Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Female Soft Parts Resources

• 34 Replies

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Female Soft Parts Resources
« on: Sep 21, 2009, 03:53 PM »

LOTS of the links here were lost during the recent server upgrade. Many formerly existing tutorials and discussions are now gone. If you can reconstruct or redirect a link for something you have done, or if you have some new suggestions, please post or pm.

Still and always needed!:
Suggestions and recommendations for patterns, styles, and purchasing sources for basic supplies (suits, boots, belts) and more advanced things like patterning your own custom fit vest are what I'm think of.

PM or post in this thread with suggestions please!

-----------------------------------
This is the collection point for the rough draft of the Femmando Soft Parts links post. Armor version of this is here. Anything that's non femmando specific should be in the main soft parts forum sticky.

Basic sewing and fitting help
Making your own fitting dummy
Drafting a body block for custom fitted items
      Basic blocks
      Drafting a more advanced sloper (with darts) PDF
Measuring with a printable chart

Sewing and fitting techniques
Burdastyle (also has free and very cheap patterns for shirts and pants!)
test fit with a muslin
Using a fitting pattern
Fitting pants (for jeans from a pattern, but really useful for any pants)
Tapering or widening pants

Flight suits/body suits
Some of us go with flight suits, some with bodysuits, some do custom under-armor gear. A big subject of discussion has been the bathroom access issue, and that alone has been a big factor in a number of us choosing to make 2-piece "flight suits." Whether you choose that option is up to you. However, whatever you choose, it needs to appear to be a one-piece item of clothing.*

*some Mandos have done a sleeveless style, but I think this now is in violation of the CRL's. If you aren't sure if what you are tinking about is going to work, ask while you are planning it!

Patterns

Ideas for purchasing feminine/smaller suits
Hydra's post regarding female alternatives to flight suits
Discussion of skintight suits
Source for skintight suits

Custom designed and modified suits
http://www.rebelshaven.com/flightsuit.html
Hydra's modified flightsuit

Armor vest
A lot of us are doing completely custom vests. Those of us who are curvy tend to go one of two ways - completely suppressing the curves or working with them.  Some of us have made very fitted vests, some are even built more like corsets, and some of us have used actual tactical vests. If you find a good vintage piece that fits well you can go from there.

Vest discussion

Vest makers that make Femmando cut vests
Mar'eyce

Examples!
Anja's modified basic vest - you can see how easy it is to modify a male-style vest for a slim female build.
Jaia's combination vest and kama
Nix's leather vest with zip front closure
Shan's tailored vest
Mirta's modified vintage vest
Ver'ta's tailored vest for a busty figure
Gabrin's untailored vest (full armor)

How-to's!
Nix's vest how to with diagrams

Basic untailored male vest pattern A good starting place even for curvy ladies.

Kama/loincloth

General discussion on kamas

Vhe's kama
Belts
As far as the pouch belt or holsters or what have you belts go, use what works with the pouches/holster/etc.

Girth belts you can be more flexible with.  Most of us don't have a straight up and down figure, so the equestrian-style girth belt isnt' going to work easily. Here are some examples of what's working for others.

Nix's hip wrap/girth belt

Gloves, Capes and Neckseals
These are pretty much the same as for the guys. You need some kind of hand covering, neck covering and capes are optional if you have the other back stuff.

Gloves should be comfortable and you will need to be able to use your hands, so they need to fit. For hot weather, consider fingerless sports gloves if you don't want your hands completely covered.

You can mod just about any glove so it has finger armor, too. Don't restrict yourself to gloves with attached pads or plates.
Hydra's gloves

Boots
Think practical and something you can stand to be walking in all day. Then find something that looks right for your armor design.

Examples go here

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:19 AM by Ver'ta Mdej » Logged
Tracyaat cuyi buycika laar.

Hey, it's okay to be late to the party .. if you are the only one who leaves.

If I were a D&D character, I'd be Lawful Good. Yeah, I'm not much fun.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Time for a female-specific soft aprts resources post?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:51 PM »
I like the idea!  You get it together and we'll sticky it up. =)

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
Re: Time for a female-specific soft aprts resources post?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2009, 10:33 PM »
OMG. I didn't realize it had been stickied already.  :o

I'm not even done yet!

Anyone have suggestions for offsite links, PM or post a reply here!

Hydra

• Awards Leap into Action is the award for the best mid air action picture. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Looks good! I was recently thinking of doing a detailed break down and analysis of the construction and elements to my armor, thanks for re-inspiring me!

Riya Morut

• Ree-yuh, not rye-uh. MAJIC 019
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!!!!!!!  You have no idea how much help I need sewing soft parts...especially since I learned how to embroider and crochet instead of follow patterns.  You're a godsend!

Normal people never do anything of note, nothing magnificent or world-changing or on the knife-edge of risk. ~IC: 501st

Only a Mando would create a musical instrument that doubled as a weapon. ~IC: 501ST

Fanfic found here:http://mercs.
I found some links you might want to add when looking around I found this http://www.welovecolors.com/Shop/LongSleeveUnitard.htm Lots of colors :D!

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa8324.html?cid=30 and they even have long sleeves shirts I'm sure that could be paired with it. Seems more comfortable imo

Riya Morut

I started clicking on links and got the "this topic no longer exists or cannot be accessed by you" message.  Did we lose some threads during the server switch?

