Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft Parts WiP

• 40 Replies
Soft Parts WiP
« on: Aug 26, 2019, 05:11 PM »
'Cuy vode, here's my work-in-progress thread for my first Mando's soft parts

This is a bit of overlap with my main WiP, but I don't have many photos of my flak vest in-progress. On August 17th, 2018, I had a neck seal made and a prototype for the vest proper. A day later, the vest was made and the seal attached.

Fast-forward to much more recently. Yesterday I bought a pair of pants at a local thrift store, and today I finished dissecting them for a pattern. The flight suit will be one-piece, but having never done modern-style pants before, I needed something for reference.

After taking the pants apart, I quickly threw together a very crude schematic. It's not pretty, but it'll do!

That's all for now, but stay tuned!

Haat o'r an werlaarase – There's truth in all Legends

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
Re: Soft Parts WiP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2019, 05:48 PM »
What are those things on the side?
They may not be acceptable per the CRL's. Let's get some feedback before you go any further with this.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Just a quick update, since 60 inches of pleats takes a long time to do:

Here's the progress from day one. The pleats for the decorative strip (which came out looking a bit more Rodian than I'd like...) took all afternoon, and getting the body panel just right was a bit fiddly, but now I think I'll be off and running!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Update from day 2!

For your safety, don't look directly at the arms without the protection of a buy'ce.

In spite of being at work from 10 to 5, I managed to pull off some decent progress on the flight suit! I learned a crucial seam style from the jeans I dissected, and the left leg is almost wearable, simply missing an inner stitch that was pinned for this photo. There is also a full back attached, but again, that can't really be seen here.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so expect a bigger update to come!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2019, 07:05 PM »
I was skeptical about the pleats at first, but you know what? This looks fantastic. I know how much a pain in the shebs pleats can be, but the look was well worth it IMO.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2019, 11:37 PM »
I was skeptical about the pleats at first, but you know what? This looks fantastic. I know how much a pain in the shebs pleats can be, but the look was well worth it IMO.

~Shauna

Vor'e vod! I thought they might come out looking too much like something Greedo would wear, but I'm quite pleased with them myself  ;D

*Day 3 update imminent*

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2019, 11:41 PM »

Wayii, I got loads done today! Incase it wasn't clear, I'm incapable of pacing myself: didn't want to quit until the suit was some kind of wearable without pins. The shoulders could use a little more room for general comfort and all-around survivability of the garment under any kind of movement, but that will come next. I have a helluva work week coming up, so expect this thread to be dead for a little bit.

PS - I've tried it with my other soft parts on, and I'm pretty shabla happy with it!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I'm impressed with the pleats too!  One piece suits make me nervous in regards to bathroom needs, but it also sounds like a good idea to avoid fiddly-ness at the waist...

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2019, 11:41 PM »
Only a small update today. I've had the last two days off, but the aforementioned work week from hell had me pretty short on energy until this afternoon.

I adjusted the shoulders and added a collar to the flight suit. This was purely for my own sense of satisfaction, since the neck seal is attached to the flak vest, as seen above, and the flight suit as a garment wouldn't have felt complete to me without something around the neck.

I've also finished the first sleeve! This is my first time doing layered sleeves, so I'm a little nervous about how things will turn out, but I'm pleased with how tihngs are going so far.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Wow! I’m impressed with your pleating skills!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:42 PM »
Wow! I’m impressed with your pleating skills!

Vor'e!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Not much to report today. Got another short sleeve made and attached an elastic to one of the leg cuffs. I'll be sure to get more done tomorrow!

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Can you believe I've actually gotten less done today than yesterday? Turned out elastics around the ankles wasn't the way to go, and it's taken me all day to get them off!

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2019, 12:54 AM »
Were you doing an elastic cuff? You could do an elastic stirrup at the bottom to help keep the pant legs down in your boots if that’s what you were going for :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2019, 01:33 AM »
Were you doing an elastic cuff? You could do an elastic stirrup at the bottom to help keep the pant legs down in your boots if that’s what you were going for :)

That's the plan now, I settled on it as I was putting my stitch ripper to work lol vor'e vod

« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2019, 01:37 AM »

More progress at last! Today (or yesterday I guess, since it's past midnight) I spent a lot of time trying to get the full-length sleeve right. The work was a bit fiddly, but worth it! Tragically the lighting in this shot really didn't get the colour right, and all my jiggery-pokery after the fact seems to have mangled it further. Forgive me?

Sadder still is that I won't be able to attach the sleeves on my own machine, so I'll be borrowing the better half's...until then, stay tuned!

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2019, 01:09 AM »

More progress from what is suddenly yesterday: in spite of a long shift I managed to install elastic stirrups in the ankles like what Kyramla suggested (not pictured) and more significantly, the right sleeves have been attached!

I've had another look at the flight suit with the rest of my soft parts on, it's all coming together  :D

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:16 AM »
Looking great vod :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Slow and steady.

I like the detail pleats honestly. I think they're a nice touch. I'm curious to see what this will look like with your vest.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899
« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Bad news friends: a recent rainstorm wrecked my basement, so this thread will probably be dead for another week...

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #20 on: Sep 23, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Oh no! Hopefully everything will be okay! Don’t worry about this, take care of real life stuff first!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:08 PM »
In spite of a three month absence from the forums, I'm back to work. You can't keep a good Mando'ad down!

Like I said over in my armour thread the approach of TRoS and the pure, condensed ori'beskaryc of The Mandalorian has helped me course correct after other circumstances kept me from the project for a while. In what little spare time I've had this week, I have managed to make and attach the remaining sleeve(s) to my flight suit, which is now nearly finished!

I pulled everything else that I've made so far over top of it, and even though my kit isn't remotely near finished, it feels So. Damned. Good.

January will be a much quieter time at both my jobs, so I should have more freedom to work on what little I can do without the assistance of my clan. With any luck, our armour parties will start up again early in the New Year. The sooner the better, anyway...

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Sorry for the absence here Scott. Holidays kicked up.

This is really starting to come together, and the colour scheme is very reminiscent of camo. Be mindful of that, as there are some issues in the CRL's with camo. I know you've been very attentive to detail, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just a reminder is all.

~Shauna

Mirdala Kyr’am
App Team Q&A
OM #1899
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2020, 10:01 AM »
This is looking fantastic! I like. The pleats.

« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:33 PM »
Thanks all! I'm hoping the colour scheme won't be too much of an issue without an actual cammo texture/pattern on the plates of fabric. With any luck someone from the approval team will see the thread and offer some insight...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!