Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Heads Up Display

• 8 Replies

Corbin Das

• Keeper of the Killer Penny
Heads Up Display
« on: Sep 10, 2019, 11:18 PM »
Proof of concept, at this point. My first attempt at something like this.

Not wanting something blocking my sight, but thought having something on the periphery might be cool. To that end, I built up something to see if it'd work.

Basically, this is a power level indicator, used to tell you what the strength is for a battery.  Set against the inside of the helmet, above the visor cutout, the bar graph is aimed downward. Below that, there's a bent section of clear plastic. I'll experiment with glass, tinted film and other material.

So far, it looks promising. The clear section only protrudes maybe 1/4" below the top of the T-slot cutout, so it doesn't block vision. Besides, I don't think I'd want the LEDs constantly on anyway.

Another HUD idea I'm playing with is a wearable display, like a Vufine or similar setup. Basically, it's a small screen behind a magnifying lens. Not something you can see through, it's not a TRUE heads up display, but they're able to play any 720p color video, via an HDMI cable. Might be good for something like a small camera (night vision, rear view or drone camera?), GPS or compass, via a cable going to a smartphone,  or just something to watch videos with.  Not extremely practical for cosplay, but because the Vufine is portable, if you do other things, like fly drones, or ride mountain bikes, it can be useful for that.

Not sure if the Vufine could sit close enough to the eye to be able to wear under a helmet. Might have to work more like the RF, where it'd set outside the visor. My understanding is it's like viewing a cellphone at about a foot away from your eye, though the screen is like only an inch wide. If you aren't going to use it for hiking, biking or drones though, it's probably not really something worth investing in, just for cosplay. That's just my opinion though. I could be wrong.

Here's a rough idea I drew up on MS Paint, showing how you could possibly integrate the HUD and Vufine into a helmet. I added a camera on the center forehead, though having the Vufine show you a video of what's right in front of you seems pointless. Maybe in night vision mode, but seriously, are you going to cosplay in the dark? LOL

Thoughts or suggestions?

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 12:14 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Corbin Das

Re: Heads Up Display
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2019, 12:37 AM »
 I've found a really cool merchant here on the forum, that makes some very nice animated OLED displays. Here's just a couple:

Here's the thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=124894.0

My thoughts are to utilize one of these displays, set into a visor, to reflect onto an angled piece of plastic or glass. It'd have to be a smaller display (like the 0.96 or 0.49) to keep bulk down.  The inner helmet bar graph HUD can still be done, as the OLED setups would require a bit more space (the visor).

P.S. The Vufine I posted will be too bulky to wear under a helmet. I'm still playing around with ideas for it though. Perhaps an external setup, by the right eye. The Vufine only works for the right eye, unfortunately.

Corbin Das

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2019, 08:32 PM »
UPDATE!!

My 0.96" OLED display arrived today. See link in previous post, if you want one.

I'm WANTING to have it inside a visor, screen down, then reflecting into an angled piece of glass or plastic, lined up with my eye. That's the idea anyway.  Something maybe like this:

One problem I'm running into is my eye won't focus on something that close. I'm wondering if I can utilize a magnified viewfinder lens, to have it able to be closer to my eye. Something like this maybe?

Are there any optometrists on the forum? Or Ophthalmologists?   :o  I'd really like to make this work.

Note, I'm asking about being able to see the display myself, while wearing the helmet. Having it set up for others to see instead of me is easy. Here's a quick mock-up with cardboard and clear plastic, that doesn't reflect very well:

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2019, 12:10 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Maybe you could rig a system similar to what AH-64 Apache pilots use? https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasacommons/10561267984

The idea being that maybe you could have the screen somewhere else in the helmet where there's space and just reflect the image to your eye.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Watching this project!

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI Metal Armour Society #053 | Odran Krayt WIP
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Corbin Das

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2019, 01:59 AM »
Maybe you could rig a system similar to what AH-64 Apache pilots use? https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasacommons/10561267984

There's a gentleman in the UK that makes scale collimator sights for FPV cameras in model RC airplanes. I sent him an email. I THINK it uses a really small crosshair that's backlit by an LED. Imagine a really small black paper/film with the crosshair clear, so the LED can illuminate it. That sits at the bottom of a tube, with a magnifying glass on the other end. Then they just have an angled section of reflective glass.

The OLED screen I posted earlier is probably going to be too large to have visible to the wearer of the helmet (while staying on helmet). I'd have to either figure out some sort of lens correction to let you focus on it that close to your eye, or it'd have to be set several inches away from your eye. Obviously, that wouldn't work unless......

You break up the distance by reflecting the image back and forth a couple times.  Like this:

I'm still playing around with a cardboard visor and some small mirrors, window tint, and the like. I ordered some HUD glass, like they use with cellphones to make a HUD for your GPS or whatever, in your car.  I believe it allows for 60% transmission of light, with 40% reflected back. They make 70/30, 80/20, etc.

Corbin Das

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:25 AM »
I heard back from the gentleman that makes these. Here's what he said......

I could produce any kind of crosshair you wish. Just need a drawing or sketch. 25 mm focal length is just the distance between lens and the lightproof "mask" with the reticle. (see my video with the tube protruding from beneath the lens housing.) One could achieve that FL in an angle too, with one deflector mirror but this would require a new construction of the sight's body. You can move your eye as close as you want towards the reflector screen, the image is always sharp, no minimum limit.
So, if you send me a drawing with dimensions in mm, I can tell you what would be feasible and what it would cost.

If there's no minimum distance needed to have the crosshairs from your eyes, while still keeping it in focus, in theory we should be able to have some sort of unit INSIDE our buckets. Whether it's a crosshair, radar "wedge" or whatever we can come up with, it sounds like this guy can make it. It would not be an animated HUD though, just a static (non moving) image.

I'm definitely open to ideas. It probably shouldn't be too complicated though.

Thoughts?

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Go for it. Can't hurt to find out what can be done.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Corbin Das

« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2019, 12:31 AM »
Well, I can fit my index finger along the inside of my helmet, by my cheekbone. Maybe one of those collimated sights could fit there, and pivot up to line up with my eye. No real idea what type of "crosshair" we should have. Can be anything, really. Probably shouldn't be too complicated though.

Perhaps some type of aiming device for a toxic dart? Or something for estimating range?

There's a range finding reticle in some Combloc scopes, that utilize a stadiametric rangefinder setup. Using a 1.5 or 1.7 meter reference (average height of a man), you'd see where the person fit between the lines and that told you the distance to them.

A google search for "custom crosshair" brings up all kinds of stuff. Here's a sample:

Thoughts or suggestions?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!