Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Re: Helmet to helmet coms?

• 8 Replies
« on: Oct 19, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but ive been working on something similar and have run into a slight snag. The radios i got have a piece of metal attached to the frame of the battery pack, and one of the screws holding the radio together passes through it. This means that if the casing is removed, the whole thing stops working because the circuit is incomplete. Ill try and upload some photos later tonight, but if anyone has suggestions on how to dissassemble a radio and attach it into the helmet, id love to hear!

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2019, 01:18 PM »
What you are describing sounds like a ground, if that is in fact the case this should be an easy fix, but more info will definitely help.

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Some pics would help a lot.

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2019, 10:54 AM »
okay, so got some pictures. basically, unless a screw is connecting the metal ring in the top left corner to the circuit board, the whole thing won't turn on. my intention is to basically build my own casing for this, so i'm not quite sure how to go about adding the grounding unit to a new casing.

JarekVekarrIrunel

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2019, 08:18 PM »
Looks like the positive input for the board. Soldering the positive lead from whatever battery pack you are using to the point where that ring connects and the negative to the already present black wire input will serve the same function as the same setup from the old case.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2019, 10:06 PM »
ooh, i see now! it's using that ring and screw in place of the typical red/positive wire for the circuit then? i'm still really new to electronics, the most i've done was soldered together a bunch of LED strings to a single battery hahaha.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2019, 08:07 PM »
I have been looking into group coms and bluetooth connection to listen to music take calls and answer texts without having to take off my helmet or take out my phone.
I have found several brands at various price points and how many people can connect but thus looks promising
https://www.amazon.com/Cardo-PACKTALK-Motorcycle-Communication-Entertainment/dp/B07CT4HCRS

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2020, 10:06 AM »
sorry if i'm bumping this too late, but i seem to have run into another issue with this project. i've completely dissasembled the radio and rewired the speaker, but the quality of it has dropped significantly...i'm not sure if the quality of my wires might be affecting it (just standard black/red electrical wires) or if it could be something to do with my soldering not being good enough. do speakers and mics need a specific type of wire to work?

JarekVekarrIrunel

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2020, 12:43 AM »
Having run into similar issues on a different project, my suggestion is to reduce line interference. Use wires only as long as needed and twist them. I.E. twist both wires for the speakers together, etc. Also, quality wires make a big difference and practice your soldering skills on an old/scrap circuit board.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!