Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New to the forums, in Saskatoon and want to start mercing

• 7 Replies
Hail Oya'la Ca'tra Clan, I am new here and want to get started but I don't know much about getting started. I would be up for doing coffee or meeting up to talk about the club.

Starscream

• We'alor
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
Re: New to the forums, in Saskatoon and want to start mercing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Jeez, 2 new posts in the clan forum and I missed both of them! Sorry about that. I'll be paying much closer attention to the forums now that we have new members interested in joining.

I'm located in Saskatoon as well, I'm sure we could meet up sometime to discuss building armour. Typically you start thinking about what type of armour you'd like to do (most people like the modern/Boba Fett style) and also what colour scheme you want to do (this is much tougher to do, so many options hahaha).

Take a look at the costume requirements section to take a look at the different types of armour. http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-requirements/

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2020, 02:19 PM »
I am thinking of doing a heavy armor kit most likely modern.
love to get together to talk armor once this Covid is over

Starscream

• We'alor
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Nice, none of us have a heavy armour kit within the clan. Looking forward to seeing the build. Any plans on what material you plan to use for your armour? Sintra is a very popular option. It's relatively cheap and is very easy to cut, shape and paint.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2020, 10:22 PM »
I am more then willing to use sintra but i am looking at how difficult it would be to do a metal suit, i am still looking for a good place to get a bucket

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2020, 10:37 PM »
also working on a colour scheme

Starscream

• We'alor
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2020, 01:01 PM »
I am more then willing to use sintra but i am looking at how difficult it would be to do a metal suit, i am still looking for a good place to get a bucket

Contact Droodles here on the forum, he's in Saskatchewan and makes a couple different helmet styles for a great price.

Metal is cool, we have a few members with steel armour (Fi Beskom'rk (aka The Collector) is one of them). The problem with metal is the weight, it can make it more difficult to stop the plates from shifting around (approval team is very strict about chest plate gaps and placement). Your armour must also have some depth to it, which makes sintra a nice material to work with because you can get 3mm and 6mm thicknesses. Because your steel armour would be so thin, you need to bend the edges to give it depth, which is a lot more work.

I'm not trying to discourage you from using metal, as it looks awesome, just that it's a lot more effort, especially for your first build. Plus you want to do a heavy, which is even more weight with all that extra armour pieces. Remember you are going to be walking around for a couple hours wearing it, you want to remain as comfortable as possible.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Thank you for the advice and the lead on a bucket, i do prefer to support local for sure

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!