Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

(Approved) Road to OM! A Legacy WIP *Pic Heavy*

• 90 Replies
(Approved) Road to OM! A Legacy WIP *Pic Heavy*
« on: Aug 19, 2019, 04:08 PM »
*I've been approved!!! Pics of troops start page 6 :-) *

Greetings Brothers and Sisters!!

First a bit about myself.

My name on here is Mstruvmgc which starts for Master of Magic. I used to play a lot of magic the gathering lol. Once i get my OM status i plan on changing my name.
Many of you do now know me as i am new to posting on the forums even though I signed up back in 2015. Im a slacker lol.

I decided it was time to start a WIP thread on my journey to become an Official Member. I hope you enjoy the journey with me. :-)

Okay so for this first post there will be mulitple pictures, and i will do my best to post cosistantly so i wont lose my motivation.
Right now they only parts of the kit that i have are the flight suit i received from a friend here in vegas (who is also trying to become OM), footwear, flak Vest, blaster, and helmet (no picture yet).

Pictures:
First we have the template i made for my flak vest. I used Points Thread as motivation :-) linked here http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63411.0

Second is it cut out and put on some fabric to see if it fit. I added a dart around the chest area to get it to hug my chest better.

Third is that pattern put onto some leather and hand stiched togehter. I made it to where i could semi easily put the vest on by myself by added side openings

Fourth is a picture taken a on 8/17/2019 at an armor party we had here is vegas. As you can see i have the flak vest on with the flight suit. This pic is to show the scale of the armr pattern. I did some trimming on it before this pic because it seemed to big. I still have some tweaks i think, but we shall see. The girth belt in this picture is not mine. i was trying it on for sizing for the armor. Im actually thinking about going the sash route. but thats for later :-)

Fifth picture is the shoes i plan on using for my kit. I will probably do some mods to it, but we shall see.

And the last picture for today is the blaster i plan on using for this build. Its a D-200 i got from Kruzer.

Alright so I know there isnt much right now, but please let me know what you guys think. :-) i hope all these pictures come through lol. My first time using IMGUR.

Have a great day!! OYA!!

-M

« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2022, 10:32 AM by Padishar » Logged
Re: Road to OM!!! (Legacy WIP)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2019, 09:56 PM »
Greetings Everyone!!!

First i apologize for the double post, but seeing how its been a week since ive posted and am adding new pics that it would be okay. If not then if a Mod could please combine the posts to make it in compliance.

Second, if a Mod could please move this thread to the legacy area for me it would be much appreciated. I didnt realise that i didnt put it in that area. Unless of course this thread is fine where its at then NVM... lol

Okay so on to pictures!!

So ive dont some templating this week for my guantlets and chest. I've decided i wanted to try out the other legacy template that is offered by the club. After printing it out and trying it on (pics below) i really liked how it looks.  I also found some material i wanted to use for a sash that i think it spiffy looking.

First up will be the guantlets :-) I got the sizing i wanted and then i decided i thought it would look cool with a layered armor effect like the chest and back will be.

Next up is the sash material and then me trying it on with the new templates.

Okay so as of right now i know i need to trim the chest template way down, but i think ill get it to work. :-)
Also, i know it is hard to see, but is that an acceptable neck seal?? its on i made a long time ago for a halo costume i made.

Thanks so much for continuing to join me on this journey.

-M

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2019, 12:41 AM »
Hello!! its met again, sorry for not posting for the past few weeks. Life has been a little busy and ive also been a part slacker lol.

So ive gotten a pretty good amount done i feel.

Cut out the chest, back, and forearm pieces and molded them. did most of the front by myself but then had some friends fix those and help mold the back at an armor party with had on the 21st.

On to picstures!!

now for the back pieces i know i need to lower the a little more, and ill be doing that and testing it before i permently attach them.

So that all i have for now, i know it isnt really a whole lot but at least im making progress :-)

Any comments or concerns are welcome.

Thanks so very much!!

-M

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Hello Vode!!

So another update for my mando build :-)
Finished the guantlet closer method i decided on. Also made a kama and loincloth, and got some boot gaiters from ebay. Not %100 sure ill use them as of yet, but we shall see :-)

Gauntlets!!

Kama and loincloth

Boot Gaiters

I've also decided to scratch the sash idea for this build (for now) and go with a rope girth belt. i started working on that last night but forgot to take pics of it. Sooooo that pic will be posted next time :-)

I am in the middle of moving and should be done by next week so ill be posting after that.
Thanks for viewing and tagging along. Any comments and concerns please let me know :-)

-Josh

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2019, 05:26 PM »
Wow, this is impressive ner vod! You're really going the completely self-made route! I was too unsure of my skills to do that lol, but I am highly impressed with your progress. I love the leather Spats! I wish I could do that, I need some holsters and a trophy hanger but have not the slightest idea on leather work.
Awesome build so far, vod. (sorry that I haven't commented before, I didn't realize that this was your thread lol)

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2019, 05:33 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

-Fair warning- Default setting is grumpy. Doesn't play well with others.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2019, 11:47 PM »
Wow, this is impressive ner vod! You're really going the completely self-made route! I was too unsure of my skills to do that lol, but I am highly impressed with your progress. I love the leather Spats! I wish I could do that, I need some holsters and a trophy hanger but have not the slightest idea on leather work.
Awesome build so far, vod. (sorry that I haven't commented before, I didn't realize that this was your thread lol)

Thanks for the kind words vod!
Yeah I figured I'd give making my first sit a try lol.  As far as what I'm making, the spats for the boots and my helmet I've bought. I keep forgetting to take a picture of my helmet too lol. But the armor, vest, and kama are all me lol.
No worries! Thanks for commenting!

