Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Legacy - OM by SWCA target

• 43 Replies

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
WIP Legacy - OM by SWCA target
« on: Sep 01, 2019, 05:08 PM »
Su cuy'gar! I am currently working on my first armor, with the goal of being an OM by SWCA next year!

My character's name is Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr. So far I've ordered & am awaiting a full set of Legacy armor, and plan on scrapping the abs from the set & building my own from sintra, since the ones with the set are fused & I'm told it will be more comfortable & easier to move if they're separated. (Pictures of what I ordered below.) I'm picturing a somewhat old-west look, with (potentially) a duster, most likely sleeveless so that it doesn't cover my armor or gauntlets l (if I can find the right one, & someone skilled with sewing that can remove the sleeves properly.) If not a duster,  then the half cape pictured instead. I also want to eventually have a Khaos helmet from TMA, as my main bucket. (Also below)
For weapons, I'm looking at carrying a modified DT-10, using the holsters shown below, modified to fit the DT-10 instead of the Westar shown with the holster.  I'm also considering carrying, or at least having slung across my back, a DLT-20a or a bowcaster, although am slowly moving away from that idea, as I suspect it will be too heavy to carry & for use in crowds. I do want some sort of blaster rifle to go across my back, but will probably go with something smaller. Any suggestions on something that looks beefy & intimidating but without the giant weight & size is appreciated. 
My gauntlets will most likely be from April Storm & will be bladed. I'd also like to have a screen & key-pad on them. I picture a keypad & digital screen on the left, & a bladed gauntlet with some sort of additional firearm or rocketry/darts weaponry on the right wrist.

Here are rough pics of my concept ideas and items I'd like to have in my kit.
Please excuse the roughness of the picture, I'm not exactly an expert with MS Paint lol.

Any suggestions, input, help etc will be greatly appreciated!

Armor ordered -

Helmet (not yet ordered) -

Weapons I would like to carry-

Holster(s) (modified to fit the weapons, obviously)  -

And here is my color scheme idea -

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2019, 08:32 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

-Fair warning- Default setting is grumpy. Doesn't play well with others.
Re: WIP Legacy - OM by SWCA target
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I like the color scheme. Did you draw that or use a program??
Look forward to seeing this build

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:51 PM »
I like the color scheme. Did you draw that or use a program??
Look forward to seeing this build

Vor entye! I used the Mando Maker program from here on the Forums to make the basic design, and then put it into MS Paint and edited some stuff to look more like Legacy armor, while painting in the orange color swatches and such. I did "draw" in the loin cloth, as I forgot to add it in the Mando Maker and didn't want to start over.

I've actually decided that once I have more experience & knowledge on building (& a work-space to do the work) I'm eventually going to either bulk this armor up or build an entirely new kit to become a Force Hunter. I've personally always disliked Jedi since the PT, & have always been more of an anti-hero fan, so it plays right into my interests. I'm moving away from the idea of carrying a large rifle, and instead considering a melee weapon of some sort, probably a beskad. I'll also be most likely carrying a SWTOR slug thrower (shown below) for my less armored bounties/targets, as well as the fact that Jedi tend to deflect blaster bolts but might have trouble deflecting slugs/bullets (maybe?). To fit in with the nickname "Brawler" I'm now picturing spiked knee and boot plates for close-quarters combat.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2019, 02:39 PM by Adenn_Tracyn » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2019, 01:47 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

I really like the color scheme

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2019, 01:53 PM by osukaru » Logged

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2019, 02:28 PM »
Thank you. If I'm being honest, the color scheme is mostly because I'm a huge Florida Gators fan and incorporated it lol. I looked up the meaning of the colors to Mandos tho, and they worked together so I went with it.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2019, 03:15 PM by Adenn_Tracyn » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Awesome, cant wait to see more!

