Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Terrix First Armor Build - WIP

• 18 Replies

Ryn Terrix

• "Aliit ori'shya tal"
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023.
Terrix First Armor Build - WIP
« on: Jul 25, 2019, 12:18 AM »
Posting here with my first build, WIP pictures below. Nothing attached, but I do have photos with taped down armor to flight suit and vest in order to assess placement. Used Sintra for all the armor, planning to use rivets to attach to vest. (little tiny ones) Also, have straps for the greaves to hold over the boots, and straps for aesthetic only on the thigh plating. Planning to rivet the thigh armor onto the pants.

The helmet is incomplete, but I'm following the Rubies Tutorial on here with a couple of mods for the look and because I found the tutorial after I'd already done Bondo/some paint on the exterior.

Original Concept Didn't have the leg plating right, but here it is off Mandoa Maker:

Actual Armor builds and progress;
Shoulder Armor:

Greaves:

Ab Plate:

Full Chest Plates:

Cod Piece:

Collarplate:

Thigh Armor:

Full Armor Set Front:

Up Close Chest Armor Front:

Up Close Backplate:

Side View Chest Armor:

UPDATES:

Started on the helmet! Got my new visor taped into place for now to help placement while molding the stabilizer for the front and back.

Front:

3/4 view:

Since it was brought up, I made a new belt (trying to avoid the velcro this time, following the forum tutorial). Curious to see if the sizing is better? I also adjusted the armor plating up like suggested and made sure the belt covers the top of the codpiece but it no longer covers the bottom of the ab plate.

UPDATE:

Final stages and photos of the full kit. Would really appreciate feedback!

Front:

Side:

Back:

I know my bun is sticking out, I'm still experimenting with hairstyles.

LOG:

Thigh armor is giving me a heck of a hard time and it seems I forgot knee armor, so I'm cutting my thigh plating into knee armor. Hoping to be finished by the end of today (the 31) and ready for submission. Anything you guys see that would need to be fixed or could get me docked, please tell me now.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2019, 09:57 AM by Christie » Logged
Ryn Terrix | "We are born to die. We live to be remembered"

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Terrix First Armor Build - WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2019, 01:08 AM »
Good first kit up and shaping :)
I really like the weathering on your shins!

I know it's taped on, but just wanted to point out a couple of things.

I think your girth belt might be too wide -- it's okay to have like the bottom edge of your plate tuck into your waist items, but not much more than that.  Looks like several inches of your ab plate are under the girth belt at present.

When you're doing your final revisions, be sure there's no visible velcro on the back of the girth belt.

And probably you're already planning to, but be sure to remove the pocket  on your behind with the branding.  If you have hip pockets, be sure those get sewn shut.

You're off to a really great start!

Ryn Terrix

• "Aliit ori'shya tal"
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2019, 08:44 AM »
Thank you! I’ll be sure to made those mods to the belt. I sat it a little high to hold the ah plate in place (tape wasn’t doing so great of a job) but I can check the width and adjust. Is there an optimal size recommendation or should I just measure to ensure it doesn’t cover too much of the ab plate?

Definitely planning to remove pockets, thank you!

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2019, 09:05 AM »
The matte black looks great with the red you've chosen! The weathering and paint job turned out awesome!

I was thinking the chest and collar plates could slide up a little maybe too? If you start the collar right up against your neck, it'll slide everything up a bit. I could be wrong, but it's hard to tell from the photo angle.

My other thought was that the backplate looked like it might be just a little wide for your frame. Let's get a second opinion before cut into it though!

Overall, great work! I like the look you've got going so far!! Keep it up! I can't wait to see it all come together!  :8):

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Girth belt just needs to cover the top of your cod and fill up most of the gap between that and the bottom of your ab plate.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2019, 09:18 AM »
You're off to a good start, vod. You've got a solid concept and so far the execution has been well done. I do agree that your backplate is overly wide. You could probably trim a couple inches off of each side and be fine. I'm also a little concerned that there's something off with the chest places. I'm not sure if it's the angle or something else, but the tops seem to be floating a bit, and they look a little wide in comparison to the collar plate. I'd definitely talk it over with your Ruus and see what they say about that before doing anything there, though.

Other than that, I think you're off to an excellent start. Well done.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Ryn Terrix

• "Aliit ori'shya tal"
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2019, 06:16 PM »
You're off to a good start, vod. You've got a solid concept and so far the execution has been well done. I do agree that your backplate is overly wide. You could probably trim a couple inches off of each side and be fine. I'm also a little concerned that there's something off with the chest places. I'm not sure if it's the angle or something else, but the tops seem to be floating a bit, and they look a little wide in comparison to the collar plate. I'd definitely talk it over with your Ruus and see what they say about that before doing anything there, though.

