Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aletani Acklay Modern Beskar'gam Build WIP

• 19 Replies
Aletani Acklay Modern Beskar'gam Build WIP
« on: Jul 01, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Hello everyone, just figured I should create a build thread for my dream Beskar'gam! I'm a commissioned seamstress for Jedi and Sith outfits, but I've always wanted to try and build my own Mando. I'll be working on it slowly in between commissions, but wanted to be able to document my progress here on the page and hopefully be able to get help as needed more easily as an active member of the forum.

I'm going to be working on a Black, gray, and greens Modern Era build.

Attached are photos of my color scheme, patterns I'll be heavily modifying to make my two piece flight suit and vest, and some 9 yds of gray cotton twill I found today at HL for $3/yd! I'll be darkening and weathering the cotton twill, but what a steal!

My hope is to make all the soft parts myself, source the armor pieces and helmet, and get it painted and weathered by my friend who inspired me to get into cosplay in the first place in 2011! Business page is on FB, search Aletani Acklay, if you're interested in seeing my other work. ^_^

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2019, 07:30 PM by Atin Acklay » Logged

rubyred

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Aletani Acklay Modern Beskar'gam Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2019, 03:05 AM »
:D simplicity 8480 is the same pattern I used to make my vest (the one with the buckles) i just added grommets and lacing instead of the buckles, and chanced the collar from a v-neck to a rounded neck.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2019, 11:48 AM »
:D simplicity 8480 is the same pattern I used to make my vest (the one with the buckles) i just added grommets and lacing instead of the buckles, and chanced the collar from a v-neck to a rounded neck.

I figured that was a viable option, but I think I'd like to have a more solid sided vest rather than corseted. ^_^ But there are still so many details to figure out for aesthetics! Who knows what mine will turn out as.

Thanks for your feedback on the pattern!

rubyred

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2019, 01:15 AM »
I figured that was a viable option, but I think I'd like to have a more solid sided vest rather than corseted. ^_^ But there are still so many details to figure out for aesthetics! Who knows what mine will turn out as.

Thanks for your feedback on the pattern!

no problem! looking forward to your progress! :D

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:24 PM »
Nice start!  :like:

What do you mean by modern with legacy plates?

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2019, 10:32 PM by Shar Dagger » Logged

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2019, 11:39 PM »
Nice start!  :like:

What do you mean by modern with legacy plates?

Thanks!
So I'm wanting to do Modern Era overall, and the legacy plates are the ones that overlap on the chest piece. I've been told that those are allowed in the Modern Era genre, and I like that aesthetic. ^_^ Link to reference images of legacy plates: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=153459.0

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Yes, legacy is part of the modern era -- you can mix and match helmets, gauntlets, etc, when doing legacy -- i.e. all your gear doesn't have to be straight out of the legacy comic references, but your front of torso plates have to either be all overlapping (legacy), or all spaced (fett, wren, deathwatch, etc). 

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2019, 01:38 PM »
I've always loved the Black Nebula Blaster Pistol from SWTOR... I'm hoping I'll be able to use it for my Mando build even tho it's not the right era... It does sound like blasters have a little more leeway in that they just need to look "Swarsy." I've found a guy who prints them and seems to have taken a lot of care in making it nicely to scale. One thing to note tho, I am not interested in making a holographic sight like in the pic, it would just be the pistol itself painted nicely. 

Pic and link included. 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/639278202/black-nebula-swtor-heavy-blaster?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=black+nebula+blaster&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1&cns=1

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Weapons are the only thing that are allowed to travel between eras, and they can only travel in the FORWARD direction -- i.e. you can have a an EC weapon on Crusader, but not a Crusader on EC, or you could have a Crusader Blaster with Modern/Legacy, but not a Modern/Legacy blaster with Crusader.

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:40 PM »
Weapons are the only thing that are allowed to travel between eras, and they can only travel in the FORWARD direction -- i.e. you can have a an EC weapon on Crusader, but not a Crusader on EC, or you could have a Crusader Blaster with Modern/Legacy, but not a Modern/Legacy blaster with Crusader.

Awesome! Thanks! I am happy to hear that it's an option for me!

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Flightsuit cotton twill is going in the wash for preshrink! I'm glad the color doesn't wash me out, too. lol.

Question about the vest tho. Is it approvable either as just navel length or tucked in to the girth belt? just as long as it doesn't show below the belt or whatever waist items I have? I haven't decided on what length for the vest yet and want to make sure both options are viable, as that may make my decision for me... I'll be making the legacy chest plates, where they're all connected/layered, if that makes any difference.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2019, 11:14 PM »
You understand it correctly. Your plates also cannot extend past your vest if you go with the navep option, or onto your waist items if you tuck it in.

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Here are the swatches for my vest! I'm getting feedback from many that #2 is favored for it's warmth of color and the contrast it affords. I'm open to all suggestions and advice!

1 is 9.3oz canvas duck
2 is Kaufman stretch canvas
3 is Kaufman big sur canvas
4 is HD nylon canvas
5 is ottertex waterproof canvas

ps, are the last two posts' photos showing up ok? i'm just using a link directly from dropbox instead of photobucket since that source didn't seem to be posting photos well.

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Imgur is probably the best option for photo linking.

osukaru

• Friendship is Loyalty // Mando'ad draar digu
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Hi  Atin Acklay
I suggest you check this Link
It is a good way to upload photos and have your folder updated
 :like:

Oriramikad - Cat #1462               
You have doubts? Rules and Guides
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Hi  Atin Acklay
I suggest you check this Link
It is a good way to upload photos and have your folder updated
 :like:

Thanks, I'll try that out instead, since photobucket seems to be getting worse over the years...

« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2019, 07:17 PM »

Starting on the flight suit pants. ^_^ I'll tailor the sides of the legs once I cut it out, other measurements are on for me, which makes it pretty straight forward.

Also testing imgur Pic via mobile. Sorry, still figuring out forum operations.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2019, 07:46 PM »

Flight suit pants done. Hopefully it is form fitting enough. Next is flightsuit shirt/upper portion.

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2019, 08:05 PM »
I wish my pants looked as cool as yours. :like: Your skills as a seamstress are no joke!

If you can tailor them a little more to your legs, that would be ideal. Once the knees get put on and start gathering the fabric, it might make other areas of the pant legs appear baggy.

I can't wait to see more!

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2019, 08:43 AM »
I wish my pants looked as cool as yours. :like: Your skills as a seamstress are no joke!

If you can tailor them a little more to your legs, that would be ideal. Once the knees get put on and start gathering the fabric, it might make other areas of the pant legs appear baggy.

I can't wait to see more!

Thanks! Hopefully center seams front and back will be ok aesthetically. I should be able to get most of the shaping done by taking in on the back of the legs, but there will be seams added. I want to add thigh plates anyways, so they shouldn't be too visible.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!