Normal people never do anything of note, nothing magnificent or world-changing or on the knife-edge of risk. ~IC: 501st

Only a Mando would create a musical instrument that doubled as a weapon. ~IC: 501ST

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
Yes we did  :-\

We need to rebuild a big chunk of the info that was here.

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
Re: Female Soft Parts Resources
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Call for suggestions!

A lot of stuff is missing since the server changeover. We need to replace a bunch of what used to be here. Please, if you want to contribute, or have offsite links, etc, add them the thread and I'll plug them into the resources post.

Thanks so much!

Your humble links post volunteer

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Hi everyone!

I just came across these..

http://www.shopbodycovers.com/shop.php

what do you think, folks?

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2010, 11:02 PM by Tirilia » Logged

Mar'eyce

• Ma-ray-shay
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Those look really nice, and the price isn't bad. Looks like the summer style(the only ones that are not lined) only come in two colours though; apple green and periwinkle.

« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:43 PM »
I would like to sugget using scrubs for the flight suit.  I ordered a set from Dickie's and I was able to modify it to fit the way I want and I have the option of adding buttons to make it one piece.

This works really well for people like me that are below average height and will be overwhelmed but more traditonal one piece items.

"It's against my programming to impersonate a deity," C3P0

Tirilia

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Just found a new leather glove site.. pretty awesome color and type range of good quality leather gloves
http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/np/WomensGloves-ByStyle-Manycolors.htm

Dha Kad

• MAJIC #22
Specialize in CQC
expert in hand to hand combat and any bladed weapon.

" A failure to plan is a plan for failure " Winston Chuchhill

BOHICA
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 02:18 AM »
Are tight costumes not allowed or "frowned" upon Not like stripper tight but I tried on a flight suit and I feel I look stupid for a person of my size.
I'm 5'2 and petite

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Are tight costumes not allowed or "frowned" upon Not like stripper tight but I tried on a flight suit and I feel I look stupid for a person of my size.
I'm 5'2 and petite

They are fine as the top and bottom pieces match in color.

"It's against my programming to impersonate a deity," C3P0

The Pandalorian

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:13 PM »
I am finding that most of the links in the original post do not work including both of the links in the "Kama/loincloth" section.....

Train your sons to be strong, Your daughters to be stronger....

OM #0637
The Mighty Mini Mando #26

Riya Morut

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I realize we have sadly neglected this thread since the server switch.  I'm on my spring break this week, so I'll take some time to add some links.  Please let me know if they don't work and I'll fix them.

Wookieepedia entry about kamas: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kama

Kama discussion with a few examples: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=22948.0 

Measuring for a kama:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=40000.msg565438#msg565438

How to make a paper-tape dummy:  http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3633/paper-tape-dress-form

Custom vests by JJ:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=48560.0

Custom kamas and vests by Mar'eyce:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38625.0

Discussion on avoiding a "uniboob":  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=25073.0

Also, has anyone heard from Ver'ta?  She hasn't been on since October.

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2012, 10:20 PM by Riya Morut » Logged

Viradechtis

• Mando without war is like a starship without space
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 10:12 PM »
So I have a question for you ladies, whats the verdict on body suits? Yes? No?

I know allot of girls have used them, but are there any draw backs to having one, or things I have to look out for so I dont get outed when going to get my costume official?

"Mando without war is like a starship without space." Torian Cadera

Ver'ta Mdej

• Artillery is a lullaby
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:46 PM »
We had a bunch of Major Life Stuff happen - Chris is out of the military, we moved back to IL, and our house here is a fixer-upper, so I have no office to work on stuff in. I am on my tablet, and editing stuff on this is a nightmare. Mostly I can read but posting really sucks (the browser likes to crash partway through writing stuff) so I don't.    :-[

We have been participating here in the local group and I will be happy to chat with anyone by email. That is jauncourt @ gmail.com (take out the spaces). All my worklog albums are still online and I will be happy to point you to them  :)

Ver'ta

Riya Morut

« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:44 PM »
I'll keep adding pertinent links to my last post as I find the time.  Winter always seems to be the time I get Mando-happy and skim the forums, so I'll see what I can do to help us out.

Ardana Idrall

• Cake or death?!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Oh my word!!! Thank you for posting this!!!

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With odd old ends stol'n out of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

darthmayhem

• Garyth Skyblade Taakure- Medic
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #22 on: Jun 24, 2014, 05:52 PM »
so some if not most these flight suits dont work anymore and my fems are asking about any updates for new links etc...

-"O... that looks like it hurts, can i see your insurance card?"
-"First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me."
-"The operation was a complete success, but the patient died of something else."
(Save Stripes XI)
M5 #19
Beards #07
mvs #06
KOMS # 22

Jag

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 07, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Any chance that any new links are out there? All the links I clicked gave me an error message.
Was hoping to start updating my kit, maybe have an actual flight suit  :laugh:

Elegant Mando Tea Society #76
« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2014, 01:12 PM »
I'm glad I saw this thread!  I seriously would prefer a more snug flightsuit even though I'm not nearly as curvy as my Mando OC is supposed to be and I like the fact there's colors other than grey and black.  Gotta stand out!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!