Other than that, I think you're off to an excellent start. Well done.

Thank you! Definitely gonna look at making the backplate smaller, you're the second to note the sizing (it felt weird when I put it on too, haven't put it on in a few months)

The chest plates only had tape, so they might have had a floating look due to the tops not being secured to anything, plus the angle is up a bit (I looked at it)

Random question I should probably know...but who is my Ruus?

Kurshi BeJahaal

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Random question I should probably know...but who is my Ruus?

What state/country are you in?

Ryn Terrix

• "Aliit ori'shya tal"
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2019, 06:42 PM »
What state/country are you in?

Central Texas Area, I'm planning to join the Kar'ta Beskar Clan.

Updated Belt Since several mentioned it, along with plating spacing (move it all up). Thoughts welcome:

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2019, 02:24 PM by Havelock » Logged

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Try to avoid double posting in the future.
Your Ruus'alor is Mira Skydatt. You should drop by the clan forum and introduce yourself there.

Big thing im seeing is that your chest plates  need a bit more shaping. The top edges are curved out from the body quite a bit. Once you get the shaping down you should be able to get the spacing much easier. What attachment method do you plan on using?

Also, don't forget to weather your soft parts. The soft googs need to match the armor's weathering.

Ryn Terrix

• "Aliit ori'shya tal"
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Try to avoid double posting in the future.
Your Ruus'alor is Mira Skydatt. You should drop by the clan forum and introduce yourself there.

Big thing im seeing is that your chest plates  need a bit more shaping. The top edges are curved out from the body quite a bit. Once you get the shaping down you should be able to get the spacing much easier. What attachment method do you plan on using?

Also, don't forget to weather your soft parts. The soft googs need to match the armor's weathering.

Thank you for the name, I already posted over there.  ;)

They are out mainly because of the ducttape, but I can look at the shaping. (the ducttape doesn't want to hold it to the vest well) I'm planning to poprivet it with tiny rivets.

Got any suggestions for weathering the soft parts? Tutorials welcome.

Kurshi BeJahaal

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Your flightsuit is the same gray as mine. No joke, take it out and rub the legs and sleeves on your tires (I do this frequently), strategically grind dark dirt into spots, you can use wet coffee grounds and rub it in (leave it sit for a while to soak it all in), the same with used tea bags, use charcoal from a charcoal pencil, light mistings of brown and black spraypaint, water down acrylic colors a little and splash/smear it on etc.

Black can be trickier, but some people have suggested using a little baby powder to dust it up. I've used red line chalk to add a rust tint to certain parts too.

Basically, scuff it up and get it dirty! Just be careful not to put holes in it.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2019, 02:25 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

The awesome vode in Kar'ta Beskar Clan will definitely take good care of you.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2019, 01:03 PM »
Nice Start
I like the concept of your armor in black
keep going

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides

Ryn Terrix

• "Aliit ori'shya tal"
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2019, 04:48 PM »
(I hope this isn’t double posting)

UPDATE:

Got my gauntlets halfway done barring paint and weathering. They’re assembled, just waiting for epoxy to dry. I also took a better photo of the remolded and replaced armor after I added interface to my best to stiffen it and finished my new belt. Thoughts welcome.

Photos:

Chest armor:

NEW UPDATE:

Epoxy didn't stick on the gauntlets, so, other glue options strongly appreciated.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2019, 10:00 PM by Christie » Logged

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2019, 06:37 PM »
(I hope this isn’t double posting]
For your knowledge, the double post is when you place two posts in a row in less than 24 hours.  If you need to answer more than one post at a time on the same day you can use the button to modify and modify your last post.  but if there is any post of any user you can answer without falling into a fault

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I also use different spices to get a dirty look on my soft parts. Mainly cinnamon and tummeric.

What are you gluing on your gauntlets and what are they made of?

Ryn Terrix

• "Aliit ori'shya tal"
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2019, 12:13 PM »
I also use different spices to get a dirty look on my soft parts. Mainly cinnamon and tummeric.

What are you gluing on your gauntlets and what are they made of?

I ended up doing E600 plus pop-rivets (tiny ones) and they're made out of plastic. I sanded down the back of the pieces I was gluing to help them stick a bit, but it kept peeling, so I added the rivets.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I've had good luck on JBWeld's plastic epoxy that comes in the syringes on stuff so far. It's worked well on 3d printed parts and sintra.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!