Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The road less traveled - Foam base build

• 12 Replies
The road less traveled - Foam base build
« on: Aug 12, 2019, 10:55 PM »
**** DISCLAIMER! ****  This thread is sponsored by Smooth-cast, the liquid plastic! ;)

Ya, I'm "that guy", who, against all common sense, have chose to build his helmet with foam.  My reasons are all explain here in this post at reply #3: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=173088.0

To make it clear, once finish, I will covert every inches of this piece with liquid plastic.  At this point, I will have a "foam lined resin helmet", witch is, to my understanding, open to approbation.

So here what I have so far, after 3 days of work.  It's very early and rough WIP at this stage, most of the part are holding together with cheap and ugly tape for the sake of those pics.  The fitting is perfect for my head (I took those selfies while being  "blind"  :blank:) and I'm more then happy whit the curves I've achieve on the dome part.  It came a long way from where it was once I initially glued the four parts for it.   

So, what do you think of the overall look at this stage?

BigBMF

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: The road less traveled - Foam base build
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2019, 11:39 AM »
It looks like a helmet. Iíd suggest filling any gaps with kwik seal before coating it in the smoothon plastic so as to have less finish work with bondo on those areas later. Just make sure you are running every stage of this past App team as you work so as to keep them in the loop. Iím sure Sep and Havelock will be along shortly.

QMU#084

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2019, 11:36 AM »
What bow saidand if there's anway you can taper the foam inside of the visible edges at the bottom when it's done to help avoid the "mass effect" armor look, that'd also probably be helpful.  Could likely handle it with a dremel sanding drum. 

Can't tell from these photos, but be sure it doesn't wind up being wider than half the width of your shoulders (with armor on) -- if you need to, you can make bulkier shoulder designs to compensate.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2019, 03:13 PM »
Thanks you both for those pointers, it's really appreciated!  :)

I have been busy not working on my helmet for the past few days but now, I have some progress to show.  The worst part is done, the T-visor is finally in place.  I'm not 100% satisfied but I hope it will be ok for you guys.  The ears pieces are just placeholders, I will use 3D printed parts for that (same for the back air vent).   

For the smooth-on, this will be the final step before painting and I'm a long way to go.  Before that, I still have to fully assemble the helmet,  kwik seal/bondo all the gaps and joints, sand, heat seal and apply multiples coats of modpodge.

I've made sure you can see my shoulders on those progress pics. Those the width of the helmet look good?

And speaking of 3D parts, I've already got some.  One of them is the this range finder "arm".  Compare to the WoF templates, it's a bit slimmer at the base and 1/4 of a inch shorter.  Is it acceptable or should I look for something else?

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Being slightly shorter than WOF isnít terrible. Iím not into Range finders myself so itís all about taste as long as itís not too short.

QMU#084

Sep Ho'ban

• Hammersaw
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 PM »
The width is determined with your shoulder armor on, and the helmets going to get a bit thicker, so going to have to wait to make a call there.  What Bow said re: rangefinders.  I have scratch made 3 buckets, none of them have one ;)

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2019, 09:15 AM »
As a rangefinder-haver, that one should be totally fine. Mine is a tad shorter than the WOF one as well.

A picture of it next to your bucket will comfirm though  :like:

He/Him Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 31
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2019, 02:13 PM »
The WIP job is ugly but that gives a very good idea about the length.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2019, 06:29 PM »
The front view looks on the short side but it's likely because of the tape. Side view looks fine so it should be fine  :like:

As you go we'll make sure to keep an eye on it. Moving it up a tiny bit if possible wouldn't hurt if it bothers you. Otherwise carry on

He/Him Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 31
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Wow, it's been a while!  :o

Well, now it's the time for the final check before I can move on to the next step (mod podge, bondo, smooth-cast). 

My WIP so far, note the that I still have to install the range finder and the range finder cover.

For the inside, I will sand the "texture pattern" to some extend and if needed, hide the rest.  The support at the bottom of the t-visor will be remove after applying  the smooth-cast.

Last but not least, I did not realized it at first but the foam build, by it's design, have this inherent "flaw" on each side of the cheeks.  If needed, I will correct it to a satisfactory standard.

### Edit ###   Flaw corrected.  3mm Sintra was the perfect thickness for this.

So, what are your thoughts on all this?

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2019, 11:58 PM by BigBMF » Logged

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2019, 03:44 AM »
I think that bit is character to the helmet.
Side note youíre going to want to make sure you brace the helmet good when you coat it so that it doesnít go out of shape, as is itís got some warp to one side between the dome and the base vs the other.

QMU#084
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2019, 04:57 AM »
Thanks for noting this wrap on the dome Bowfanny.   :like:  I gave it some heat gun therapy, those it look ok now?

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Looking better yes.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!