finally got started modeling the helmet, not a lot of progress yet but the dome and comb is roughed out. Need to work the split into the dome next to fit it on my printer and have some PLA+ on the way so I can get that started this weekend.

Wolfin Sylvermane

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2019, 02:29 PM »
The gauntlets and gloves don't exactly overlap but will butt up to each other.   Any over lap is measured in millimeters.   

You should be good with the closure as long as no skin shows around the wrist.  If there is a gap adding the elastic should close it.

The modeling looks great.  I have not modeled a helmet yet but have plans to.  Can't wait to see the model.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Good to know,  I must have missed the part about exposed skin on the gloves so I think I'll take some of the extra flight suit fabric and add a bit there.  The part  rimmed in grey is all open and definitely leaves some skin exposed, the fabric will hide that and should act as a nice anchor to elastic bits as well.

Ronin Tavic

• I'm not crazy, I just find sanity boring.
  • Awards 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Yeah finger tips are good, skin on the hand and wrist, not so much.
Hand plate is an easy fix, I attached mine with adhesive velcro on the plate, and sewed a patch to the glove by hand. no sweat.
Personally, I see more blue with orange, so I'd go with the red  :like:

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2019, 09:57 PM »
Yeah finger tips are good, skin on the hand and wrist, not so much.
Hand plate is an easy fix, I attached mine with adhesive velcro on the plate, and sewed a patch to the glove by hand. no sweat.
Personally, I see more blue with orange, so I'd go with the red  :like:

Doh! Don't know why I didn't think of velcro for that plate.  Thanks for the tip!

Picked up a red and a slightly darker gray shade to try out, almost have all the layers down to take a comparison photo.  MY only concern with the red is looking too much like an iron patriot crossover.  I think the accent color will be small enough that it won't, but I haven't planned out the exact placement of all the colors yet so I don't know.

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Great work so far Vod. Love the electronics mock up, always good to have in idea of what you want to squeeze in there, as it means you can model the helmet accordingly

MMCC #1437 | B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

Re: Modern Kit Planning
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Thanks Vor'en!

Here is the new paint sample.  Overall, the gray didn't change things as much as I thought it would.  I couldn't get the finish quite as shiny/metallic as the lighter color so they ended up looking about the same except for the glossiness.  The red isn't quite as bright in person, but I do want to go explore some darker options if they exist in this paint line. On the other hand, it does match the red in the gloves really well so maybe it is the right shade.

Also got in a couple sizes of Sintra to start learning that process.  I did a couple plates for the gloves out of 6mm and it wasn't too difficult to cut or form as I was worried about.  Granted these are pretty small pieces so I'm sure there will be more of a learning curve when I get to the chest plates.  I think I overheated the material slightly because the edges curled up weird, I managed to compress it thinner on a couple edges, and left a glove imprint in one corner. The good news is these parts should still be usable because I am planning to give the top a more angular shape like the 3D print in the first picture (minus the accidental heat gun impression) using a sander.

Not trying to turn this into a WIP thread, but one of the things I like to do when planning out a big project is complete the steps start to finish on a smaller scale so I can try out all the new skills/techniques I'll need, which is what my gloves are quickly becoming. So I'll probably add the finishing of the gloves here, then I'll be starting a more detailed helmet and soft parts wip soon and leave the rest of this thread for planning out the rest of the kit.

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 11:06 AM by solaren » Logged

Wolfin Sylvermane

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2019, 10:49 AM »
The plates look great.  But be very careful when heating the sintra. The plastic is PVC based and if you burn it it will give off toxic fumes, which is why we can't laser curt PVC, so make sure you're in a well ventilated area.

On white sintra it's easy to tell if you iver heat it, it turns brown.  With black I'm not sure.   

Chest plates and the back plate are the hardest to do alone.  If you can make an armor party or get a friend to help, that's the best way.

« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Thanks Wolfin, definitely aware of pvc fumes and I don't think I got it quite that hot. I wish I could use my laser cutter for this.

I think for the larger plates I'll be doing the hot water bath the Mandalore just demoed on facebook, but the heat gun was handy for this small test.  We are trying to get some armor parties restarted in my area, but my primary plan is a duct tape dummy (my wife's expression when I told her she'd have to help me with that was great).

Anyway, slow and steady progress on the test plates (had to resand more times than I'd like to admit to get to this stage). Almost ready for the metal finish.

Managed to grab a couple more inspirational images from The Mandalorian footage revealed at celebration.  I really like the shape of his newly made plates, especially the pecs and shoulders, and that iron heart is amazingly detailed.  Looks like he got to skip the collar armor on both suits (probably due to it interfering with range of motion for the action in the show), and it looks kinda like the chest plates overlap the ab plate. It seems to be an interesting mix of modern and legacy armor styling that I know can't be replicated for a custom kit to pass CRLs...but maybe when there is more reference I'll make a second kit based on this character.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!