Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Light-saber powered rifle

• 8 Replies
Light-saber powered rifle
« on: Jul 12, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Just watched a video about 2 lightsaber rifles . I was intrigued as to whether these could be allowed or not?

https://youtu.be/pGGp_rygVMk

Kurz

Re: Light-saber powered rifle
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2019, 07:48 PM »
I'm no app team, but considering the fact that a light Saber rifle requires a functional light Saber that can be detached and used, and the fact that light sabers aren't allowed if not broken (trophies), I think that this would be a no go for them. But I might be wrong. Anyway never heard about light Saber guns before, except for Ezra's pistol. Those things are awesome.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2019, 07:59 PM »
made by jedi, used by jedi, functional lightsaber -- unlikely to be approved.  If you want to follow up more directly, work with your Ruus'alor and ask them to reach out to your Regional Ruus'ol to get the final word.

But-- from the crls:
Lightsabers:

Lightsaber/darksaber hilts may be worn as trophies, but must be visibly damaged as to appear unusable. Such trophies must be worn or mounted in such a way as to not appear to be a functioning weapon.
No full bladed lightsabers/darksabers may be carried unless your character is portraying an *in-canon* lightsaber/darksaber wielding mando (i.e., Bardan Jusik, Kad Skirata, Pre Viszla).

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2019, 09:00 PM »
...light Saber rifle requires a functional light Saber that can be detached and used, and the fact that light sabers aren't allowed if not broken (trophies), I think that this would be a no go for them....

made by jedi, used by jedi, functional lightsaber

Yeah, a lightsaber powered rifle isn't approvable.  There's a whole galaxy's worth of other awesome weapons that mandos can use, though.  From melee to anti-armor.  Lots of options, vod!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2019, 09:22 PM »
I watched the video. Beyond the fact that both lightsaber rifles are unstable, a Mandalorian wouldn't trust his or her life to a weapon that could fail after a few shots.

While there are plenty of reliable weapons out there from rocket launchers and sniper rifles to a wide array of long. short, and medium ranged weapons that can get the job done for us. We are not Jedi and we don't carry the weapon of a Jedi.

As Han Solo said "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

I'm pretty sure he picked that up from a Mandalorian along the way.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Jarek Tahl-Tracyn

• I AM the Mir'shebs'alor!
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2019, 03:50 AM »
... a Mandalorian wouldn't trust his or her life to a weapon that could fail after a few shots.

The extremely fragile and finicky Verpine Shatter Gun being the exception... right?  :P  ;D

Ner goyust di gotal ti te taakur’a beh ner aru'ela’a bal ner can'gal’a mareka te sho'cye beh val tal.

Desago

• Awards 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2019, 10:56 AM »
The extremely fragile and finicky Verpine Shatter Gun being the exception... right?  :P  ;D

I have never heard that before. With the Verp being a slug thrower it was often preferred by assassins since it was silent and didn't give away a snipers position with a plasma flash.
The slug being a solid object could easily pass through shields and didn't ricochet off a light saber like a plasma bolt would which is why it was preferred by Force Hunters.
The Verp was also easier to maintain since it had moving parts and wasn't impacted by environmental conditions such as sand on the circuit boards or water damage from swamps.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2019, 04:39 PM »
I understand the lightsaber Rifle Jocasta Nu used but the far killer of Oo’ob the apostate wasn’t a lightsaber-powered rifle as much as it used lightsaber technology, much like the main armament of the Death Star. That’s the difference I wondered about being able to exploit. “Magnification attenuator , lightsaber tech used in a sniper rifle” not an actual lightsaber.

Desago

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2019, 06:57 PM »
I understand the lightsaber Rifle Jocasta Nu used but the far killer of Oo’ob the apostate wasn’t a lightsaber-powered rifle as much as it used lightsaber technology, much like the main armament of the Death Star. That’s the difference I wondered about being able to exploit. “Magnification attenuator , lightsaber tech used in a sniper rifle” not an actual lightsaber.

A sniper rifle that uses a kyber Crystal?
So in other words a sniper rifle?

There are several members in my clan that have sniper rifles. I would leave the inter workings out of your build thread as they are irreverent to your finished product. Since none of our weapons actually work or fire, but with that said.

A sniper rifle works in the Star Wars universe on 2 priciples a projectile (slug thrower) or super heated gas that turns to plasma.
Amplification of plasma through a kyber crystal wouldn't theoretically work. But it doesn't matter as long as the sniper rifle looks like it belongs in the Star Wars universe.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!