Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First WIP- Female Medic

• 74 Replies
Re: First WIP- Female Medic
« Reply #50 on: Jun 24, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Very awesome!

"In my dreams I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of spent ammunition, the strange, mournful mutter of the dying...and it echoes." - Lord Horrar

Lord Horrar Ad'be'werda (Son of Shadows)
#201 Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion)

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events
« Reply #51 on: Jul 03, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Got a little busy going back to work/finishing the yearbook at school and my sister got married! Things have calmed down and I got some parts in to start working on the last few things!

Still working on shaping armor. Have't had too much time to focus on it, but will try to get that finished up next week. Crossing my fingers I don't ruin it!! No good pictures of that since it's still looking pretty rough.

Gauntlets and knees came in from April Storm and they are GORGEOUS! Even better than I imagined they'd be. Gauntlets don't need to much sanding work, might smooth down a few places but they are pretty much ready to paint. I'm planning to add an auto-injector thing I made in place of the rocket in the cradle. It fits perfectly and I think will look really cool once everything is all painted up. I'm going to add some tubing to the end of it and have it connect to a vial or something that I'll also attach to the gauntlet. The other side will need to get the middle cut out (if someone wants to give advice how to do that cleanly and easily that would be awesome). I have a nifty little electronic flashy screen that's gonna go there that has some medical stuff on it. Eventually I'll upgrade all of that to include my old iPhone with some of the images that ya'll have shared! Also I have no clue what I'm doing with this electronic screen thing so I guess I'm gonna learn to be an electrician with this build as well lol (I just gotta take a minute and thank this group for allowing me to learn all sorts of skills I would have NEVER learned before!)

Also working on sanding the knees. Used 80 grit and a sanding block so far on the one knee, and then working my way down to super fine grit. Then I'll use some filler primer and start over and repeat the process until it's smooth. I've not really sanded 3d prints before, so let me know if there's a better or faster way! Thankfully my day camp kiddos love sanding and beg to do it for me at work. Any bit helps right?!! (They also told me to make sure they get the credit for some of this sanding, so here I am publicly thanking B, B, and V for their great work sanding my stuff!)

I ordered a DC-17 pistol like the clone commanders have. Hopefully that gets here soon so I can get to work on that too! I haven't done intensive research on weapons since I am planning to keep it pretty simple for now. But from what I can tell, any SW weapon is ok to use? Do I need to do any extra modifications to this once I get it? (It's a realistic version.)
Speaking of weapons though, eventually I would LOVE to get a DC-15a (the big clone rifle) Where would be the best place to get this one? I don't really see a lot of them for sale and I don't want to get a junky one. Also, it would be extra awesome if I could use it for the clone I'm working on, so are animated versions of weapons ok?
Thank you all for all the help and encouragement so far!

Stop limping around and get some bacta, soldier

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #52 on: Jul 03, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Where the heck have I been not to see this build progression?  Great job!!!  Your hitting a home run on this concept...looking forward to seeing your progress! 

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Ruberup

• Actions over words
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #53 on: Jul 04, 2020, 01:04 AM »
Yes any star was s blaster including animated is ok. A real life DC 15a is huge. I've got a smaller version of it. Still plenty big. It's a Hasbro clone rifle. Not easy to find but I think it will work great for you. I've got a pretty decent assortment of pistol style blasters if you want one or two.
I've got the same gauntlets. I love them. I was going to install the little screen but that didn't work out for me.

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #54 on: Jul 04, 2020, 11:28 AM »
Where the heck have I been not to see this build progression?  Great job!!!  Your hitting a home run on this concept...looking forward to seeing your progress! 
Oh thank you so much!!

A real life DC 15a is huge. I've got a smaller version of it. Still plenty big. It's a Hasbro clone rifle. Not easy to find but I think it will work great for you. I've got a pretty decent assortment of pistol style blasters if you want one or two.

Ahh that is probably smart. I didn’t really think about the size!! I will see if I can start tracking down something a little smaller like that!

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #55 on: Jul 12, 2020, 10:43 PM »
Ok I've been working on these gauntlets this week, and I still need to a black wash but I think they are ready! I wanted to get opinions before I officially attach all the extras though!

