Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question - universal design vs. in-universe crossover

• 1 Replies
I have a question about:

so this is a question i've been wondering in regard to where i want to take my kit. i'm looking to make it more winter/arctic themed, but i'm wondering if certain design element would be considered an in-universe crossover, or if they're used often enough that they could be applied. in particular, almost all winter boots in SW seem to have multiple straps that cross horizontally across them, usually with one strap up the middle. secondly, the flared helmets. my idea, which i've yet to be able to mock up properly, is essentially to replace the dome portion of a standard boba-style helmet with something similar to general veers helmet, with the flared bits coming down the sides of the helmet. captain rex's winter gear is a pretty close idea of what i'm aiming for. lastly, most snowtroopers have much bulkier, rounded shoulder and knee pads compared to storm/clone troopers or mandalorian armor. as it says on the tin, i'm just worried about pushing this too far into "not mandalorian enough"

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Question - universal design vs. in-universe crossover
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Star Wars style snow boots, in and of themselves, aren't typically a problem when it comes to "is this crossover."  Snow boots on a desert kit?  That'd be strange, and would certainly garner more attention than normal, but would still be approvable.  But snow boots on a snow kit, no problem. 

As far as modding a standard mandalorian helmet with a more Veers style, I'd be very careful.  Typically the hallmarks of a Modern Era Mandalorian helmet have been a brow ridge, T visor, recessed cheeks, ear caps, and key slots.  Putting a Veers or Snow Clone flared helmet on a mando bucket would pretty much rule out a brow ridge, key slots, and ear caps.  You could put the ear caps back, on top of the flared out section, but that would likely look very odd, but might still be approvable.  Unfortunately, though, the whole flared helmet look really detracts from the mandalorian aesthetic, and is very close to being crossover.  It's possible that it can be done, and approvable, but you'll need to mod it very carefully.  I'd highly recommend starting a thread in the helmet section specifically for this issue, to get help from the more experienced helmet builders in making your vision conform to the CRLs. 

As for the shoulders and knees being more clone armor shaped, I'd recommend you use them as inspiration, but don't use the exact pieces.  With the alterations to the bucket, having recognizable pieces from clone snow troopers would defiitely take your kit into crossover.

The best way to approach a kit that you want to use non-mandalorian elements is to start with a basic, 100% mandalorian kit, and modify elements here and there.  With as much as you're wanting to do, you'll definitely have to modify, rather than replace.  The basic guidelines we've used for years for avoiding crossover kits is that 80% needs to be unequivocally mandalorian, and 20% can be non-mandalorian.  And the best way to approach it is to start with a mandalorian kit, rather than starting with a non-mando kit and trying to make the non-mando kit mandalorian.

Again, start a WiP, poke your Ruus'alor for assistance on your WiP, and don't be shy about asking more questions and modifying your design until it's where you want to go, but still in line with the CRLs.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!