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2019, 08:36 PM »
I've finally managed to get a workspace set up in my basement, so I can finally start to get some work done. I've ordered my armor, which will be modified, 2 blasters (the DT-10 shown Above, and the Slug Thrower shown below, unpainted so far), some spats, and  Rubies Boba helmet for now, shown below unsanded but w/ bullet-dent filled in,  (although this bucket may end up just being  a practice run for painting and design, and I may only apply for OM once I've ordered, received and finished the Khaos helmet.) I've  ordered my gauntlets from April Storm (Rav Sta'is). I bought the Death Watch Pre Viszla gaunts, but am adding bottom clam blades and a digital photo screen. (if you've never bought from her, I highly recommend her. She is a pleasure to work with and talk to!)  I'm also now working on getting the required tools and supplies needed to really get down to business on things (including hunting down my old airbrushing set-up for painting, buying a dremel tool, sand paper, etc etc.)

(NOTE - The grip on this Slug-Thrower is a bit small/short for my hand, does anyone have any suggestions on how to lengthen it?)

Edit 9-17-19
Received my flight-suit/coveralls today. Found some Red Kap brand on Amazon for a pretty decent price, about $10-15 less than on Red Kap's website.
I'm hoping to start some actual modification/paint work in the next few days, although with a trip, surgery, & car work all needing done, I'm not sure how that will turn out.

Edit 9-22-19 -
Primer work begun -

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2019, 08:09 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2019, 12:32 AM »
okay so progress is looking good :-)

as far as the handle for the slug thrower, maybe try adding some material to the handle like epoxy skulpt or something?? you would have to mold the piece by hand that method. or maybe find a handle that fits your hand better and swap them out. :-)

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2019, 09:57 PM »
okay so progress is looking good :-)

as far as the handle for the slug thrower, maybe try adding some material to the handle like epoxy skulpt or something?? you would have to mold the piece by hand that method. or maybe find a handle that fits your hand better and swap them out. :-)

I hadn't thought of that, maybe I could find a handle from another blaster and epoxy it on in place of this one. Thanks!

I also need some input on a couple of other things;
I'm not finding a lot of info for attaching armor to the flak vest either. Any input on that? I'm thinking rare earth magnets or Chicago screws.

Also, need opinions on option 1 or 2 (pics below) or option 3 is cutting the top portion  of the original ear-cap off and replacing with the custom base/antenna.
 Thoughts anyone?

(I'm leaning towards option 1,but interested in other opinions)

Edit 10-6-19
New color scheme -

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2019, 04:53 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2019, 03:46 AM »
I'd say for flak vest use Chicago screws.  And if you like option one go for it:)

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:16 PM »
UPDATE -
I received several things in the past day or 2, including my armor set! Pics below. I can't wait to get started painting and forming it to me. (BTW, I do not recommend ABS for armor, it's thin and I've already cracked a piece just flexing it in my hand 😒)

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2019, 04:13 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Looking good! Sorry to hear about the crack. But make it into some battle damage :)

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Looking good! Sorry to hear about the crack. But make it into some battle damage :)

Yeah, I'm thinking either that or I can fix it with  bondo, I'm just hoping that it doesn't crack like that when I'm wearing it at a Troop or con.

Update - 10/11/19
Seeking input/opinions on using a mirrored green visor instead of black, to pull together the little bit of green that I'm using in my soft armor. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2019, 03:52 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:44 PM »
I think the green would be awesome. Im actually doing the same thing with my armor since my flight suit is green lol

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2019, 03:51 PM »
I think the green would be awesome. Im actually doing the same thing with my armor since my flight suit is green lol

Awesome! Could you please LMK where you find a decent green visor, if you do? I can't seem to find one that's not transparent... I was thinking of doing a black one underneath the green, but am afraid it will compromise the color of the green one.

Update 10-14
I ordered a green somewhat transparent shield for less than $8. Figured I'd give it a try and see if putting a dark one underneath works. If not, I'm only out $8 lol. If anyone knows where to find a mirrored green or shade 8 or higher (non-transparent) face shield lens, I'd appreciate it if you could LMK.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2019, 05:16 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Awesome! Could you please LMK where you find a decent green visor, if you do? I can't seem to find one that's not transparent... I was thinking of doing a black one underneath the green, but am afraid it will compromise the color of the green one.

I bought mine from these guys. www.kalevalavisors.com . I've bought a few.colors from them before. This time I bought the army green one. It looks pretty good to me.

