Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom rifle, AKA ABR-18

• 17 Replies

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
Custom rifle, AKA ABR-18
« on: Sep 07, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Hey Vode, I've been working on this build for a while and I'm finally getting around to posting it! I'm calling this thing the ABR-18 aka Automatic Blaster Rifle for reason that will be semi obvious with this pic

Yup, that is a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle), more specifically the FN model D version. I figured this thing looked Swarzy enough to be a pretty cool base. So I started with the receiver, and after being able to actually measure a BAR receiver I found that it was exactly 1.5" thick, so I made it out of a 2x10

I decided to have the stock and receiver as one piece to give it some strength.

After shaping the stock

This is the setup I used, it gives you quite a bit of control, but oh boy do you need to wear PPE lol dust EVERYWHERE  :laugh:

My first mockup after making the barrel/gas tube, pistol grip, magazine, and the block that the barrel and gas tube will sit in. You can also see some of the short mags I will also be making, they will be held on by magnets so I can swap them out. Now the front portio  doesnt look exactly like the FN version because I borrowed this part from the Colt R75 version

This model here. However that is pretty much the only bit I am taking from this guy. Another thing I am doing to make this beast easier to transport is making the barrel/gas tube removable.

Everything all glued together minus barrel because removable, and bondo *shutters*  :laugh: also you can see the scope I'm using, this guy

It's an old red dot from the 70s and I think looks properly star wars!

And here it after some detail added. Still have a bit of work to do, but it is moving right along! Let me know what ya'll think!

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2019, 07:10 PM by Vinthiz » Logged
"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Fragowump

• Victor Robles OM# 1937
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Custom rifle, AKA ABR-18
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:12 AM »
Both the original and your wip are gorgeous and I am very excited to see this finished, how's the weight on it as it is?

Perpetually confused
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Brigade Wip: Heavy Melee
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2019, 02:18 PM »
OOh I am liking this! Lovely work so far.

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2019, 02:39 AM »
Waddup frag! This thing is so light it's nuts, maybe around 3 pounds as it sits

Thanks Black-Aura!

I've also got another bit in the works for the muzzle, but I'll post that up once I've got it done  ;)

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Vinthiz

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2019, 01:12 AM »
Alright, another update! Finally got the receiver to where I wanted it and ready for paint

Yikes that second pic is bad, but hey gets the point across lol. Basically all the wood grain is gone which I am very happy about.

Now for the other muzzle bit, I decided to take inspiration from the Colt Monitor

I thought that Cutts Compensator looked properly Star Warsy and decided to copy it

I am still working on the barrel as I am not yet happy where it stands, but it is getting closer!

Vexos

• Because we must.
  • Awards 300 Troops Celebration Anaheim 2022 200 troops 250 Troops 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2019, 05:20 AM »
Oooooo thats nice!

Official Invasions: 265
Official Member #1132
Force Hunter/ Brigade Member #291
Manda'galaar Clan

Arctic Ops WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174054.msg2027502#msg2027502

Post Imperial WIP:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=200180.0

Beviin Akaad

• Waffle’alor
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2019, 10:58 PM »
I wonder if they'll steal this idea of yours and put it in the Mandalorian too? :P :laugh:

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

WIP thread: Pending
FanFic/Character backstory: Click Me!

Writers Bloc 006 | Oribru Akaata 020 | MLCS 009

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2019, 11:45 PM »
Looks amazing, vod. I will admit, even if they don't um, "tactically acquire" this idea from you, I just might. I have some fun ideas and a set of blueprints for the A3 version.

Looking forward to seeing this completed  :porg2:

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Vinthiz

« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Thanks all! More progress is being made so stay tuned!

I wonder if they'll steal this idea of yours and put it in the Mandalorian too? :P :laugh:

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

Thanks vod! I honestly would be stoked if I saw this in there too lol. That reminds me, I have a few of those castings left.. I should put those in the trading section  :laugh:

Looks amazing, vod. I will admit, even if they don't um, "tactically acquire" this idea from you, I just might. I have some fun ideas and a set of blueprints for the A3 version.

Looking forward to seeing this completed  :porg2:

Feel free to "tactically aquire" vod  :laugh: i take it as a complement. Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with!

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Family events
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:27 AM »
I love that you use the BAR as a base. That thing is a monster in real life and it will so with your kit. Don't want to face that though haha.
The level of details you put in this are great! Can't wait to see mroe of it!

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2019, 09:00 AM »
This is looking great. Well done. What did you use to make the cutts compensater?

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Vinthiz

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2019, 01:59 AM »
I love that you use the BAR as a base. That thing is a monster in real life and it will so with your kit. Don't want to face that though haha.
The level of details you put in this are great! Can't wait to see mroe of it!

Much appreciated!

This is looking great. Well done. What did you use to make the cutts compensater?

Thanks! I just used PVC pipe and a wood dowel I had a buddy cut into the cone shape on his lathe. I cut the, uh, cuts in with a Dremel and lined it with Kydex to give it strength and to just seal it up.

UPDATE time! I think I got the receiver to where I want it, paint, weathering, and all

I may put some more silver wear on it, but at the moment I like how it looks. Some of the more subtle weathering is hard to see in these pics since my camera and the lighting sucks, but some of it is there. I'm still working on the details for the barrel/gas tube and will hopefully be painting those soon

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Much appreciated!

Thanks! I just used PVC pipe and a wood dowel I had a buddy cut into the cone shape on his lathe. I cut the, uh, cuts in with a Dremel and lined it with Kydex to give it strength and to just seal it up.

UPDATE time! I think I got the receiver to where I want it, paint, weathering, and all

I may put some more silver wear on it, but at the moment I like how it looks. Some of the more subtle weathering is hard to see in these pics since my camera and the lighting sucks, but some of it is there. I'm still working on the details for the barrel/gas tube and will hopefully be painting those soon

Dang. I don't have a lathe but I am going to need to figure out a way to mimic that. I really like that look and nice! Looking good dude.

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Vinthiz

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2019, 08:52 PM »
You know, I suck at gradual updates  :laugh:

Welp, I did LOADS of work since I last posted, and it is dang near done, definitely troopable pending approval

However that does not mean I am done! I am planning on adding screws to the wood grips, handguards, and butt plate. Nothing fancy or out of place, just slotted screws like a normal weapon.

As well I am thinking, and most likely going to do this, of adding a second scope to this guy. And I am thinking of having it held on by rare earth magnets so it can be removed like the scope on The Mandalorian's rifle. Here is the scope and placement

Kinda an osik picture, but the idea is there lol. Let me know what ya'll think!

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2019, 09:20 AM »
A removable scope you say?! Ambitious but did your range finger break???  :P

Obey Wann

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Impressive!

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Vinthiz

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2019, 10:56 PM »
A removable scope you say?! Ambitious but did your range finger break???  :P

Nope, but I figure the scope is a bit more accurate than measuring by finger  :P

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Nope, but I figure the scope is a bit more accurate than measuring by finger  :P

Fair enough haha with a rifle that big though I would suggest a larger second scope for sure. All around awesome stuff though. Definitely going to be using the Cutts compensator idea

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!