Here is what I have- do I need to add anything else to make this work? I feel like it is mounted correctly according to the CRL but I want to make sure!! (Also excuse the scotch tape... that's the best I could do for temporary sticking lol it obviously will be attached better than that) I also think I'm going to redo the little tube because it's kinda messy

Also, would it look better to add another tube on the other side? Here is an example. And again, excuse the tape.

Next question- do I have to cover this little box? I'm thinking I might wait to do the screen if I don't have to cover it.

Do I need to add anything else? I have little spigots (idk what they are actually called) to go on the front of the flamethrower part, but the paint is still drying. Do I need to attach anything to these holes in the back?

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #56 on: Jul 13, 2020, 12:26 AM »
Those look great!

You shouldn't need to cover the little box, things like adding a screen is something you can always do later. The tube coming from the yellow canister shouldn't be necessary, the yellow tube could just be an extra. As for adding the hoses to the holes on the back of the gauntlets I don't believe you have to have them. I've seen plenty of folks approved with out them.

Great work so far!!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #57 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Great thank you!!

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #58 on: Jul 18, 2020, 04:55 PM »
A few more updates! I finished up and weathered the gauntlets and I'm pretty proud with how they turned out! I'll be leaving the screen off for right now just so I can get this done. It makes that gauntlet a little boring, but I'll be adding to it later on anyway. They are slightly more weathered than the rest of my armor will be (except for the knees) because in my mind the hands/knees would be getting the most wear and tear. I changed the yellow vial to a green one because the yellow looked like urine, and it would be fine in the arm band, but I didn't want that just sitting there so prominently lol. I also added some more writing on the boring gauntlet which makes it slightly more interesting!

I've been working on sanding these knees all week, and just when I thought I was done, I put the base layer of metallic paint on them and the print lines were a little too obvious for my liking. They probably would have been fine once I used regular paint and weathered, but I didn't want to risk it. So I sanded them down and added another few layers of filler primer. They are a million times better now, and whatever small lines are left can easily be hidden with weathering.
Started painting the shoulders as well. Base layer and white is on. Added the paint chipping, etc. Will let this dry for a day before taping it off and painting the medic symbol red.

Naasad Tal

• Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #59 on: Jul 18, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Everything is looking great! That raised medic sigil is freaking awesome!!

Chris S. OM# 454

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #60 on: Jul 23, 2020, 11:03 PM »
Shoulders are done painted and look pretty awesome if I do say so myself! The taping of the medic symbol was not fun, but it turned out great so it was worth it! However, once I put it on my vest, I realized that the flappy shoulders I had made looked way too big. I decided to ditch the flaps altogether, and I actually like this look way better. Plus it frees up some space on my upper arms anyway and makes me look a little less bulky.  Also please enjoy my ridiculous faces :laugh:

Shoulders mounted temporarily with sticky velcro. I'm not going to sew anything down until after it's been okayed and the spacing is all good. Note- I just threw the vest over my head; it's not even buckled so if it looks slightly wonky that could probably be why...

Knees are also finished! Now I just gotta figure out how to attach them.

I also decided to slightly change my chest plates and see if I could make traditionally male plates work for me with some heat shaping. I won't know 100% if this worked until I get everything mounted onto the vest, but I think this could be the winner. If it doesn't end up working, then I can definitely go back to my original plan! Hopefully will be able to get those figured out this weekend and then I can paint them! I'm getting SO close to getting this finished up- I'm pretty excited!

Naasad Tal

« Reply #61 on: Jul 23, 2020, 11:12 PM »
Looking good!! I love that medic shoulder!!

Chris S. OM# 454

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #62 on: Jul 25, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Working on forming and mounting chest plates today. I think I got a pretty good start. Since I was just using sticky velcro, the plates are not sticking super great so it's a little hard to tell if everything is sitting correctly because they keep popping up. However, I THINK once I get some actual proper adhesives going on, we'll be looking slightly better. Let me know what issues we see!

Got some stabbies from a friend today! Can't wait to start working on these!!

Also I realized I never showed my updated helmet- added a blue visor which I think really makes the whole thing pop!

