Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft Parts WiP

• 40 Replies
Re: Soft Parts WiP
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2019, 01:37 AM »

More progress at last! Today (or yesterday I guess, since it's past midnight) I spent a lot of time trying to get the full-length sleeve right. The work was a bit fiddly, but worth it! Tragically the lighting in this shot really didn't get the colour right, and all my jiggery-pokery after the fact seems to have mangled it further. Forgive me?

Sadder still is that I won't be able to attach the sleeves on my own machine, so I'll be borrowing the better half's...until then, stay tuned!

Haat o'r an werlaarase – There's truth in all Legends
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2019, 01:09 AM »

More progress from what is suddenly yesterday: in spite of a long shift I managed to install elastic stirrups in the ankles like what Kyramla suggested (not pictured) and more significantly, the right sleeves have been attached!

I've had another look at the flight suit with the rest of my soft parts on, it's all coming together  :D

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2019, 02:16 AM »
Looking great vod :)

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Slow and steady.

I like the detail pleats honestly. I think they're a nice touch. I'm curious to see what this will look like with your vest.

~Shauna

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Bad news friends: a recent rainstorm wrecked my basement, so this thread will probably be dead for another week...

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #20 on: Sep 23, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Oh no! Hopefully everything will be okay! Don’t worry about this, take care of real life stuff first!

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:08 PM »
In spite of a three month absence from the forums, I'm back to work. You can't keep a good Mando'ad down!

Like I said over in my armour thread the approach of TRoS and the pure, condensed ori'beskaryc of The Mandalorian has helped me course correct after other circumstances kept me from the project for a while. In what little spare time I've had this week, I have managed to make and attach the remaining sleeve(s) to my flight suit, which is now nearly finished!

I pulled everything else that I've made so far over top of it, and even though my kit isn't remotely near finished, it feels So. Damned. Good.

January will be a much quieter time at both my jobs, so I should have more freedom to work on what little I can do without the assistance of my clan. With any luck, our armour parties will start up again early in the New Year. The sooner the better, anyway...

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Sorry for the absence here Scott. Holidays kicked up.

This is really starting to come together, and the colour scheme is very reminiscent of camo. Be mindful of that, as there are some issues in the CRL's with camo. I know you've been very attentive to detail, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just a reminder is all.

~Shauna

« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2020, 10:01 AM »
This is looking fantastic! I like. The pleats.

« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2020, 04:33 PM »
Thanks all! I'm hoping the colour scheme won't be too much of an issue without an actual cammo texture/pattern on the plates of fabric. With any luck someone from the approval team will see the thread and offer some insight...

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2020, 10:07 AM »
Thanks all! I'm hoping the colour scheme won't be too much of an issue without an actual cammo texture/pattern on the plates of fabric. With any luck someone from the approval team will see the thread and offer some insight...

I think as long as you're not adding camo pattern or using any of the colours on the "No" list, you should be alright. If you need a refresher on the "do not use these colours" list, check the CRL's. They all have the complete list.

~Shauna

« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:20 PM »
I think as long as you're not adding camo pattern or using any of the colours on the "No" list, you should be alright. If you need a refresher on the "do not use these colours" list, check the CRL's. They all have the complete list.

~Shauna

All I could find in the CRLs vis-a-vis camo was in reference to actual camo patterns (such as not using patterned material for a flak vest, for example.) I didn't see anything about a list of unacceptable colours, just a list of unacceptable real world camo styles. Can you advise?

« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Well vode, owing to some family matters January wound up being less allowing of creative time than I'd predicted. I'm about to go into a new second job, so I don't know how much spare time I'll be able to wring out of my life in the near future, but in the meanwhile I have drawn up a rough outline of a cape I'm going to add to my kit:

The dimensions I chose are intended to give it a narrow, Din Djarin-style look. The idea itself came partly from necessity (not knowing when my back plate will be properly shaped) and partly from a desire to give my beskar'gam different accessories for different seasons and weather – for instance, I'd also like to do a waterproof poncho like Jango's, and I would ditch this cape for troops in the warm summer months. (all two of them here in Canada)

Not sure when the next update will be but it will hopefully be soon!

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:49 AM »
All I could find in the CRLs vis-a-vis camo was in reference to actual camo patterns (such as not using patterned material for a flak vest, for example.) I didn't see anything about a list of unacceptable colours, just a list of unacceptable real world camo styles. Can you advise?

Oya vod,

Crl's state, per the "Additional Info" section:
"No “modern” or “common” off the shelf camo patterns may be used.  Camo patterns allowed must be uncommon, vintage, or in-universe and will be highly scrutinized during the application process.  Officially barred “off the shelf” camo patterns:  Woodland, Tiger Stripe, 3 Color Desert, MARPAT, Real Tree, Mossy Oak, ACU, Urban, 6 Color Desert, Swiss Alpineflague, and MultiCam."

You're correct in that it applies to camo patterns. You [I/might[/I] be able to get away with a similar pattern to the Rebel cloak style in Return of the Jedi, as that is canon patterning that isn't too earthy or "off the shelf".
Other than that, colours are good to go.

And I dig the cape. Granted, I'm biased. :D

~Shauna

« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:27 PM »
Su cuy, vode! Well I put the pedal to the metal and managed to squeeze out a productive afternoon and evening before my first long training shift tomorrow.

After drawing out the cape to the dimensions I'd initially planned, I decided it looked far too narrow, so I widened the bottom from 25"...

...to 36" (37" including the seams). In case it isn't clear, the decorative orange stripe is indeed inspired by Boba's ESB cape. I thought it would be a good nod since I was already using a fairly similar tan colour of material for the cape proper, and I thought it would also look more than a little boring without some decoration. For that same reason, I'll be going ahead with adding the Mythosaur skull, roughly the size of the one pictured here, on a t-shirt I'd folded up for reference.

Out of time to attach velcro, I pinned the cape to my flak vest for reference and popped the plates on. I'm fairly pleased with how it sits at the moment, though I know the addition of the skull will change that–as will wearing it over a backplate, once it's shaped. I've already experienced some drag going down a flight of stairs, so I'm sure the train will get filthy quickly, but let's call it a bit of real-world weathering eh?  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!