Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How strong is Beskar?

• 15 Replies

Corbin Das

• Keeper of the Killer Penny
How strong is Beskar?
« on: Nov 14, 2019, 02:30 AM »
Greetings Vod!

Building my first cold cast aluminum armor, and getting to the point where I'll be adding scratches, dents and so on.  If it's going to represent beskar'gam, how much damage would it realistically suffer, compared to lesser armor?  I mean, the paint will scratch and rub off. I get that. But would armor made of beskar dent from a blaster hit, or would it just burn the paint away? How about a hit from a lightsaber? A slug thrower? A vibroblade?

Just trying to get a feel for what would be realistic, given how strong this stuff is supposed to be. I wasn't planning on doing any hard core blasts, with melting and holes all the way through, but I'm not against it either.  Had thought about doing some trauma plate overlays, but I don't know if it would make sense to put anything over beskar. I guess the plates could be considered more or less disposable, where you could replace them as they get damaged, but have them backed with beskar.

Thoughts?

Ori'vor'e

UPDATE:  Here's my cold cast aluminum (fiberglass backed) armor:

After sanding and steel wool, but not yet polished:

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2019, 11:43 PM by Corbin Das » Logged

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: How strong is Beskar?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:06 AM »
As far as we can tell from all available references, beskar doesn't dent or melt easily after the forging process  It might need to take starship-level blasts to see real physical damage to beskar plates, and those would kill you from the sheer force of impact.  If you want dented or damaged plates, plenty of Mandalorians have durasteel armor because they either couldn't get, or couldn't afford, real beskar.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Agreed with the above. At most, it might scratch/burn off some paint at the impact point of a blaster or lightsaber hit, but that's about it.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Kyr Mordha

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:07 PM »
First off -wow I am living for that cold cast aluminum.

To build on what others have said - yeah dents/punctures/rips wouldn't be common with beskar but it (and the paint especially) could still be marked up. I imagine a direct blaster shot or lightsaber hit would melt/score the paint and remember your armor WOULD get dirty from dirt/debris. (If you've decided you're the kind of mando who gets down n' dirty fighting!)

Corbin Das

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Vor'e Vod!

I appreciate all the info. I was considering having the history of getting some of the armor from/off of my father, when he died.  From that perspective, I suppose if he had taken a major blast from a ship or whatever, it COULD have been enough to put a dent in the armor, but killed him. We'll see.

The other option could just be to have durasteel pieces here and there, or even durasteel trauma plates, if having durasteel over beskar even makes sense.

Kyr Mordha

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:11 PM »
Vor'e Vod!

I appreciate all the info. I was considering having the history of getting some of the armor from/off of my father, when he died.  From that perspective, I suppose if he had taken a major blast from a ship or whatever, it COULD have been enough to put a dent in the armor, but killed him. We'll see.

The other option could just be to have durasteel pieces here and there, or even durasteel trauma plates, if having durasteel over beskar even makes sense.

Good news! It does make sense! No spoilers - but if you get the chance to check out the Mandalorian that show is really solidifying how much sense it makes. So you could easily  have a mix of both materials showing different levels of damage!

Corbin Das

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2019, 02:52 AM »
Good news! It does make sense! No spoilers - but if you get the chance to check out the Mandalorian that show is really solidifying how much sense it makes. So you could easily  have a mix of both materials showing different levels of damage!

I have Disney +, so I've been watching the episodes, several times. I can definitely see how having durasteel parts along side beskar parts could happen.  I'll likely strive to (eventually) have everything be cold cast aluminum (my personal beskar).  I might have to see what would most accurately replicate cold cast and use that on my existing helmet  (painting, etc).

Not to change the subject, but does anyone know what type of treatment could adhere powdered aluminum onto a cast resin surface?  Mix powdered aluminum into a clear enamel topcoat? Is there an existing paint or epoxy or something that could be buffed to look like actual metal? I may not do the entire helmet with it. Maybe just the visor, ear caps, etc.

I believe the maker, our own Makris Brik, said the helmet is cast from Smooth On 65 D, if that helps.

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2019, 02:55 AM by Corbin Das » Logged

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Hello vod, simoniz do a great steel coloured wheel rim paint . It's designed to look like metal and looks even better with a little space grime to weather it up.

Corbin Das

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2019, 04:26 AM »
Hello vod, simoniz do a great steel coloured wheel rim paint . It's designed to look like metal and looks even better with a little space grime to weather it up.

Thanks Jett. I'm trying to find some, but so far, I can just find clearcoats, glass clear and scratch remover.  I'm hoping I can get my white resin cast helmet to match the body armor (at least the visor and earcaps). If I have to mix aluminum powder into a paint and polish it, I'm willing to do that.

I couldn't tell by looking at the current 2 episodes of The Mandalorian, but does beskar retain the damascus look, after it's forged? I found that after I used steel wool on the cold cast aluminum, I could "draw" damascus like lines onto it, using aluminum black. After I do a small area, I lightly hit it with 1000 grit, to remove the chemical, but it keeps a small shadow on the surface. Not sure if I like the look yet. I definitely need to practice more. Need to pick up better tools too. Using a fine brush right now, but would like something finer. A needle or something.

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:00 AM »
It doesn't appear to retain the damascus look.

Corbin Das

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Well, I suppose we have an answer to what a laser will do to beskar.

Daria Targ

• Low key Badass
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 12:18 PM »
I think you can mark up the carbon spot on the beskar to the fabric of the vest being burned by the blaster fire. I would but you can take that with a grain of salt.

OriKad

« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Blasters in SW are technically a kind of plasma or particle weapon.  The scorching could just be what's left of the blaster bolt itself deposited on the surface (as well as soot from the burnt bit of vest).  A bit of rubbing alcohol and it'd come right off. :)

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2019, 01:22 PM »
Not to change the subject, but does anyone know what type of treatment could adhere powdered aluminum onto a cast resin surface?  Mix powdered aluminum into a clear enamel topcoat? Is there an existing paint or epoxy or something that could be buffed to look like actual metal? I may not do the entire helmet with it. Maybe just the visor, ear caps, etc.

I believe the maker, our own Makris Brik, said the helmet is cast from Smooth On 65 D, if that helps.

I was just gonna suggest testing with the powdered aluminum and a clear coat. You may even try adding it to some clear 2-part epoxy to see if you can get that look when sanded. Otherwise, you're gonna have to go with a paint as the cold-cast look happens when the resin is mixed and then poured.

Oya!

Andry         ; )
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2019, 02:42 AM »
I have Disney +, so I've been watching the episodes, several times. I can definitely see how having durasteel parts along side beskar parts could happen.  I'll likely strive to (eventually) have everything be cold cast aluminum (my personal beskar).  I might have to see what would most accurately replicate cold cast and use that on my existing helmet  (painting, etc).

I think i may have a solution for you. I was watching a youtube video looking for the Mandalorian helmet. This youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSuEIMpj_S4 he uses a graphite powder called C1 models C1 metalizer. Go to the 43:45 second mark and check it out. Hope it helped

DCX13

• Somewhere out in the yondersphere...
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2019, 11:24 AM »

Just my 2¢, but I'd use Alumaluster as the base Beskar color. Alumaluster is the actual paint used on the Mandalorian screen prop helmet. It's expensive, but it's the real deal. http://imperialsurfaceshop.com/alumasluster-4-oz/

"The difficult is what takes a little time; the impossible is what takes a little longer." ~Fridtjof Nansen

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!