-Josh

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Greetings Vode!!

Sorry for my lack of posting lately. I have been busy with life stuff :-) I just recently moved and its taken some time to get things in order. Im still unpacking lol.
But today i wante to post some progress pics i have.

Ive been working on doing my own girth belt and an axe type blade for a polearm ill be doing.

Belt.

Leather strips
  This will be the backing to the belt. This and the strips are the same material i made my vest out of :-)

Axe head thingy

Im happy with it so far. Its going to slide into a polearms and attached so it will look a lot better once i get around to that step :-)

Thanks for taking the time to check out what ive got.

Have a great day!!

-Josh

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2019, 11:08 PM »
Looking great so far!

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:43 AM »
You're doing a great job, mate, keep up the hard work, it's coming together!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Looking great so far!

Thanks so much!!

You're doing a great job, mate, keep up the hard work, it's coming together!

Thanks!!!

Sorry there has not been many updates as of late everyone, but ill going to an armor party this weekend and am hoping to get some stuff done :-)
Thanks for stopping by

-Josh

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2020, 01:06 AM »
You've made some great progress, can't wait to see it w when you get it completed. Oya vod!

-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

-Fair warning- Default setting is grumpy. Doesn't play well with others.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Thanks so much for all the kind words!!

Im sorry for such a late response and update everyone. Holiday season has been busy :-)

so made some progress on my girth belt and armor. I also started building a melee weapon too :-)

BELT:
Front
Back

ARMOR:
Templating shoulder armor for myself
attached the plates to the front, im digging how its coming along
Attached the back plates as well. Im debating on if i want to add the lower piece as well. I love the way everything is coming together too.
I dont have pics of it, but i can take the armor on and off as one piece :-)

MELEE WEAPON:

How tall weapon will be. Im 5' 10.5"

So this is where im at currently with the weapon and build. Ive been a super slacker due to holidays lol.
Should be back on track now though and posting more. :-)

Thanks so much for watching!!

-Josh

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:08 AM »
Greetings Vode!

So figured id post a little update. I tried on y armor and took some pics. i dig how its coming together. Well while looking at the pics i thought maybe i could make a color scheme that im planning on doing. My fiance took the pics and put them into photoshop and did the scheme i told her i was thinking about and this is what we got. I dig it a lot since ive been wanting to go this route for a while. But figured id get on here and share and see what you guys thoughts were. :-)

This is just concept right now and i still have more to add to my whole kit.
Thanks for looking!!

-Josh

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:35 PM »
Greetings Vode!!

Okay so ive made some more progress on my armor in the last few weeks :-)
I have shaped my lower half, shoulders, and arms. Still have yet to attach them at the moment but ill get to it eventually.
I also cut out a little one handed melee weapon to go with my two hander :-)
Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Weapon:

Legs:

Shoulders and arms:

Thats pretty much all i have currently for this update.

Also as far as the color scheme goes, i will doing something different that what i posted in the last update.
Thanks for hanging out and if anyone has any questions or whatnot feel free to ask away :-)

-Josh B.

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Greetings everyone!!

So had another little armor party this past weekend on the 16th and made some pregress. :-)

I beveled all my armor pieces, added my diamon, and drilled holes for my shoulders to mount to the torso armor (not pictured)

I also came up with a new color scheme (not pictured) that ill be doing,. ill take pics of that later :-)

Thanks for checking in!

-Josh B.

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:33 PM »
this is looking really nice so far

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:30 PM »
You've done excellent work so far! That paint concept is certainly interesting; I see a loooottttt of painter's tape and time spent in your future :P. You size and spacing seem to be pretty solid, and you've certainly been working steadily on it. You'll be done in no time, I expect :D. By the updated CRLs, your shnees might need a little modification
  • If shnees are used, the knee area must be physically distinguishable from the shin plate even if connected. An example of this would be to hinge the knee part of the shnee or add trauma plates to the top part. Simply extending an existing design or giving the top part a different paint job will not be accepted.
  • If shnees are used, they must cover at least the same area of the knee that regular knee plates would.

You definitely meet the second requirement, and I think with your side cutouts you meet the second, but you might have to add a small trauma plate or something on top of the knee section.

Otherwise, looking great and I'm going to have to keep an eye on your progress!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2020, 03:28 AM »
this is looking really nice so far

Thanks so much!!

You've done excellent work so far! That paint concept is certainly interesting; I see a loooottttt of painter's tape and time spent in your future :P. You size and spacing seem to be pretty solid, and you've certainly been working steadily on it. You'll be done in no time, I expect :D. By the updated CRLs, your shnees might need a little modification
You definitely meet the second requirement, and I think with your side cutouts you meet the second, but you might have to add a small trauma plate or something on top of the knee section.

