Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bo Katan WIP Update w pics

• 30 Replies

vaderqueenzamora

• "No outsider will ever rule Mandalore."
Bo Katan WIP Update w pics
« on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:54 AM »
Hello ladies!! So change of gear for my mando suit. When I first started making my mando suit I wanted to do the custom route. I have been at a stand still for a few months now because I had to reorder armor, my first shaping did not come out right. Reassessing what I want to do for a mando suit, I decided to do a Bo Katan suit.

So far in my research and with help of an approved Bo Katan in Mandagalar clan this is what I have found. I have not heard any reviews on the vendor Mellomanguitars, if you have let me know your review on their products. Any advise is welcomed
:porg1:

Helmet
Surplus Imperial $240

Armor Kit
Surplus Imperial $350 (13" chest)

Jetpack
Mellomanguitars $300 (3D printed)

Flightsuit/Flak vest/gloves
Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MYLX88/?coliid=I2D2DUS8RCTT4I&colid=2N83Y1G09RLLK&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WP6BQBR/?coliid=I582SKCGMTKPC&colid=2N83Y1G09RLLK&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ABPK9WC/?coliid=I130DUARF1P8ZO&colid=2N83Y1G09RLLK&psc=1

Ammo/Girth Belt
Mellomanguitars $100 synthetic material/non leather

Boots
]Amazon - Timberlands $85

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2020, 01:10 AM by vaderqueenzamora » Logged

vaderqueenzamora

Re: Bo Katan WIP UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2019, 12:40 PM »
Hello again! Some updates. I have had a hard time finding the perfect to very similar match for the flight suit in terms of pattern/material & shade. I found this mens long sleeve & women's leggings/pants at Khol's. For the flak vest, I bought two of the long sleeve shirts so one can be cut 3/4 sleeve & I can use the extra material to make the gloves & neck piece.

The CRLs states
Flightsuit
Flightsuit is dark charcoal gray (almost black) in color.
Single sleeved with long sleeves extending under the forearm gauntlets.
Flightsuit should be made of a cotton or cotton/spandex/lycra material.
No visible zippers or openings.
Flightsuit allows for the attachment of codpiece and holster armor.
Pants fight tightly with a seam extending from the hips to the ankle.
Knee and lower leg armor attach to the legs.

Flak Vest
Flak Vest is dark-charcoal gray (almost black) in color.
Vest is made from the same, or similar material as the flight suit.
Vest is as seamless as possible.
Neck area is surrounded by a turtleneck or tight neck seal that extends to the base of the wearers skull and chin.
Shoulders do not flare outward like wings, but are short sleeves that extend approximately 1/3 down the wearer’s bicep.
There is a light bluish-grey trim around the bottom of the short sleeve, which is approximately ¾-1” wide.
The length of the vest is long enough to be worn under the girth belt.
Flak Vest allows for the attachment of chest, back, belly, shoulder and collar armor, with no visible means of attachment.

Would these be acceptable?

Also, I received my armor kit from Imperial Surplus a few days ago, super excited to start cutting at my next armor party.

My helmet should come in early to mid December.

vaderqueenzamora

Re: Bo Katan WIP
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2019, 12:55 AM »
Update time!

At todays armor party I cut all of my armor and finished my soft suit. Since this week is thanksgiving week and I have it off, I plan to sand the edges maybe even start spray painting the base coat.

I did need some advise on my gauntlets and my knees. For my gauntlets it came into a two piece so I can glue them together. I am curious if i need to cut on the yellow and blue lines and re-glue it. Anyone know or should I leave it uncut and just glue the two pieces together?

Also for my knees, I had these made for my previous kit... do you think they will work?

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Flightsuit color looks good to me! I’m not sure the knees will work for Bo, the shape might be a bit off.

How’s the shape and sizing on you? :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Flightsuit color looks good to me! I’m not sure the knees will work for Bo, the shape might be a bit off.

How’s the shape and sizing on you? :)

I'm glad I found the right color suit. Just finished making the gloves out of extra fabric.

The knees were from my first costume kit so I thought I'd try those. But yes I dont think I will from the two feedbacks I got. I'm going to use the knees from the abs kit I purchased. Almost done sanding so soon I should have more to post.

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Finished my gloves today, I made them with extra fabric I had from my flak vest. I did not realize till after I did not pull them all the way down so it looks bumpy on the fingertips.

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2019, 09:03 PM »
Glove looks good!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:04 AM »
Glove looks good!

