Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

How do you attach your plates?

Magnets
3 (13.6%)
Velcro
12 (54.5%)
Rivets
2 (9.1%)
Other
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Fixing armor to your vest?

• 9 Replies

Prida

• Build (slowly) in progress!
Fixing armor to your vest?
« on: Jun 12, 2019, 12:54 AM »
So how do you do yours?

Just wondering if there is a favourite method. If people fix the plates on permanently or if they are removable.

Have you tried more than one?
What works best for you?

-Verd ori'shya beskar'gam!-

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Fixing armor to your vest?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2019, 01:01 PM »
I like the Velcro method because I am able to take my plates off if needed and I can also tweak their placement

He/Him Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 31

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2019, 04:52 PM »
I use bolts through grommets in the vest. I've never had a plate fall off. But at the same time, there's a lot that can go wrong... incorrect placement of a grommet, or a nut/anchor on the back of the armor plate and the whole thing might be off center, or incorrectly spaced...

Prida

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Not sure how you mean, can you post an image when you have a moment.

I use bolts through grommets in the vest. I've never had a plate fall off. But at the same time, there's a lot that can go wrong... incorrect placement of a grommet, or a nut/anchor on the back of the armor plate and the whole thing might be off center, or incorrectly spaced...

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2019, 08:31 PM »
Grommet placed (this one is a shoulder).

Two layers of 1/8-inch PVC, one with threaded holes aligned with the grommets on the vest.

Screwed on.

Prida

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2019, 12:08 AM »
It's a good end result, it looks great.

Grommet placed (this one is a shoulder).

Two layers of 1/8-inch PVC, one with threaded holes aligned with the grommets on the vest.

Screwed on.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2019, 10:35 AM »

I've seen this done with Chicago screws or t-nuts, but this looks like you tapped the plate itself.  Is this Sintra/expanded PVC?  If so, how are the threads holding up?  I would think Sintra would be too fragile to hold threads.

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2019, 02:37 PM »
I've seen this done with Chicago screws or t-nuts, but this looks like you tapped the plate itself.  Is this Sintra/expanded PVC?  If so, how are the threads holding up?  I would think Sintra would be too fragile to hold threads.

Definitely not sintra. I would agree with you. Threaded sintra would probably rip out almost immediately. I use solid PVC for most of my armor, and always solid PVC for the threaded "anchors"... most of my plates aren't double thickness. I have used 1/4-inch solid PVC discs that I have drilled and threaded and glued to the armor plates themselves. (The double layered 1/8" PVC isn't a typical example of how I affix my armor to my vest... the chest diamond was just the easiest armor plate to remove and photograph)

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2019, 07:36 PM »
Hi Prida, cheers!

Well, on my vest I use velcro (sewed to the vest), it's better to place/remove plates before/after invasions and while I was WIP, fix placement.
Also use snaps on knees, shins and boot armor  ;)

Hope it helps,

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Prida

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2019, 10:48 AM »
I was wondering about knees not so long ago, I was wondering if Velcro is strong enough when the part will move lots.

Hi Prida, cheers!

Well, on my vest I use velcro (sewed to the vest), it's better to place/remove plates before/after invasions and while I was WIP, fix placement.
Also use snaps on knees, shins and boot armor  ;)

Hope it helps,

AJ

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!