Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First bucket

• 15 Replies
First bucket
« on: Jun 08, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Been slowly working on this here and there. It's a Demon Dog Studios Mk1. Tried to finish up my visor sanding and filing before the rains started ........again.

Got one spot that tore when I was reshaping one side that curved inward too much

I'll be touching that up with bondo later. Think I should get a fiberglass patch on the inside of that area ? Or is the damage too small to bother with fiberglass ?

Thanks for looking!

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: First bucket
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Even small cracks need a backing for the bondo to adhere to. Otherwise it'll just crack out over time.

You can either fiberglass a small patch behind it or back it with a wire mesh or even sintra glued in place.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2019, 12:01 PM »
You definitely want to reinforce that crack with fiberglass or a plastic shim.  Not just because a bondo repair could crack in the future but because the crack could spread further, and reinforcing it now will prevent that.

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Thank you both for the advice! I'll grab a patch kit for this weekend.

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2019, 10:39 PM »
I'd agree with some sort of reinforcement.  Also, some leave the piece between the mandibles in for extra stability.

Looking good.

MMCC // #2191      Brigades #323
Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)
Striker Division: Spec Ops- Recon (Approved)

Justice, and Vengence. Though not necessarily in that order.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2019, 01:04 PM »

Getting there

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Progress has been pretty slow, lot of out of town work lately.  Did run into one thing I need advice on. My ear caps don't have the same angle as the bucket edge. Both are from Demon Dog Studios.

I posted on the Mando FB group and just looking for additional input before moving forward.  One suggestion was layer sintra strips to match it up. Another was not to worry about it at all. Last was cut the ear cap above the bottom detailing, file/sand the angle proper and reattach.

Any other suggestions? Anyone else run into this before?

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2019, 11:09 PM »
I haven't run into it before but if the helmet and ears are from the same place, I'd ask them if that was intentional. If not, maybe they'll send out a new set. Cutting off the bottom of the ear would make it sit too low and it'd look really weird. I'm having a hard time visualizing the sintra strip idea.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2019, 04:28 AM »
Looks like there’s room to move the caps up a touch. The angles don’t have to match up. You can also use bondo or something to fill gaps above if the moving up makes a gap, and as long as it doesn’t make your lid look funny.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Ok so alignment on bottom isn't too big of a deal then?  How's this look?

Thanks for the help ;)

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2019, 10:39 PM »
I think placement looks ok.  If it were me (massive OCD) i would take some Bondo or filler putty and even it out at the bottom so they line up, and then sand it to get the same angle.

But, I have days where I have to straighten other people's wall hangings in my office at work, so.....
 :laugh:

MMCC // #2191      Brigades #323
Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)
Striker Division: Spec Ops- Recon (Approved)

Justice, and Vengence. Though not necessarily in that order.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Placement looks fine to me, i would make sure they’re the same distance from the front edge of the ear bed area before gluing though. That way they’re fairly even and you can achieve the same angle on both to have them symmetrical.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2019, 07:31 PM »
Finally just went for it. Looks like I'll be needing to fill some gaps before I attach the rangefinder portion of the ear cap (and can't reach all the lower part) but happy to have made some progress none the less ;) 

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Been awhile figured I should update this ;)

Finally got the bucket together and painted.  Might do a little more washing tomorrow to add some more layers but here it is

Used a combination of liquid latex, hairspray, and kosher salt for the weathering.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 05:12 PM »
So ripping down defective equipment from work pays off sometimes ;)  Got a nice greeb from a bad camera that was perfect for my bucket's rangefinder

Adds just the right touch, even if it's only for my view ;)

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 06:22 PM »
Great find! That looks awesome.  Fun little details make kits your own.   

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!