Naasad Tal

« Reply #63 on: Jul 25, 2020, 10:36 PM »
Looking good!

Sew on Velcro is best for fabric. The Collar plate looks to be right where it needs to be tho which is always the hardest part. I would recommend trimming either the bottom of the collar or top of the chest plates so the angle lines up a bit more (there's a triangle shaped gap in the middle).

Otherwise your definitely on the right track & the stabbies & bucket look awesome!!

Chris S. OM# 454

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #64 on: Jul 27, 2020, 08:22 PM »
I would recommend trimming either the bottom of the collar or top of the chest plates so the angle lines up a bit more (there's a triangle shaped gap in the middle).

How is this? Obviously I would make these more even, but the idea of it? I really don't want to mess with the chest pieces if I don't have to because they were a pain to get where they are now lol

Naasad Tal

« Reply #65 on: Jul 27, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Message sent

Chris S. OM# 454

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #66 on: Aug 04, 2020, 04:08 PM »
Knees are attached!!!!! They feel super secure and I painted the blue elastic with black which gives it a neat weathered effect plus it also tones down the blue so it matches my flight suit much better. I walked around a bit and everything seems good so far! May end up adding some more velcro at the knee later on, but for now everything seems secure.

Got my armor shaped much better and have it painted now! Obviously I keep changing my mind on the paint scheme, but I really love this! It's loosely based on Kix's clone armor patterns but simplified and modified to look right. And it's red and not blue of course. I am going to work on trimming down the diamond a bit this afternoon so it fits better and then get that painted up later tonight. Hopefully will have time to give everything a good black wash later today as well!

What's left:
1. Trim down the side buckles on the vest now that everything fits.
2. Straighten the edges of the cape that goes over my shoulders so it looks nicer
3. Attach strap for medkit
4. Velcro armbands in place
5. Finish knives and blaster (has a shipping label now and hopefully will be here soon!)

I re-read the CRLs and it looks like only one weapon is needed. So if I get one of my knives done, I can submit like that? Then finish the rest later? My goal is to have this done by next weekend for pre-app pictures!

Naasad Tal

« Reply #67 on: Aug 04, 2020, 04:14 PM »
Everything looks awesome! Unfortunately a knife isn't enough to app in with, at minimum it needs to be a blaster, staff or large melee weapon like a sword

Chris S. OM# 454

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #68 on: Aug 04, 2020, 04:16 PM »
Bummer! Ok well I guess I’ll just stalk the mailman until my blaster shows up lol!

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #69 on: Aug 17, 2020, 10:06 PM »
Well here it goes with the last few things!!!! Blaster showed up and I conquered my fear of painting a weapon!! I'm really proud of how this turned out, and I'm thankful for the grittiness of the Star Wars aesthetic that can cover a multitude of sins lol!

Realistic clone pistol:

Suited up with completed and painted armor and could not stop smiling! I've still gotta trim down the strap edges and velcro the tops of the chest pieces down better, but I'll be taking this out to the desert this weekend to do pre-app photos and some fun ones too!  (PS angles make it look like there is no space between chest and collar but there definitely is- see attachment photos a few posts up)

Naasad Tal

« Reply #70 on: Aug 17, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Absolutely LOVE this! The blaster looks amazing!!

Chris S. OM# 454

Ares X

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #71 on: Aug 18, 2020, 10:57 AM »
The blaster looks AWESOME!

Alyssad

• Brii Riata
« Reply #72 on: Nov 15, 2020, 09:00 PM »
Thought I'd jump over here and add a few things that I've been working on since I got approved!
-backpack which is about 80% done

-some new medical tools

Naasad Tal

« Reply #73 on: Nov 15, 2020, 09:02 PM »
The backpack looks great & I love all of your medical instruments!

Chris S. OM# 454

SeaEye

• Ta’raysh ehn verd
« Reply #74 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:01 AM »
All this looks fabu!

You'll find that it's easier to wear your bucket for long periods of time if you crown-braid your hair. That keeps it from getting pinched in moving pieces, and provides an additional layer of padding.

Hi, I'm Charlie, and I'm a complete clownshoes newb. Kindly take that into account before tearing into me. Thank you.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!