Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Mandalorian Build

• 6 Replies
The Mandalorian Build
« on: Sep 03, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Hello! I am working on a build of the armor we've seen in the trailers and promo art for The Mandalorian. I've worked out most of the hard parts, but I need some advice on the soft stuff as it's far out of my area of expertise. I have worked out the construction of everything for the most part. I'm using a flight suit as the base and then the second layer will be all attached together to save materials, bulk, layers, and hopefully heat since I'm in Atlanta. Where I'm stuck, however, is picking the fabrics for the beige/tan and light blueish grey layers. Any ideas? I was thinking some sort of cotton or linen, or maybe even muslin but I'd like some advice from those of you who know what you're talking about a bit more.

Re: The Mandalorian Build
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Hi,

Just my two cents worth from a new member - I've been mentally breaking this down as well, I already have my TV series-inspired helmet that I'm working on :)

I assume you're talking about the two layers that cover the body over the flight suit?  I'm a huge fan of linen wherever you can use it - it's breathable, washable, strong and has an interesting weave that will help add visual interest to whatever you're making.  The top cream/biege layer (the flak vest that the armour sits on) looks to have some quilting lines running through it horizontally, so if it were me I'd be looking at a lightweight, tight weave linen as a shell, some lightweight batting or interfacing and then a lightweight cotton or linen lining to help keep things cool but allow the quiliting to have a little bulk to it. 

As for the layer under that, I'd look at maybe doing the same thing again but without the quilting lines.  From working mostly with historically inspired costumes and "soft parts" in general, I've learnt there's a lot of technical stuff going on with garment construction in order to have it look so casual and to hang correctly.  For anything that needs a structured look you can normally expect interfacing, additional layers around armholes and necklines, etc, etc. 

Keeping it simple though I'd normally say outer shell, layer of padding/interfacing, lining, that way the garment should sit well and have some substance to avoid looking like layers of t-shirts one over another. 

Hope that helps in some way...

Cheers,

Ross

« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2019, 02:54 PM »
It almost looks like it's a 2 piece rather than a coverall-style flight suit. That shirt flap that hangs below his belt indicates that that could be a separate garment. What do you think about this? I have been looking for a pattern for his flight suit, or a similar 2 piece flight suit. To me it looks like a 2 tone shirt (blue sleeves/beige body) and blue pants.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Looks like he's wearing two flak vests, the outer, cream colored one acting like a plate carrier, and a faded maroon/burgundy one underneath it.  The flightsuit is a slate blue-grey.  But don't take my word as gospel, I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to Canon costumes.

And this info will most likely change a LOT during the course of the series.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2019, 06:49 AM »
I would LOVE to do an exact build on Pedro Pascalís The Mandalorian.  Iíve been obsessed with his armor/helmet/colors ever since the trailer came out! 

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:18 AM »
I'm working on "The Mandalorian" aswell. I have finished all of the rigid armor in extremely high detail by 3d printing.

How difficult would it be to get approved when finished?

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Brand new here, I'm also getting ready to start the costume from The Mandalorian.  I've been working a lot on the flight suit, and I think I have most of it designed and ready to be made.  I've scoured over reference pics of the costume and I think I've figured out almost all the details of what the main flight suit does and where all that stitching goes.  It's super detailed.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!