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2019, 05:22 PM »
This is what I've been working on the last few days, and it has been a nightmare sanding down this visor ridge to install the new one. I'm using a rotary cutting tool, sand paper, and massive amounts of elbow grease. I'm making progress tho... Slow, maddening progress, but progress nonetheless.

-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2019, 11:50 PM »
Looking good! Don't give up. It will all be worth it in the end

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2019, 02:47 PM »
I bought mine from these guys. www.kalevalavisors.com . I've bought a few.colors from them before. This time I bought the army green one. It looks pretty good to me.

Thank you!! That's great info, much appreciated! I bought the Army one as well, because it matches the olive/army green that I'm going with on my soft armor. Thanks for the tip vod!

« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2019, 02:56 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12:19 AM »
Anytime! I'm glad I could help :)

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:05 PM »
I received the green visor from Amazon today, but I'm not happy with it at all. It is not transparent like I thought it would be, which is great because my face can't be seen in it,  and it is also definitely green, but*.... only in direct light, otherwise it appears like the normal smoke or dark gray visors and doesn't read as green at all. I was hoping it would because I'm not sure how I feel about my visor being mirrored, but... Guess I'll be waiting for my Army Green mirrored visor to come in from kalevalavisors.com as referenced above 😒. Once my visor and the visor clips from LToysCreations come in I can complete my bucket and start painting.

I've also gotten several other things done or at least received them and started figuring out how they'll be used. I completed most of putting my DT-10 together (minus the scope "glass", for painting purposes,)  so now I just have to prime it and then both of my blasters will be ready for paint. (will probably prime my armor at the same time, and then everything will be ready to paint.)

I also received my Dragon Claw Spikes much quicker than I expected, and can't wait to get my bucket painted and then get these weathered and installed along the crest!

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2019, 02:30 AM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2019, 06:23 PM »
I've spent the last week or so on making my Halloween costume that I'm wearing to a Star Wars/Halloween themed wedding this weekend, but now that I'm done with that I was able to start my first layer of undercoat paint for my bucket that I want to show through on my worn edges and damage areas. I went with a metallic gunmetal gray.

Edit 10-26
I went to that Halloween themed wedding today and wore an unmodified Rubies Boba bucket as part of my costume. That was a real eye-opening, educational experience! Can't see, can't hear, can't breathe! Definitely glad I got a dry run experience before I'm done with my armor, some definite helmet modifications are going to be happening!

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2019, 08:22 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2019, 11:38 PM »
Love that gunmetal color.

And yeah the nice thing is how customizable you can be with your helmet lol

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2019, 12:07 AM »
Love that gunmetal color.

And yeah the nice thing is how customizable you can be with your helmet lol

Thanks! I do too. I started it because I didn't have any silver at the time, and then ended up loving how it looks lol. I think it's going to look great on the damaged edges and such.

I have actually stopped working on my helmet for now, as I've discovered that I don't like how it looks when painting with a paintbrush and I don't own an airbrush compressor (too many lines and paint brush marks.)  I'm working on buying a compressor, and will start back on my helmet and armor once I've obtained one. In the meantime, I've started working on some of my accessories. I got bondo on my detonators and sanded them tonight, hoping to paint them tomorrow (those I don't mind painting with a brush.) Once I'm done with those I plan on putting bondo on my speed reloaders, and my DT-10 mod blaster and then hopefully painting those as well.

Edit 10-30
Got my gauntlets from April Storm today and love them! I can't wait to start putting them together. I'm awaiting a gatling gun add-on from etsy, and a mini digital picture frame and then I can finish those by painting them. I also bondoed my speed loaders today and started putting bondo on my blaster. Things are coming along nicely!

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2019, 06:42 PM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr

• Aliit ori'shya tl'din
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:03 AM »
I got my detonators wired today and am pretty happy with the results!

Also, I'm looking for input on my bucket. I'm going to add some olive army green to it to tie everything in, but can't decide if I should put it on the upper cheek or lower. Any thoughts or opinions on it?

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2019, 01:08 AM by Bronk "Brawler" Skolgawr » Logged
-Aliit ori'shya tl'din!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!