Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

1st Kit Concept - Celtic Ahch-to Island

• 1 Replies

dragonaria99

• I don't make threats, I make promises - CO
1st Kit Concept - Celtic Ahch-to Island
« on: Jun 14, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Hey Everyone! This is my first mando kit, I've had the basic kit parts since Star Wars Celebration Orlando and now that I've transitioned to college and it's summer I finally have time to really get into the build. This is a concept I've had for a while. I usually cosplay medieval/steampunk and I wanted to incorporate that into this build.

My inspiration for this kit are the island of Ahch-to, Porgs, the Lanai, Celtic/medieval chain mail, Enfys Nest, and Susan from The Chronicles of Narnia.

I have a dark blue flightsuit as the base and I wanted to try something different with the vest. I would like to attempt a silver chain mail "vest", similar to Susan's from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe but not as long. I figured that since Ahch-to is surrounded by the ocean there must be deadly sea creatures and modern people still use chain mail against sharks it was a practical choice rather than a cloth vest. I plan on using 16 gauge steel wire and following this tutorial on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VgdI2GAdOI. For the plates I plan on covering them in a brown or grey leather to simulate something like sealskin but not as fury. I picture my mando spending alot of time in and around water; metal would rust so having a leather like plate that is figuratively waterproof makes more sense. I picture the plates connected by leather straps and resting over the chain mail rather than directly attached to it. My flight suit does not have a collar so I was picturing a blue scarf like the male Lanai have, I also plan on wearing a neck/head base layer like a ski mask made out of athletic material under the flight suit so skin wouldn't show if the scarf slipped down. I took my inspiration for the bracers/gauntlets directly from Enfys Nest, I fell in love with her bracers and I could see them painted with a porg color scheme easily. I plan on having a large belt of various braided leather connected to the stomach plate that is attached to a celtic inspired kama. I know I want the design to be celtic but I can't decide if I should have fish surrounding a porg or an island landscape - both would require alot of work regarding embroidering and such but it's fun to think about. I plan on having knee high armored boots and knee plates as well. Lastly is a long term project - a Porg feather cape inspired by ceremonial Polynesian feather capes but this would be the last thing I'd work on.

I'm super excited about this and would appreciate any feedback!!

This is the link to a google drive folder with all pictures
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17JrOZGioDsOGIVbF2I0WkniX2GiXzfVN

:porg1: :porg2: :porg1: :porg2:

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: 1st Kit Concept - Celtic Ahch-to Island
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Hi dragonaria99
I really like it is a very ambitious project I'm sure your Kit will be great.
However the first thing that I suggest you do is check this link. Here you can check the correct way to upload the photos, it does not matter if they are too many Pics. that will help your thread have all the information in one place.
I like the idea of covering the plates with leather sounds great.

I will be attentive to your advances :like:

You have doubts? Rules and Guides

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!