Yay! I finished sanding today (I think I'm finsiehd) I want to get e6000 glue and epoxy puddy to attach my thighs + holsters and gaunlets before i start painting. Slowly but surely I am finishing one step at a time.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Before you start gluing on the holsters, how to the thigh plates fit? I know I had to cut them down to fit (I am very short though lol)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Before you start gluing on the holsters, how to the thigh plates fit? I know I had to cut them down to fit (I am very short though lol)

Let me take a picture and post them. I'm still new to this so I am not 100% sure.

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2019, 09:24 PM »
They will likely work, however, some CRL notes for you:

501st:
Knees attach securely to the front of the flight suit with no visible means of attachment.

MMCC:
Must attach securely to the front of the knees over the flightsuit.

The difference is that the MMCC does not specify "no visible means of attachment", however, I advise you to follow the 501st CRL as it accurately replicates the look of the animated film and is detailed in the description. The sintra parts will need to have the strap removed, shown in your photo, or find a way to use the strap into the flight suit to hide the attachment method. (Jangos thread the strap through the flight suit to hide it)

Sintra is heavier than the abs plastic in your kit. The abs plastic will match the rest of your kit, is more accurate, and  will be easier to secure without visible strapping (Velcro will hold the lightweight plastic reliably). You can use the knees you have cut now, but it's advisable to use what came in the kit due to weight and visual accuracy. Your call on that. Both options are viable.

To answer your gauntlet question, the MMCC CRL says:
"Must open on the inside of the forearm and have a method of hinging (No Hinges or Rivets to be seen) on the outside."

Likewise 501st CRL:
"Armor opens on the inside of the forearm with an internal hinging method. No Hinges or Rivets are seen on the outside of the arm."

You will likely have to cut along the Blue Arrows you've marked to satisfy the 'open on the inside of the forearm' requirement.
The CRLs both request an "internal hinging method" which implies you should cut along the yellow arrows as well. Glueing them together won't be any better than leaving them together and sliding them on as a pressure fit. Over time however, stress along the yellow arrow line could cause the gauntlets to snap. You may be able to secure the gauntlets' inner closure with magnets or velcro.

Have you tried the gauntlets on by holding them to your wrists? Do you have enough room to slide them on with a pressure fit? I don't know how strict the CRL team will be on the internal hinging requirement, but you will likely have to cut them into clam shells and use an internal hinge, unless the pressure fit passes inspection.

Start sanding the other parts and wait until you have your answer. There's no rush to make that cut, you have plenty of things to work on.
Reach out to other Bo Katan's and ask if they can provide images of their setup. I'm just reading the CRLs at face value.

When I was cutting out the armor yesterday I was looking at the 501st CRL for references. It helped a lot.

For the knees I see your point, I'd rather have it consistent armor so I will do it out of the abs I received from my kit.

For the gauntlets I am concerned it will break on me so I think I will purchase 3D printed gauntlet from april storm.

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2019, 09:43 PM »
Update!

So i have finished sanding but i think i need to do another go at for some pieces. I want to start putting my thighs and holsters together but want to make sure my thighs look right on me. Here are some pictures. Do they look like they fit me or too big/small?

I found these shoes online, what do you think?
here what the CRL says

A
https://www.burlington.com/b/lugz-loot-mens-moc-toe-chukka-boots-548783282.aspx

B
https://www.burlington.com/b/lugz-walker-mens-chukka-boots-549158858.aspx

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I think the top boot would work better out of those two options :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

vaderqueenzamora

Re: Bo Katan WIP New Year, New Update
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2020, 12:07 AM »
Happy New Year everyone!  ;D

Here is my winter break vacation, I have received my helmet from Imperial Surplus and I have finished putting everything together (gauntlets, knees, holsters). This coming Saturday 1/11 (aka my burrrrrthday) I will begin my base coat for my armor, depending if I have time - fingers crossed - I will also cut out my base of my helmet and the visor. I want to get my base coat and finishing the cut out of my helmet because I do not have the tools to do it at home.

Other than what I listed, I still need to order my jetpack, ammo/girth belt, and boots. Once I have that down then I will focus on getting the wig and making the headband. Its coming along slowly!

Here are some update photos...Enjoy!

vaderqueenzamora

Re: Bo Katan WIP UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2020, 12:29 AM »
Today I feel great about my process. This was my first time spray painting armor. So far I only did first base coat on all my pieces except for my gauntlets, knees, and thighs. I still have fine sanding for those three. With the huge help of a fellow friend, my helmet got cut out. Now I need to go with a sand paper and filer for the visor and the bottom. I ordered my wig so that should be here soon. Here are some photos.... enjoy

for some reason it kept uploading upside down.....