Otherwise, looking great and I'm going to have to keep an eye on your progress!

Thanks so much!!
yeah im hoping my schnees will work out. if i end up having to add a plate of something to them then i will :-)

UPDATE TIME!!!

Okay so here is a tiny update to show you guys some of the stuff i worked on.

Ive changed my color scheme, and added my shoulders to the armor.
I think its coing together really well.
Sorry not to much this time around, ive been busy with life stuff :-)

Pics:

Thanks so very much for looking!!

-Josh

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
Re: Road to OM!!! (Legacy WIP) *Pic Heavy*
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2020, 04:59 PM »
That tiny smiley face on the visor cracked me up so hard  :laugh: I really like your updated color scheme, I think it's gonna look super sharp. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your kit come together!

Per aspera, ad astra

First WIP
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2020, 01:15 PM »
That tiny smiley face on the visor cracked me up so hard  :laugh: I really like your updated color scheme, I think it's gonna look super sharp. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your kit come together!

yeah i love the smiley, my wife added it to the image before she printed them out for me to color lol.
Thanks so much!

TINY UPDATE!!
okay so worked some more on my armor through the week and took some pics.

currently i have primed my helmet, guantlets and thighs. Everything is coming along nicely. Ill be priming chest and shins a little later. I want to heat form the shins a little more to the boots i just got :-)
and i have some stuff i want to add to the chest before priming.
I also attached some buckles to my girth belt so now it stays on :-)

Pics incomming:

Helmet, guantlest, and thighs:

Belt:

Boots:

So im getting so close to paint. I want to add some battle damage before i lay down the actual colors ill be doing. Ill probably draw some sketched on the armor itself and go from there :-)

Thanks for hanging out and following along!!

-Josh

MercOfSteel

• This is the way.
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2020, 11:38 AM »
You're going to want some comfortable insoles for those boots. Funtasma are not great for long troops, and barely bearable for a normal 1-2 hour troop.

« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2020, 11:53 AM »
You're going to want some comfortable insoles for those boots. Funtasma are not great for long troops, and barely bearable for a normal 1-2 hour troop.

Yeah I plan on grabbing some when all this craziness is over :-) thanks for the heads up.

Sooooo no real progress lately. I am going to be starting over on the chest piece and in the progress of making a new flak vest.
Had some issues with the original chest piece that I couldn't get past, and I've been losing weight so flak vest needs to be redone lol.
One of my stronghold mates is helping with the vest :-)

Pics to come soon I promise :-)
Take care everyone and stay safe

- Josh

« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Greetings Vode!!

I am sorry its been so long since ive been done an update, but as with a lot of us life has changed a bit.

So this update is going to go over the fact that i am changing my torso armor design, as fiddling with the other one i had i realized i really didnt like it. i couldnt move as much as i wanted and wasnt happy with it. so i  broke it in half..... lol oops.
And now ive been templating a new chest and back piece. Although i might change up the nack again, we shall see. I also, started templating a helmet gasget/skrit too. :-)

Here are some pics!!!

I hope all is well with you guys, thanks for checking out my thread,

-Josh B

« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Greetings Vode!

So I've got an update on some some things to share this week :-)

Finished a new flak vest and working on templates for a neck seal. Also working on the new armor pieces i showed in the last post.

here we go!

First up is the flak vest:

now i know i have to cover the zippers still, and that will be taken care of soon.

Next up is the neck seal:

Now on to armor templates:

i had cut out the shape for the iron heart. I'm digging how it looks.

next is a pic of it on me with the new flak vest. I would really like some feedback on it if possible. the top is a little narrow, but i have seen other builds that were narrow so i figured id give it a shot. I went this narrow because i couldn't lift my arms without moving the whole suit otherwise.
I'm also open for suggestions as well on how i can improve the armor.

Thanks so very much!!

-Josh

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2020, 12:26 PM by Mstruvmgc » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #24 on: Apr 30, 2020, 09:00 PM »
Nice work on the vest :). You already covered needing to cover the zips, so there's really nothing else to add there. I dig the new plate design and I don't think you really need to adjust anything. While definitely on the narrow side, I don't think the chest plates should be an issue. If you're worried, adding as much as an inch to either side at the top shouldn't restrict your movement too much more than what you already have. There is, of course, only so much flexibility that you'll get there, but if you look at real world examples, most breastplates were actually pretty narrow across the chest. That armpit space was usually covered by oversized pauldrons on the shoulders. We, of course, have to walk the line between real armor and aesthetic, of course.

Normally, I'd say you might need more more ab plate, or to length the ones that are there, but your girth belt is pretty wide so the space should be filled just fine. Speaking of which, and forgive me if you already said this or someone else did, but the buckles on the back of the girth belt will need to be painted so that they look metal. I believe it was added when the CRLs were updated; it's hidden in the Soft Parts > Strapping section, listing them as parachute clips. Fortunately easy; even just dry brushing on acrylic silver gives them the 'weathered, painted metal' look.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!