To do list
BUY
  • jetpack
  • ammo & girth belt
  • weapons
  • shoes
  • sintra for headband

PAINT
  • 2nd/3rd coat -everything except gauntlet/knees/thighs
  • base/2nd/3rd coat -gauntlet/knees/thighs
  • helmet
  • weapons

OTHER
  • magnets on soft suit
  • magents on armor
  • fans inside helmet
  • harness for jetpack
  • make headband

Re: Bo Katan WIP Update w pics
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:12 AM »
This looks really good! My wife wants to build a Bo Katan so we will be following your build for inspiration!

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Thank you! Hope i am helpful to your build!

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2020, 02:28 AM »
Sanded my visor down to a clean look. Next armor party i will cut off the remaining of the bottom part of the visor. I plan do some painting this week *fingers crossed

My belt has been order and in currently in the works... hoping to get it by March. Next month i will be purchasing my jetpack from Darth Cleavage, that is estimate to be ready to ship around 6 weeks. March i plan to purchase my weapons & in April order my shoes.

vaderqueenzamora

Re: Bo Katan WIP Update
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2020, 10:26 PM »
Update within 24 hrs..... what!
So today I added toothpaste on where I need to do weathering. I’ll add the second coat of grey and blue sometime this week. Also I did first coat of my Gina let’s and thighs. This was my first time spray painting on my patio so there were some errors on the outcome that i will need to fix.

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2020, 11:41 PM »
So excited how it is coming out so far. I think i am half way through my armor section. Next i need to remove the toothpaste to expose the weathering. I need to add more coats to my gauntlets, knees, and heel piece. Next step is to add magnets the armor and soft suit. I plan to purchase my jetpack within the week.

vaderqueenzamora

Re: Bo Katan WIP NEED FEEDBACK
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Hello! Yesterday I did a test run on suiting up. I want to get an idea of how everything will look in case I need to adjust or trim anything. Also need to mark where I need to add velcro and magnets on my soft suit. *note sure why the pictures keep upload side ways & upside down... apologies.

Please if you see anything that needs to get fixed please let me know. Also know I am aware I still need to finish painting my armor. Thx!

To do list
BUY
jetpack
ammo & girth belt
weapons
shoes
sintra for headband

PAINT
2nd/3rd coat -everything except gauntlet/knees/thighs
base/2nd/3rd coat -gauntlet/knees/thighs
helmet
weapons

OTHER
magnets on soft suit
magents on armor
fans inside helmet
harness for jetpack
make headband

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:22 PM »
Looks great!  I do notice (and you have probably corrected it already) the spacing of your nose triangle between your eyes on your visor seems to be closer to your right cheek top corner than your left.  The tip seems to be centered on your nose line but maybe could get a little sanding down that right side to open the space to be similar to the left side.  If that makes any sense! 

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2020, 01:25 AM »
Looks great!  I do notice (and you have probably corrected it already) the spacing of your nose triangle between your eyes on your visor seems to be closer to your right cheek top corner than your left.  The tip seems to be centered on your nose line but maybe could get a little sanding down that right side to open the space to be similar to the left side.  If that makes any sense!
For sure need to do final touches on the visor sanding, I’ll finish that up one i cut the rest of the visor st the end of the month

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2020, 12:38 AM »
Ello! Here is some updates.

I had redo my helmet, knees, thighs, & gauntlets. I added bondo to my knees, thighs, & gauntlets to perfect the shown lines. For my helmet there was a lot of imperfections with the first paint job. Also I have to get my visor straight. It may look uneven still..... won't know until I do another coat of filler paint. A lovely friend of mine sewed on my velcro to my flak vest. Today I sewed in the magnets to secure the armor. April I should be getting my jetpack & belt.

I need to do....
sew the velcro to my pants
repaint the last armor pieces & helmet
add my visor
add cushion & fans to helmet
buy my boots
buy weapons
cut wig
make headband
sand & paint jetpack
make holster

vaderqueenzamora

« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:12 PM »
Hello! Since I have a lot of time on my hand being "work from home" I got a lot done!  :porg2: with the exception of putting my darts & blade on my gauntlets, the rangefinder, & my jetpack... I am 100% done with the rest of my armor  :D :D

Other then listed above I still need to make a harness, make holes in my backplate for the harness, buy my weapons, buy my shoes & weather them, sew the rest of my velcro on my pants, add padding & fans in my helmet, & cut my wig.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!